Another "How to properly growl..." thread.

Ive got a question about the whole growling thing and you guys seem to know about this quite well so I hope you can help me out. I can produce the growls and screams and such to what I think is pretty good, the only probly is it seems like my throat doesn't want to keep it going. After alittle bit (always randomly, sometimes after a couple minutes, sometimes ten minutes) I can't make the growls or screams at all...its just me pushing out nothing but hot air, almost as if my throat is dried up or something. If I go take a little break and get something to drink and wait a couple minutes or so I can usually jump right back into it but then the process just rinses and repeats. This is a problem because I would like to join a band but I can't just take a three minute break in the middle of a song, let alone make it through a whole set like that...so Ive got a couple questions. Could the growls and screams just be coming from my saliva alone and it all dries up so no more growls (if so....how do I stop that and make growls like a real man), am i just growling-handicapped, or do I just need lots more practice? Any help is appreciated. :)

When I practice with my band I last about an hour hour and a half, but I have your problem when I play concerts. Solution? I chew gum on stage. Since you're building your endurance, try chewing gum, then try without. Eventually you'll build a good endurance.

I gotta get my mouth and throat really wet, and roar/growl using the bottom of my throat. It makes me sound exactly like Tagtgren or, if I like "narrow" it, I can sound a little like Muhammed Suicmez. You have to use your mouth and cheeks to like, guide the vocal, so it comes out smooth and controlled.

My promblem is that my mouth runs completely dry in like, sometimes less than a minute... Makes it fucking hard to maintain a solid recording because I have to keep going back and re-recording vocals... Makes it hard to be consistant. Pop is the best lubrication, or milk, because they stay in your throat. Water just makes your throat dry because you swallow all your spit, I find.

I don't know why, but people on this thread have said not to drink milk when doing vocals. For some reason I want to believe them.... I know that pop isn't good because it dehydrates you for a while and destroys your throat. Drink a honey tea mix

I think everyone should read Hook_David's posts. He's probably the best one here from what I've heard. Maybe Delta but I havent listened to enough of his.

Very interesting thread!
I growled along today to "I killed the prom queen - shark's in your mouth".
My mic sucks and I am a beginner, but what do you guys think of this part?

http://www.mediafire.com/?tjeu0rmbpm1

dunno man, sounds more like you are burping, or like some dude that doesn't listen to metal and is trying to make fun of metal :p

it's too low..

well.. practice makes perfect

Does anybody know what technique Jason Mendonca of Akercocke might use for his growls?

On the Akercocke forum he once claimed to use a "very traditional" technique, but his growls sound pretty far from traditional to me.

I'd love to know how he gets that unique sound.

^I dunno man, sounds a bit like piggy voice meets Nile lol

here's me trying the "frying" technique instead of the usual growl I use on Bathe in Blood instrumental Flal sent me

I'm only proud of the 15 seconds or so scream/growl/wtv I make at the end

click

So hey, it's me again, this time I tried for a more natural scream in the first half followed by a pretty natural growl, trying not to go low and just getting volume, here's a link (it's streamable for once) :

http://boomp3.com/m/04e164de1618/valhall-awaits-me-attempt-at-a-growl

Thoughts? I don't really expect advice, there's plenty of that in the thread and personally at 14 I'm not exactly trying too hard anyway, it's not serious, just how does it sound, any improvement on my earlier stuff?

Cheers.