Another "How to properly growl..." thread.

is it normal that if i'm growl 3-4 songs without having water between them, than I can't growl for 20-30 sec?

yea...you gotta drink water, not just so that you can growl better, but to soften/lubricate your throat so that you don't fuck anything up :p

I've been following this thread since it was created and been trying to growl, but it's been useless. I watched the Tony Bullard tutorial when it was first posted, and there has been a lot of differing advice in this thread. I understand that air has to be pushed out really hard from the stomach area, using the diaphragm. However, I don't understand if the throat is supposed to be used or not? The only way I can get any sort of growl is if I create a sort of gurgle in my throat my constricting my neck/throat muscles and tightening my jaw. Otherwise it just sounds like air being pushed out of my mouth. After a short while, my throat starts to feel raw. I keep on going, but it sounds like shit at this point. What is the correct way to create the actual growl sound? I am going for a Mikael Akerfeldt sort of growl.

I've been following this thread since it was created and been trying to growl, but it's been useless. I watched the Tony Bullard tutorial when it was first posted, and there has been a lot of differing advice in this thread. I understand that air has to be pushed out really hard from the stomach area, using the diaphragm. However, I don't understand if the throat is supposed to be used or not? The only way I can get any sort of growl is if I create a sort of gurgle in my throat my constricting my neck/throat muscles and tightening my jaw. Otherwise it just sounds like air being pushed out of my mouth. After a short while, my throat starts to feel raw. I keep on going, but it sounds like shit at this point. What is the correct way to create the actual growl sound? I am going for a Mikael Akerfeldt sort of growl.

I'm at the same point. I went straight for 2 hours trying to sound like Johan Hegg (an easy starter) from amon amarth and I got close at times but I don't think I'm doing it right yet. I do use my throat very minimal but it IS still creating the distorting sound. Pretty sure mikael doesn't simply trap saliva in the back of his throat and tighten his lips then push out air.

Hook or Delta should give an updated run-through just to see if we are missing even 1 thing. Drives me nuts because I know I have the right tone for it. Just stumbling upon the technique is a bitch

i like my sound i just cant hold a long growl my record is like 4.5 seconds `_`
so whos the best growler on this board?:Smokedev:

Ok, so, even though extremely insecure about the recording I'll share with you my progress. I understand you can still hear Johan at points and that I do mess up alot (partly due to the previous hour and a half of practicing) but as you can tell I do hit the right spots now and then. Or so it seems.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/11/6/353665/With Oden on Our Side - Me.mp3

Am I pointed in the right direction and just need more practice? Perhaps I'm missing something? Or even the famous answer, "You're trying too hard"

I would definitely try to turn the background down just a notch to be able to separate you and him a bit, but honestly I thought it was pretty good from what I could tell man. :D

Certainly better than some of the other efforts in this thread.

-D

Well if someone knows a good karaoke song-making program I can DL I'll gladly re-do it when I get some time to myself. Honestly that was a big break-through day for me with my growling so I'm sure it sounds a bit better by now since I know how to get there nice and easy.

Thanks alot for the compliment Dusty, it's always nice to have a little extra incentive to keep practicing.

Sounds like you're making some improvement Emetic. It's been a while since I've heard something of yours. Yeah your voice is slightly pushed aside by Johan's though due to volume of the song, but it sounds like progress, more than most people's progress anyways.

Nah, it just ends up sounding like noise coming out of a tube. I tried a couple different ones and all with the same result. I'll just try it again and turn down the actual song a bit more perhaps.

Yeah, ultimately all I would want to hear is you. So maybe try playing the songs through your headphones and then sing into a mic? I know it helps your security to have the guitars playing and even a little bit of his vocals to sort of cruise you through, but that isn't the goal is it?

The idea is the hear what you sound like...and I think you are at least to the point of viable critique as opposed to "BWAHAHAHAHAAHHAAHAHAHAHAH" type of stuff. So let us hear ya man :D

-D