Bands Like Katatonia

Vincent mentioned this band a few times and recently I decided to check it out, so I went to their MySpace and found it's quite enjoyable indeed. I'm talking about EARLY DAY MINERS.

It's very subtle, soothing music, with nice groaning guitars. There are vocals, but there's very long instrumental parts and even whole songs too, so relatively little vocals. Very nice, dreamy, relaxing stuff. So far I listened to their last album "Offshore" only, which I'm definitely gonna go after.

www.myspace.com/earlydayminersband
www.earlydayminers.com

Vincent mentioned this band a few times and recently I decided to check it out, so I went to their MySpace and found it's quite enjoyable indeed. I'm talking about EARLY DAY MINERS.

It's very subtle, soothing music, with nice groaning guitars. There are vocals, but there's very long instrumental parts and even whole songs too, so relatively little vocals. Very nice, dreamy, relaxing stuff. So far I listened to their last album "Offshore" only, which I'm definitely gonna go after.

www.myspace.com/earlydayminersband
www.earlydayminers.com

Nice to read you like them =)
They are very good in my taste

Never mention Pantera and Katatonia in the same post again...or even attempt to compare them. Katatonia is a truly special band...Pantera are a bunch of drunk red necks that ripped off an awesome Thrash band.

Never mention Pantera and Katatonia in the same post again...or even attempt to compare them. Katatonia is a truly special band...Pantera are a bunch of drunk red necks that ripped off an awesome Thrash band.

What is a "redneck" btw?I hear it so often but I don't know what it means.Some kind of racist or sth like that?

rednecks.jpg

db-p-full-rednecks.jpg

rednecks.jpg

REDNECK2.JPG

Whoa dude hold up w/ the Pantera killings.
They sound nothing like Katatonia....as they shouldn't. They might be rednecks(great pics btw), but probably the BEST metal band of all time. Lemme ask you first of all who they ripped off??
Pantera was VERY innovative in my book and paved the way for all the good metal in the mid 90's early 00's

someone needs to try ShamRain seriously I just got "empty world excursion"and it killz...soaring guitars , great vocals,sweet melodies...OMG my fave its -fail- by now

Shamrain rules. I like Empty World Excursion more than the newer one. Favorite songs would have to be Drifter, Sound Asleep, Withdraw, Fail, and Pieces (in that order). Even the intro (Statues) is amazing.

Whoa dude hold up w/ the Pantera killings.
They sound nothing like Katatonia....as they shouldn't. They might be rednecks(great pics btw), but probably the BEST metal band of all time. Lemme ask you first of all who they ripped off??
Pantera was VERY innovative in my book and paved the way for all the good metal in the mid 90's early 00's

Exhorder.

After they did all their glam albums in the 80's Phil brought a demo of Exhorder over to the guys and they digged the sound. So they stripped it down and put their own ack to it and called it cowboyz from hell...from then on they kept doing it. Exhorder put out 2 very well done Thrash albums, but sadly gotten no where. Still a very respected band though.

I know in many peoples eyes and in their ears they love Pantera and Dimebag to death (some more than others, and some just because it's trendy) but I don't at all. I never thought they were innovative or nothing. I found Dimebags riffs to be boring and plain. He used the whammy way too much and kills the pinch harmonic. They are for some people...not for I. They are nothing special in my book and I will not praise them just because the guitarist died. It sucks as in all deaths, but it won't get me to do something I don't want to.

Exhorder.

After they did all their glam albums in the 80's Phil brought a demo of Exhorder over to the guys and they digged the sound. So they stripped it down and put their own ack to it and called it cowboyz from hell...from then on they kept doing it. Exhorder put out 2 very well done Thrash albums, but sadly gotten no where. Still a very respected band though.

I know in many peoples eyes and in their ears they love Pantera and Dimebag to death (some more than others, and some just because it's trendy) but I don't at all. I never thought they were innovative or nothing. I found Dimebags riffs to be boring and plain. He used the whammy way too much and kills the pinch harmonic. They are for some people...not for I. They are nothing special in my book and I will not praise them just because the guitarist died. It sucks as in all deaths, but it won't get me to do something I don't want to.

To each their own bro...to each their own
but Pantera OWNS katatonia overall, dont get me wrong I love Katatonia but as far as metal goes they are not metal. Just a great depressive doom band.
Im not going to try to change your mind or anything about dime...i was just stating my opinion

How can you compare Pantera to Katatonia and say that Pantera OWNZ Katatonia overall??If you say Pantera owns Lamb of God I can understand the statement...But this one,it has no point at all...(btw Lamb of God>Pantera:))

Phil Anselmo's vocals are tired and boring. I don't care how good of a musician Dimebag was, and Vinnie is, Pantera became boring after Trendkill. It always seemed like they played the same songs over and over again.

How can you compare Pantera to Katatonia and say that Pantera OWNZ Katatonia overall??If you say Pantera owns Lamb of God I can understand the statement...But this one,it has no point at all...(btw Lamb of God>Pantera:))

i dont like you anymore tuna :cry: