Bands Like Katatonia

Nice list ParadiseLostforever, I think I spotted around 30 bands I really like... cool.

RIPDime05: Yeah, Shamrain are a really cool band from Finland. Their vocalist, Mika, is also in Entwine. So, if you haven't already heard Entwine, check them out.
Entwine sounds sweet as well...
dunno what i'd do w/out great music, today alone i got blackfield I & II,shamrain,riverside(voices in my head Ep), novembers doom(welcome to the fade)...id say it was good day

Yeah, Fragile Hollow and Rain Paint are really cool. Pesonally, I don't really think HIM and Katatonia are that similar, but yeah, I agree; I really like them too. I also like Entwine alot. I've always felt that Entwine was kinda like the more metal version of HIM.

Yeah, Fragile Hollow and Rain Paint are really cool. Pesonally, I don't really think HIM and Katatonia are that similar, but yeah, I agree; I really like them too. I also like Entwine alot. I've always felt that Entwine was kinda like the more metal version of HIM.

entwine kills...i <3 time of despair so much..

Funeral was a good recommendation but two of their members (including vocalist and primary songwriter) are now dead, so it is unlikely they will be making more music, at least that sounds like their previous stuff.

The only thing I have heard recently that made me think "wow that sounds like Katatonia" is the new P.O.D single "going in blind" however I am NOT making a recommendation for P.O.D. If their whole album sounds like this, then great. I am not going to find out.

Bands with similar qualities to Katatonia, on both ends of the spectrum (depressing to abstract):
in no particular order:
Agalloch, Evoken, Dayllight Dies, Cult of Luna, Godgory (now gone), ISIS, Jesu, Machine Head, Mastodon, October Tide, Pantera, Opeth, Soilwork, Swallow the Sun

Lacrimas and Novembre are also good, but their vocal talent is seriously lacking in my opinion and may be a disappointment if you are a fan of Jonas.

Yep. Rain Paint and FragileHollow(?) are really cool.:) However did you come across them?
I don't know, there's something about HIM that kinda resembles Katatonia to me.
It's just me I guess.:rolleyes:
And I think I've heard a few Entwine tracks and I really liked them a bit.

The Chant is also a band that sounds a bit like Katatonia....To me. :lol:

Funeral was a good recommendation but two of their members (including vocalist and primary songwriter) are now dead, so it is unlikely they will be making more music, at least that sounds like their previous stuff.

The only thing I have heard recently that made me think "wow that sounds like Katatonia" is the new P.O.D single "going in blind" however I am NOT making a recommendation for P.O.D. If their whole album sounds like this, then great. I am not going to find out.

Bands with similar qualities to Katatonia, on both ends of the spectrum (depressing to abstract):
in no particular order:
Agalloch, Evoken, Dayllight Dies, Cult of Luna, Godgory (now gone), ISIS, Jesu, Machine Head, Mastodon, October Tide, Pantera, Opeth, Soilwork, Swallow the Sun

Lacrimas and Novembre are also good, but their vocal talent is seriously lacking in my opinion and may be a disappointment if you are a fan of Jonas.

Mastodon?? Not even close...tried to get into them numerous times and it always gets thrown into the recycle bin

Yep. Rain Paint and FragileHollow(?) are really cool.:) However did you come across them?
I don't know, there's something about HIM that kinda resembles Katatonia to me.
It's just me I guess.:rolleyes:
And I think I've heard a few Entwine tracks and I really liked them a bit.

The Chant is also a band that sounds a bit like Katatonia....To me. :lol:

I discovered Rain Paint and Fragile Hollow through Rapture (since Aleksi Ahokas is in all three bands). I can understand what you're saying about HIM and Katatonia. I agree that they both have a melancholic sound, but HIM is definately more upbeat. If you like HIM, you should definately check out some more Entwine. I'd personally start with Time Of Despair. And I've never heard of The Chant, so I should probably check them out now.

I discovered Rain Paint and Fragile Hollow through Rapture (since Aleksi Ahokas is in all three bands). I can understand what you're saying about HIM and Katatonia. I agree that they both have a melancholic sound, but HIM is definately more upbeat. If you like HIM, you should definately check out some more Entwine. I'd personally start with Time Of Despair. And I've never heard of The Chant, so I should probably check them out now.

Yeah, that's the way I also found out about these bands. :lol:
You're right about HIM though.:)

And here is a link to a Finnish webpage that has plenty of The Chant songs. I recommend them all from top to bottom: http://www.mikseri.net/artists/?id=41163