Anyone think Derelict Herds should've been on the album?

Jan 27, 2006
I think it would have been a nice burst of energy between Burden and Porcelain Heart, and as much I love the album, I would have liked one more growling track. What do you guys think?

It totally belongs on there!

I even think it's better than Coil, Porcelain Heart and Hex Omega to be honest.

Isn't variation a key theme in Opeth's style or did mean something?

Yeah variation is definitely important in their albums, but I agree with Nailed Reaper in that it could feel a bit out of place if included in the full album. I'm not entirely certain what it is, but it has a different feel than the rest of the material.

I don't think it's anywhere near as good as the album material anyway though. It's a tad boring. In fact, I don't think any of the bonus tracks are anything great.

It's not more different to the rest of the album than Burden is to Heir Apparent, so I don't see a problem there.

It's not more different to the rest of the album than Burden is to Heir Apparent, so I don't see a problem there.

i can see similarities between burden and heir apparent. also they're both written entirely by mike, derelict herds has some parts written by per.

I think Derelict Herds can be looked at as a remnant of Ghost Reveries, in a way. It's quite different from the rest of watershed: it has no really abrupt transitions, and has lengthy groove-oriented sections, which reminds me of Ghost Reveries (Baying of the hounds, harlequin forest... beneath the mire). I think it's a pretty good song, but I like Watershed without it.

I think it would have been a nice burst of energy between Burden and Porcelain Heart, and as much I love the album, I would have liked one more growling track. What do you guys think?

That would actually be pretty interesting in between those two songs. Hmmmmm.......it's kinda funny though. Whenever a song off of WS gets to a growling section, I enjoy it so incredibly much, because of the fact that WS has less growls than previous albums. It almost seems like a present. You wait and you wait for it, and the waiting and anticipation seems to add to the enjoyment of actually receiving it. Instead of having many songs with incredible growls, (Obviously no complaint, as I said they are incredible) you have a few songs with absolutely phenomenal growls.
Holy shit. I need a fucking life.

Yes. But I can see how they thought it didn't fit. It's the same thing when Symphony X left Frontiers off The Odyssey... it just doesn't fit the album.

I like Derelict Herds, though. However, some parts drag on for a bit too long.

horrible song imo. they should have put den ständiga resan on the album instead but that would have ruined the concept i guess

this song has one of my favorite opeth moments btw: riff @ 2:13 is fucking jizzworthy