Another "How to properly growl..." thread.

I see nothing wrong with mic cupping, it's kind of cheating. The only reason I wouldn't do it is because I play bass so it would be impossible.
It does give it some what of an eerie/reverb sound but it's stupid if you do it just to make your vox lower.

hand.jpg

I tried to draw how I hold the mic, I just try covering up a portion of the side not facing me to block out excess noise, because as I said Im usually like 6 feet away from the guitar amp. My growls are loud, much louder than speaking so Im fine on that point. I dont think this is considered cupping?

Well, you might now wanna take advice from me cause im still learning, myself. But what i started out with was barking like a dog (the REAL kind of bark, not just a woof). Hope this helped a little! =P

Ever since I saw Six Feet Under I hold JUST the shaft of the mic. It looks old school and it also proves that anything you hear is from me, not from the position of my hand.

lifedepraved, your image doesnt show up for me i just get the angelfire thing. lol i thought of that when i colored the hand yellow, i knew somebody would probably notice that. i googled mic cupping though, I'm now assuming this is forming a bowl shape with your hands all around the mic and singing into that. Thats not what I do.

I think theres nothing wrong with microphone cupping, i do it lots of times cause it makes a different voice, for example i sing in a death metal band and in a metalcore band, and in the dm i growl without cupping cause it sounds great for death metal, but in the metalcore band i cup the mic and it sounds cool too.

At the last couple band practices I've been holding by just the shaft of the mic like flal was talking about, I like the sound. It sounds very natural. We have a show on Friday, so we will probably have practice Thursday again so that we are ready. We will be opening up so we only get 15 minutes which= 4 songs. Would have liked more time but it was a squeeze for us to get in at all.

metalcore was a lot coolre when i was in high school haha, now its just lame and seems very child like, like when i tihnk of metalcore i think of the lame kids i went to high school with that thought metalcore was about as heavy as it gets

At the last couple band practices I've been holding by just the shaft of the mic like flal was talking about, I like the sound. It sounds very natural. We have a show on Friday, so we will probably have practice Thursday again so that we are ready. We will be opening up so we only get 15 minutes which= 4 songs. Would have liked more time but it was a squeeze for us to get in at all.

yeah, 15 minutes is bogus. But we've all been there