Another "How to properly growl..." thread.

Drudkh said:
I have a question. Over the last week i had a really bad cold and now im pretty much back to normal, but now i cant growl the same. I cant seem to go as low or high or growl as long as i used to, and it just sounds like shit. I havent got a sore throat or anything anymore but i still got a lot of mucus coughing up. Anyway, im a bit worried. This ever happened to any of you guys, and did your voice go back to normal after a while.

I got a cold too and my throat was destoyed because I coughed for days. I'm back to normal and I had no problems with growling, screaming, howling or anything. You should drink some medicines and fix your throat, so you'll be ok again, at least I hope.:Spin:

Gah I've been trying to learn to growl .....it's coming along slowly.

Here is something I recorded about 2 months ago on my Digital Camera (worst quality, but you get the idea).

My biggest problem is endurance. I have improved greatly over these last 2 months but I've still got a long way to go.

http://s87335129.onlinehome.us/a.mp3

Alright, I've been attempting to scream/growl for a while. My growl needs a lot of work, but I would like some feedback on how my vocals sound.

www.myspace.com/inwakingwater

That's my band, and I am the vocalist. Feedback is much appreciated on the vocals. I'm still trying techniques.

it's weird......you shouldn;t try to do it like a growl, cuz then it becomes raspy/bad black metal sounding. You have to do it with the "back top" of your mouth. It's hard to explain. If you take vocal lessons, they teach you the technique to get higher pitch sounds. If you use the same tchnique with high pitch screams it works well. But again, it all comes with experience.

Flal said:
I think Bloodbath should have a reality show with auditions for new singers =) lol, I hate reality shows but theres a show i would watch =)

Haha! Great Idee, I fully support you in this one
Atlast something interesting on the tv :D

This is me, after a couple of months of examing, and 3/4 of the period I had troath problems, even now i've still got them (you will hear it because it sounds false sometimes)
It doensn't sound completely the same like the normal track but I just made my own version of it :D

http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?cat=audio&file=1023cold.wav

Flal said:
it's weird......you shouldn;t try to do it like a growl, cuz then it becomes raspy/bad black metal sounding. You have to do it with the "back top" of your mouth. It's hard to explain. If you take vocal lessons, they teach you the technique to get higher pitch sounds. If you use the same tchnique with high pitch screams it works well. But again, it all comes with experience.

That's what I do, if you listened to my band's song, the part right before the break down is where I scream high pitched. Everyone says that's not how I should do it though >_>

I do not know if i'm using the right technique, so it would be helpful if someone could give me an advice!

I'm sure that i'm using the diaphragm to growl/shout! My stomach is moving up and down while i'm singing! I don't loose my voice after a couple of songs (about 12 songs) and it does not hurt! Justif i smoke a cigarett after i sang, it hurts a little bit in my throat (not much)! I don't wantto destroy my voice so is it normal that it hurts if i smoke a cigarett after growling or shouting?

Besides, I don't tighten my throat while singing, and, in my opinion, it sounds good :)

Sorry for my bad english

I growled over Outnumbering The Day. I think it sounds decent. I'll try and post it.

The first 2 highs suck ass, so please ignore them XD I'm working it.

@Goober: Try to sing some words here, it's "easy" to do such growling but it's alot harder to make a structure in it and scream words that are "understandable"
I don't say it sounds bad though, ure on the right track

I practice my voice alot. I´m not in a band but my goal is to become singer in a metalband (I´m actually trying out for a local band tomorrow).
When I practice my singing/growling/screaming I listen to bands I like, to try to immitate the singing. Bands I pratice to are for example Corporation 187, to get the higher pitches. Deicide to dig deep into the growling. And when I want to practice both together I sing-a-long with Lamb of God.
Lamb of God is perfect when I want to practice both deep growl and higher pitches together. It also gives me training in stamina, and using all the air in my lungs.

Another good practice is to growl-a-long with songs thats doesn´t contain growls, or any type of metalsong. It gives me practice in pronouncing words.

I will record my singing and post a link here so that you can hear how I sound.

//misantrope of sweden

misantrope said:
I practice my voice alot. I´m not in a band but my goal is to become singer in a metalband (I´m actually trying out for a local band tomorrow).
When I practice my singing/growling/screaming I listen to bands I like, to try to immitate the singing. Bands I pratice to are for example Corporation 187, to get the higher pitches. Deicide to dig deep into the growling. And when I want to practice both together I sing-a-long with Lamb of God.
Lamb of God is perfect when I want to practice both deep growl and higher pitches together. It also gives me training in stamina, and using all the air in my lungs.

Another good practice is to growl-a-long with songs thats doesn´t contain growls, or any type of metalsong. It gives me practice in pronouncing words.

I will record my singing and post a link here so that you can hear how I sound.

//misantrope of sweden

Well isn't that nice. I practise my high and normal growls with the songs from Lamb of God to :D