Another "How to properly growl..." thread.

I'm just gonna asume your the giant dude with the massive hair! In which case you rock! And to consider you being so young (at least compaired to me) makes me feel a bit "i underläge". Rock on!

Annnnnnnd, does anybody know a good+cheap mic to buy? this one distorts as soon as I growl too loud. Can't get the full range out of my voice :

The cheapest and best choice for the money is the behringer xm8500. It's just a bit below shure sm58 and costs like $20.

You would have to pay over that yes in most cases. I'm not sure how the xm8500 costs so little, but most people agree it's a good mic

That I can't quite answer, but oddly my good friend who is of great guitar abilities uses quieter volume and sometimes even a practice amp to mic the guitars. The practice amp has good clarity as well as distortion effect, due to it not pushing sound limits like a loud amp, and it makes it easier to mix the recording. He used to use pretty cheap mics to do it through and it comes through very full with some gain adjustments. *shrugs shoulders*. I guess Huge volumes into a regular mic apparently makes it sound dirty for guitar

Hey guys, I just started growling a few days ago, and I'm feeling really light-headed after just a few minutes of doing this, are there ways to prevent this? am I forcing out too much air?

www.myspace.com/severedvictim
We got a song with me on vocals uploaded, its called Pain. Listen to it. I messed up a bit, especially on the double tracking and I stood a bit too far from the mic sometimes so the vox arent always real loud, but I think its a good song. I'd really appreciate some feedback.

I like the first scream. Starts really bad but then gets good. I'm by no emans an expert but I think it's quite promising. Rehearse more'n more and it'll be just fine.

Thanks, I know I messed up the beginning growl-to-scream thing, I wanted to redo all the vocals for the song to try and get the double tracking better, but my guitarist didnt bring the recorder.

Hey I listened to the song you have guys have up. It sounds okay but I honestly liked the live growls on that video for forgotten better than the recorded ones, which is pretty odd actually. The black metal vocals were pretty killer though. Cool to see things are moving along . The main problem is that it sounds messy, but that's how it usually starts out.

PS - Halo is over-rated Fleshmountain:p! I had too say it after I saw your myspace. haha

Thanks a lot delta storm. I know I need to work on doing fast growls better. I think the best growl in the whole song was right near the end when I say pain. I'm hoping once were more fluently versed in how to use the recorder we will redo it. But this weekend we are planning on recording our song Howls of Chaos, its our fastest song, closest thing to black metal we have done, full of my black metal screams.:headbang: I cant wait.
Psssh, Halo is not possible to overrate lol. I love that game sooo much.

If you feel down the middle of your neck, like just below your adams apple, cthere's a little hole-feeling like thing. When you're singing death style with your throat it will go hard. Sio just try to go down there and make a deep vocal. I use my throat for my band, and it got the spot of lead vocals, so.... You can't really "sing" a death vocal, you know what I mean

I was recently trying to figure out Mikael Akerfeldt's style and in that process I ended up basically covering the entire song Master's Apprentices..... Essentially I still can't nail it. I've re-recorded a couple times now. I don't want to make his style mine obviously, I have a pretty different style from him overall. But I'm still obsessed with being able to understand how it's done. Does anyone here have any too the point basic tips on it? I touch on it but there is definitely something "extra" to what he does. I've found that you need to really open your throat to get the back sound, but there is something almost characteristic to it. It's probably exclusive to his voice but I still wonder

When I first started I always sang along with Opeth, I tried really hard to let his style influence how I would do my own. I made a video of some of Wreath, I think you saw it, I also can touch on it but his style is so unique. His screams are really hard to do though. I think trying to pronounce the words really good helps some. I havent sang any Opeth in a while so I dont remember any other specific tecnique I used to try to be like Mike lol. I think maybe keeping your mouth in a more oval shape might help. Maybe you could just watch a bunch of Opeth videos and try watching his mouth for some clues.

I've been able to make a scream like his once or twice but then it vanishes from me. I think you just have to do it until it becomes fluent with your throat. Just try and try until you get something that sounds like it and keep replicating.

It's all muscle memory manggg