Another "How to properly growl..." thread.

Bördi;8202153 said:
Bloody awesome! This might be a stupid question, but how did you "blend out" the original vocals?

I got another general question to all the growlers/screamers out there: Where do you practice? :>

I do it mostly in the living room of my little appartment but always with the "strange feeling" of listening (possibly puzzled) neighbours.... That feeling mutates to some kind of "blockade" in my head and I lack the courage to sing freely and without inhibitions. An option is to get drunk but that will fuck up timing and lyrics :p
Another place to practice is in my car but the seated position is not optimal.

Fuck, don't worry about people hearing you. I do it at work, given I work graveyard shifts, but we get a good amount of people in none the less.

Come to think of it...the number of overnight customers has been getting more and more scarce since I started there...

Had enough time to record vocals to 1 part of a new song me and greiver are making, check it out

http://www.mediafire.com/?ztmd5yjumny

Your voice is awesome as always, the music is very cool, especially when it develops after you finish singing, but the obvious double voice effect I don't like at all, I'd just leave it for the 1st growl.

:kickass:

The voice composition is great, catchy.

Anyone think they can take on covering Brave? Lord Obsidian did a fanatastic guitar cover and I completed the drums yesterday. We need bass and vocals. Can anyone hit the highs and lows on that song? ;)

Anyone think they can take on covering Brave? Lord Obsidian did a fanatastic guitar cover and I completed the drums yesterday. We need bass and vocals. Can anyone hit the highs and lows on that song? ;)

I can hit both,but I can't hold a decent "I AM NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT" for 20 seconds =(

EDIT: Scavneck could fit the part,I think

I tryed the scream. Something like 16,but the last 4 secs were pretty shitty

TELL MEH HAOW TO GRUWL NAO.

... No seriously, I've read the whole thread twice and still have no clue on how to get that low distorted sound without damage.
My breathing is fine, I do have been singing clean for a longer period. But I still need to find out how to distort w/o pain or irritation.
The only non hurting techniques which are actually working are the fry and trapping saliva between my throat and tongue.
But I don't think Mike does a very low fry, does he? Besides, fry is gay, lol.
And that gurgling sound you get with trapping saliva between throat/tongue is even more lame because it doesn't even vibrate anything.(Silent)
Then there's this 'power' exhale I've been trying but that sounds more like a Lamb of God then a Bloodbath. + It irritates after awhile.

I think we should have a list of how it sounds in the beginning, and an explanation of how you produce that sound.
If many people help out here, and explain it in different ways, there is a larger chance that noobs like me will understand.

I do realise that, but it's obvious that they use different techniques, or not?
And even if they don't, how do I discover how my growl sounds?

it's very probable that everyone uses different techniques as everyone really needs to find what works for themselves :)
well, that's really up to you to find out where your "comfortable zone" is when growling, just fuck around basically - try first doing some high growls and then some low, what feels best? if the low ones feel better than the high ones, then try working more in that range etc.