Another "How to properly growl..." thread.

I started trying to growl last week, and I've read through this entire thread at least 4 times in one week now (>_<) and, there's only one thing I'm wondering. When I try to hold a note for long, I run out of air super fast, are there any good tips on this or will I just keep trying and hope for it to get better?

And, since that tony bullard file posted on the first poage or something doesn't work, I found a working link and I thought I could post it incase someone wants to check it out or something. http://www.tonybullard.com/media/Tony_Bullard_-_Metal_Vocal_Tutorial.mp3

well i guess you might need to learn how to manage your air use, maybe your putting to much air and not enough voice, or relying to much on it, i mean im no growler but i remember some of this from my grade 3 music class:lol:

seems like a strange start, i started on system of a down actually, then i really got into metallica(old metallica) and megadeath, really a lot of 80's stuff, then i was kinda into stuff like killswitch engage and lamb of god and trivium, then i heard opeth and it opened up a lot of doors for a lot of progressive and death metal bands, and eventually black metal followed, first with dragonlord and old man's child, then with nattefrost, carpathian forest, baothry emperor and stuff, so i guess i had a pretty standard start, i still love some of the first stuff i got into though

Hah, I started with system of a down too :lol: It was kind of the first metal I ever heard so I was pretty much blown away. Nowdays, soad feels kind of lame, though it brings me a lot of memories. :)

Here is a little clip of me growling, I know its not anything like pefect or so, and I'm just 15 years old. It was like 2 months ago and I think i've got better by now. You dont have to comment or rate on video, but i would appreciate if you could give me some feedback here at this forum.

The video is found in here:

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I started trying to growl last week, and I've read through this entire thread at least 4 times in one week now (>_<) and, there's only one thing I'm wondering. When I try to hold a note for long, I run out of air super fast, are there any good tips on this or will I just keep trying and hope for it to get better?

And, since that tony bullard file posted on the first poage or something doesn't work, I found a working link and I thought I could post it incase someone wants to check it out or something. http://www.tonybullard.com/media/Tony_Bullard_-_Metal_Vocal_Tutorial.mp3

That's his name! Yeah, this tutorial is better than any other if you want to learn how to do death metal vocals.

Ok, I don't think this one has been asked yet. So I can growl and have it never hurt. It's semi-low but not nearly as low as I would like. I'm able to go lower but it only ever ends up hurting my throat pretty bad, so, should I stick with the method that isn't killing my vocal cords and continue to practice until something eventually cracks and I'm able to find the tone I want? or should I just suck it up and try the other way until I'm used too it?

I've learnt something new for myself lately. I don't know if it was said or if I just didn't catch on, But, for me when I loosen my whole mouth (including cheeks) and use as little muscle with my jaw and tongue as possible, I can do way deeper and get a more clean sound. Only problem is holding a long growl, which will come with time.

Ive got a question about the whole growling thing and you guys seem to know about this quite well so I hope you can help me out. I can produce the growls and screams and such to what I think is pretty good, the only probly is it seems like my throat doesn't want to keep it going. After alittle bit (always randomly, sometimes after a couple minutes, sometimes ten minutes) I can't make the growls or screams at all...its just me pushing out nothing but hot air, almost as if my throat is dried up or something. If I go take a little break and get something to drink and wait a couple minutes or so I can usually jump right back into it but then the process just rinses and repeats. This is a problem because I would like to join a band but I can't just take a three minute break in the middle of a song, let alone make it through a whole set like that...so Ive got a couple questions. Could the growls and screams just be coming from my saliva alone and it all dries up so no more growls (if so....how do I stop that and make growls like a real man), am i just growling-handicapped, or do I just need lots more practice? Any help is appreciated. :)

I'm a noob, but I'd say just keep practicing. Takes forever it seems, but it all falls in to place eventually. Patience is key to everything.

I'm a noob, but I'd say just keep practicing. Takes forever it seems, but it all falls in to place eventually. Patience is key to everything.

haha, yeah I know what you mean, just sucks because I have it and Im like....damn its sounding good...ahh...shit....nothing but air now :( it gets to be quite frustrating at times haha. guess its back to work :)