Another "How to properly growl..." thread.

this tony bullard tutorial is great he explain it good, and it works...i think my growl is oke but not very brutal...hm..maybee i record something and post a link to it.

but after all, i prefer to scream...
my friends all say, i sound so terrible like aaskereia, the best definition of my scream was: you sound like when you brake with your car on a raven
and what should i say? it's right ^^

EDIT: okay i've uploaded a mp3 where you can hear my growl voice...
i only say : thats my fucking growl voice ^^ its very short, and without music...

maybe you can rate it ^^ but i don't like it...how I'm say, i prefer to scream ^^

>>>thats the way
http://www.savefile.com/files.php?fid=6481951
<<< aha aha i like it ;)

The thread is a couple weeks dead, and none of you people know me, but I wanted to see what you think anyway. This was recorded after many hours of growling, so my throat was pretty tired (you can tell from my squeaky growls near the beginning), and it was recorded in Microsoft Sound Recorder on a dollar-store mic. Despite those facts which drag it down a lot, here it is.

Aces High

Iron Maiden's Aces High is playing in the background, but keep in mind that the vocals are way louder than the music, so turn the sound down until you can barely hear the music, then turn it up to a suitable level.

I also forgot to mention that it gets better by the end for some reason, so listen until the end. (Even though logically I should be getting even more tired by then.)

:devil: I am learning how to growl. My Stepfather once said to lay on your back to learn how to... Is that rumor true ?:confused: I've never tried it...:devil:

Awrighty... I've tested it and it ISN"T true ! I just went by that one christain dudes way of growling ! \m/ (^_^)

This thread really helped seeing as I am trying to Improve my vocals. I can't really seem to find anything on the Internet to do with Death Vocal's and how to Improve them and techniques.

Is it healthy to growl? I'm a classical singer and my career is heading that way, but I think it'd be cool to growl. My initial insict tells me not to try because it could damage my vocal chords and I don't want that. So, is it supposed to hurt and scratch your throat raw, or is it entirely healthy when done properly?

~random~ said:
Is it healthy to growl? I'm a classical singer and my career is heading that way, but I think it'd be cool to growl. My initial insict tells me not to try because it could damage my vocal chords and I don't want that. So, is it supposed to hurt and scratch your throat raw, or is it entirely healthy when done properly?

Almost entirely healthy when done properly :)

Wont hurt at all if you use proper technique. Just diaphram push, and stay hydrated, you'll get it.

I would think that it wouldn't damage your vocals too bad because Mikael Akerfeldt still sings beautifully and growls and smokes when not singing.

i dont think its 100% healthy even when done properly - 5 hours of growling in a row or so could still destroy your throat for some time.
but maybe im wrong o=

The.Jester.Race said:
i dont think its 100% healthy even when done properly - 5 hours of growling in a row or so could still destroy your throat for some time.
but maybe im wrong o=

Yeah, maybe it's just me and my paranoia about keeping a healthy voice, but I find it hard to believe that growling in any capacity can be 100% healthy.

If you're a classical singer, it's not exactly good for your throat, no, but neither is drinking milk or fizzy beverages. If you're really worried about keeping your voice at its peak then just avoid it altogether. However, there are plenty of singers who've been screaming and growling and singing well for years and show no signs of stopping. I guess it really depends on what you want to do, and what it's worth to you.

I did one session with a classical singer running the board, and he was amazed that after 2 solid hours of screaming and snarling, my speaking voice was clear and healthy and not at all raspy. I think most of the problems people encounter with harsh vocals are just like any other style of singing or playing- poor technique.

Randy from LoG has to sing 12h at the row for the moment because their taking their new album
The only problems he gat for so far as i know is headache's