Another "How to properly growl..." thread.

I've heard that ages ago yes... I'm hearing this 'angry sigh' from loads of people. Thing is, when I try it, it doesn't sound nowhere near that. His angry sigh already sounds like a growl, lol. If I hold that sigh for 2 seconds my throat starts burning <_<

You mean hard as " run out of breathe" or hard as " there's no way to do long sentences without getting hurt" ?

as in "run out of breath", at least, that's how it was for me; i could do short "oooh"s and then i had to take another breath, but then i could do longer and longer growls.

Well I meant it as in throat irritation. Sometimes even severe itches <_<
I can hold it for like 5-7 seconds if I want to.
But I don't want it cause it farks up meh throat.
So let's assume "angry sigh" or " dog bark" hurts, whats the next step?

I have never understood wtf a dog bark is supposed to mean. I can do a pretty good range of sounds and techniques and nothing I have ever come up with has ever reminded me even slightly of the word bark or dog. Scavneck used to describe it that way as well. Does one have to get on all fours and yell at strangers to get this effect? What exactly is it supposed to even sound like? lol

I have no tips that have not been said here, I just read that and had to inquire. Okay I'm done

The kid in this vid (lol rhyme) is the first to actually say something about what I'm doing now.
I think this is a common problem with people trying to growl/scream...
So he starts explaining it at 1:15 and you can hear my growl at 1:25. (Well not mine, but it sounds exactly like that :p)
He doesn't really make me understand what I'm doing wrong though, does anyone have an idea?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe a stupid question...
But does anybody have any idea about the techniques behind Peter Tägtgren's vocals? I don't know, I can't help but feel that he's just doing something different to the stuff you always hear/read about how-to-do-death-growls. His voice just sounds too different (in a fucking awesome way).

i think he does it the same way as us mere mortals ;)

you know everyone doesn't have the same speaking voice, it's the same with growls (as mentioned above).

i think he does it the same way as us mere mortals ;)

you know everyone doesn't have the same speaking voice, it's the same with growls (as mentioned above).

I hear people saying that alot. But then again, when you listen to people you can also distinguish different techniques. Like I'd say the peter tagtgren high screams could be comparable with the dani filth ones (although I'll have to check that first =p) Or compare Shagrath with Mikael akerfeldt. But nonetheless, you can clearly hear covers on youtube who nail their sound. This doesn't mean that they have the same voice timbre, but they use the same technique. Probably all modifications of basic false chord scream/growls.

I hear people saying that alot. But then again, when you listen to people you can also distinguish different techniques. Like I'd say the peter tagtgren high screams could be comparable with the dani filth ones (although I'll have to check that first =p) Or compare Shagrath with Mikael akerfeldt. But nonetheless, you can clearly hear covers on youtube who nail their sound. This doesn't mean that they have the same voice timbre, but they use the same technique. Probably all modifications of basic false chord scream/growls.

seems like u know more than me about this kinda stuff ;)

well i kan do som death growls and a little black metal squeak :rofl:,
and yeah its not the same way but very very similar i think.

seems like u know more than me about this kinda stuff ;)

well i kan do som death growls and a little black metal squeak :rofl:,
and yeah its not the same way but very very similar i think.

I know all the possible theory, I just need to practice alot in order to find a way to apply it. =(

as everyone said before: mess around :)

i used saliva at first but realised it were wrong so i tryed to tightend my throat and then after a while i got a kinda nice sound, so i started to practice to push air instead of straining my throat.
it worked so far ;)

as everyone said before: mess around :)

i used saliva at first but realised it were wrong so i tryed to tightend my throat and then after a while i got a kinda nice sound, so i started to practice to push air instead of straining my throat.
it worked so far ;)

Yeah I was confused about the saliva thingy too in the beginning. I'm actually now trying to find out how I make a proper distorted sound w/o hurting myself.
Every way I found out to distort it either hurts or sounds like a depressed baby bear.