Another "How to properly growl..." thread.

Hi all:)

I've been practicing growling for a grand total of two days now. Yesterday only air and weird noises came out (sounded like I had an astma attack or somethingo_O). Today however I found a technique that actually produces some sound and I was wondering if this sounds like it could become something, with a lot of practice.

Personally I think it sound too "breathy", too much breath too little growl, but then again it's only been two days.

Also when I have a short pause, between one line and the next, the first thing that comes out is pure breath, then about half a second later the sound comes. Quite annoying, any tips?:p

Lastly I would like to thank all that contributed to this thread, it helped a lot so far. It helped me find a way to not hurt my throat too much, great tips.

I decided to upload a piece of 'eaten' as it seems to be somewhat common here. It's recorded with a piece of shit mic, to match my voice:heh:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/11/21/1598459/eaten.mp3

Well...Im not most girls
Angela Gossow is fucking amazing of course I like her...

Well now that I understand not to take your Metal taste for grantid, goodjob.

Did you like what they did to her vocals on the new album? because I sure didn't. Her voice is like a whole step higher pitch than previous albums and it's more-so full out screaming rather than Growling. She used to be one of the best :erk:

Maybe I/We can get a sample of your vocals sometime? I'm interested quite a bit when it comes to female metal vocalists. Women have range that alot of males can't dream of tapping into. (Not just higher bs either)

So... thought I'd post my growls on here, I'm pretty young, so they aren't quite up to a good standard yet (only started trying a couple of weeks ago, and I don't practice much, it's just a hobby). The reason they are so quiet is that I don't actually have a microphone, so they've been recorded on a cheap mp3 player, and that is terrible quality if I put it anywhere near my mouth, so I'm standing a yard away as I growl and they're is still some distortion... with the air... X-(

http://www.mediafire.com/?b090umuxy12

(sorry you have to download it, 'tis only a minute long though)

If they are terrible, don't mind telling me, just try and be constructive about it, no 'zomg is that a joke' post please, I understand they're not that good. But I just want to share them with someone, my family and friends are very anti-metal, so that's a big no-no ;D

It's way too breathy. Join the club (hear mine and you know what I'm talking about) haha. I've found warm water to be a big help when that happens (as suggested here). I thought that was just for protection, but it actually makes the whole thing sound better. Well for me anyway.

You think that's how my whispers sound like? ...yeah, I know they're quiet, very quiet, but I am stood a bit away and the recording is very poor (yet I realize parts of it do really sound like whispering, really badly, my higher pitch bits mostly). By whispering you mean I'm using my breath way too much right? Because I can't stop that without using my throat a lot, and I know that isn't the right technique, so... any advice? Or just another sarcastic comment?

Right, trying to use my 'tummy' is difficult for me, at the moment it's just a case of trying to make a sound without using my throat (which is obvious with how poor my growls are at the moment), ah well, I'm taking it slowly, besides, I'm only doing it for enjoyment at the moment, I'm not exactly planning to join a band ;)

I quite like the way you phrased just try and scream it out, maybe I should just try shouting then trying to develop that into a growl and going from there? Seems like that might be a better idea...

Use your throat but relax it completely in mid-growl to try and tap into the diaphram technique. Probably the easiest way to do it man.

Well, here is another small file of growling from me, still very quiet (but I can now assure you that is completely because of what I am recording with, this is actually about the as loud as I would be when giving a speech for example, it's just my mp3 player cannot record louder than this)

http://www.mediafire.com/?ch2n5aq9mtt

Yes, I know it's still not very good, but is there any improvement, any at all? A simple yes or no will suffice :D Also, despite the fact that I don't do this much, should I stop even trying to growl while I'm 14? It won't affect how my vocal chords develop will it?