Another "How to properly growl..." thread.

So hey, it's me again, this time I tried for a more natural scream in the first half followed by a pretty natural growl, trying not to go low and just getting volume, here's a link (it's streamable for once) :

http://boomp3.com/m/04e164de1618/valhall-awaits-me-attempt-at-a-growl

Thoughts? I don't really expect advice, there's plenty of that in the thread and personally at 14 I'm not exactly trying too hard anyway, it's not serious, just how does it sound, any improvement on my earlier stuff?

Cheers.

Try cooking or bagging groceries.

So hey, it's me again, this time I tried for a more natural scream in the first half followed by a pretty natural growl, trying not to go low and just getting volume, here's a link (it's streamable for once) :

http://boomp3.com/m/04e164de1618/valhall-awaits-me-attempt-at-a-growl

Thoughts? I don't really expect advice, there's plenty of that in the thread and personally at 14 I'm not exactly trying too hard anyway, it's not serious, just how does it sound, any improvement on my earlier stuff?

Cheers.

Sorry man, i don't see any improvement. You're not even growling! You're just breathing hard. Again, DON'T listen to the Zen of Screaming if you want to do a growl.

Sorry man, i don't see any improvement. You're not even growling! You're just breathing hard. Again, DON'T listen to the Zen of Screaming if you want to do a growl.

Heh, it's fine, I guess I'm just not cut out for growling, shame, but it's either something you can do or can't. Cheers anyway, and I'll stop bothering you all with it now!

Try cooking or bagging groceries.

Try not being an ass.

Yeah, I think what sounds messed up is that it seems like you are like whispering or something and trying to be quiet so you don't wake someone up. Wait till you are alone in your house and just belt that shit out. It's possible you'll lose that weird "breathing hard" thing that Flal mentioned.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but I really did picture you sitting in the dark underneath a blanket with a flashlight and reading lyrics off the cd booklet and that isn't what you want I don't think. ;)

Best of luck :D

-D

It wasn't a review, it was an insult, I really wouldn't have cared if you would just have posted 'terrible', but your comment was just obnoxious and the typical 'lolteenager' comment which I could get on any other site.

you'd get much harsher reviews on your vocals in other places so be glad.
Yeah, I'm so glad that you posted that helpful piece of information... :rolleyes: Right, I am actually glad that the other people said I was crap in more constructive and amusing ways, hell, I'm still getting advice, which is nice.

Face the facts

Face the facts? Because I really won't accept what everyone is saying right now- oh wait, did you read the rest of my post?

Anyways, cheers all, I really am quite impossible to offend (even though I get irritated by internet 'tough guys' like this ball sack), so thanks for the comments. Like I said, I probably won't ever be able to growl decently, but I can't dance for crap either, does that stop me doing it for fun? Nah.

Crimson, check out the Tony Bullard tutorial on the first page of this thread. It's probably the best growling guide I've seen so far. I like it because anyone can do it. If you keep at it, you probably won't sound like Mike A, but you'll get something decent after a few months. Growling is like any instrument; you have to give it time to develop. It took me about 2 months of solid practice to get a good growl. And yes, it will hurt in the beginning. Just tough it out :)

lol, and don't worry about life depraved :), although he is right, you'd get much harsher critics in other forums.

Hey...doesn't bother me one bit. If someone told me that, I'd actually try harder...which I did and it got me better. I'm no internet tuff guy, sorry to let you know.

And cooking is fun.

Crimson, you're saying that growling is something you can do or can't...I think growling is one of the things where the one who works most at it gets best at it. I'm trying to get a growl down, it still sounds a bit stupid but I'm getting there. Just practice often and don't fuck up your voice and it will come with time, I should think. I also think that you really need to be louder...like others said, it sounds like you're whispering.

Hey peeps, noob here. Just need some opinions on my vocals. I used to be able to growl well, but for some reason these days I can only pull screams, which I definitely don't need that much.

http://bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3755366788

This is my band (a joke obviously but we're discussing starting a real one) and my recent vocals can be heard on Mary Had A Little Lamb Remastered.

By the way, I know we suck. This project was just for fun and we used a drum machine so no BS please?

I think the distortion added a little "un-rawness" to your real sound (hence making it sound a little better than if it was on a clean channel), although I've heard much worse. Unless it was intentional, my only really comment is that the timing of of breaths was pretty bad. Not breathing properly can ruin an otherwise great growl/scream. But yeah, keep at it and I'm sure you'll get something good within a few weeks. At least you're not trying to whisper everything.....

Thanks man. Yeah the timing was really off because that particular day I couldn't muster up the strength to do the entire song in one go and had to do it in sections so it came out pretty screwed. But I'll keep it in mind for the future. Appreciate it!

i can only hold growl for like 3 seconds, help
maybe i need a nose surgery?:zombie:

lol crimson u know when u started singing valhall awaits me... u know who u reminded me of?
that little elf thing out of the lord of the rings :rofl:
not being rude or anything just saying....

and btw keep practicing u will get better and u will eventually be able to growl... everyone has to start somwhere.