Another "How to properly growl..." thread.

Stupid question maybe, but it's been on my mind.

When I belch and make words, I can change frequencies and what not and sound like satan lol. How do I get that with growling? just comes with time? or is their something I can do to get the gurgle and deepness that I'm looking for. I don't want full gutterals, because those sound like shit. I just want that deep gurgle/growl that people like Glent Benton, Tommy from Aeon and Mike Akerfeldt can produce when they want.

I don't want cheap tricks, like trap water in the back of your throat. Because that's not the proper way lol. I want all natural

"sound like satan"

That made me laugh a lot haha.

Well, just practice and try to find out what you wanna sound like, then you will get used to it and your brain will automatically keep it in. There is no fixed technic.

Oh my, So much of the stuff in here is wrong. As to the guys asking about if it is normal for your voice to go on hiatus after you get sick or get a sore throat ya that is pretty normal, it should come back within a couple days to a week. I wouldn't suggest trying to imitate other vocalists voices either . . . i mean to a certain extent yes, but you should develop your own sound and it would probably also really help if you were to start off with singing to build up a range and learn how to breathe properly and project then go from there after a while you can build up a repertoire of sounds. dvds and books WILL NOT teach you how to do growls or screams only more so how to do them properly. However I highly recommend the zen of screaming. If you aren't into paying the thirty dollars or whatever it is just fucking download that shit its everywhere and the warm ups that come along with it are also downloadable and are great when warming up before a show. seriously that dvd will help tonnes if you are looking to be able to do it for more than a week. as for learning how to actually do it all you can really do is go at it until you get it. No one can really teach you how, everyone does it differently but it should NEVER hurt.

...but it should NEVER hurt.

That's the stupidest thing you could've said. When you're not used to using your vocal cords in a certain way it will ALWAYS hurt in the beginning. It's like any part of the body; when you exert it it will hurt. Even opera and clean singers have sore throats when either just starting or after exerting themselves. If it constantly hurts after a while of doing it THAT's when you know your technique's off and that you should adjust. I've always went with what feels right and it's worked fine for me. And the Zen of Screaming is only for screamo/lamb of god style bands; the best death metal vocal tutorial I've heard was the Tony (can't remember his last name) one posted in this forum about a year ago.

As for imitating, it's probably one of the best ways to develop style and range. In almost EVERY instrument people start by imitating the artist they like before finding their own style. I started by trying out Corey Taylor (yeah yeah, I know), then Chuck Billy/ Dave Vincent/ Dani Filth (yeah yeah, I know), then Mike A. Now I incorporate a little from all of these styles that I like into a sound that suits me and my music.

geez....a little long, sorry guys

haha that was actually a great post, with all the stuff other people have posted it fits in well as that seems like a good place to get started, and i actually agree with you especially on one point too, ive heard different singers saying on tour they need special drinks cause their throats are sore a lot, cause theyre singing every day, which makes sense that if your growling it should one day eventually hurt hahaha, especially if you practice every day(which makes sense if you love it youd be excited when you start out) imo at least

I never started by imitation. I'd sing along but never tried to sound the same as whichever growler it was, and it's worked out well for me. I can still manage to sound similar to most growlers without that experience, whereas my own personal style for my own music is hard to compare to other vocalists styles. I also have had a sore throat maybe 6 or 7 times ever and I tend to do a lot of growling (not including when I'd experiment and do something stupid. haha)... So that doesn't necessarily apply to everyone speaking from personal experience.

What's so damn hard about growling? I sat and listened to Opeth.. learned how to growl, also learned my friend to growl (who now growls in my band Siamese) in a week.

I just tried to imitate, tried out some different ways and there it was.

Did the same with Meshuggah the other day.. because I'd like to know how he sings as he does. ANd I think I got it quite right :p

Damn, are people really that scared that they're gonna hurt their throats? Try things out, and in the end you should really have it figured out.. or you're just not made for growling.
Or watch The zen of screaming ;P

Regards,
Davling.

zen of screaming is for wimps...if you need instruction on how to growl or scream then you lose the reason to. You aren't in no pop band...fuck that! This is for melodic retro fucks who want to impress their buddies!

I'll end here.

because ive sat down and listened to them? and its terrible, i used to be a fan of killswitch like 4 years ago but then they released the new album, which was absolute crap and was like a worse version of the one preceding it, and by then i had already stopped listening to it for the most part anyway, haha so in conclusion, ive tried listening to them, and i hate the music, and eventually started to not be able to stand the people who obsessed over it