Bands you use to hate, but now like!

ArneZ

No rules in metal
Nov 19, 2006
Agalloch
Coheed and Cambria
Darkthrone

Three bands I use to hate, but slowly learned that they didnt suck at all...

Metallica
Luciferion
Infester

Also, I'm rediscovering the excellence of many past favorites( metal albums by gateway bands and such)and acquiring new ones(but mainly in non-metal).

It's usually the other way around... Though I can try.

Iron Maiden, though that was before I realized the awesomeness of metal.
Metallica... Umm, still not sure if I like them entirely. Thrash is not my thing. And I still hate the vocals.
System of a Down, thought it was crap like the rest of all nu.
Cannibal Corpse
Opeth, though I didn't really hate them as much as I just never gave them a chance

It would probably be easier for me to list the bands that I liked on my very first listen. I atleast dislike almost everything the first time I hear it. Actually if I totally like something the first time then it probably won't become one of my all-time favorites -- no room for growth, heh.

I wouldn't go as far as saying I hated them but I was totally indiferent to Graveland and Varathron before. Now I like both bands a lot.

Even if I don't like a band or album right away, I can usually tell if it has the potential to grow on me. But having said that, the following have grown on me more than I expected:

Blut Aus Nord: The Work Which Transforms God
Insomnium (not just another Gothenburg sound-alike)
Necrophagist: The Onset of Putrefaction - I've had this for around a year and I'm still enjoying it more and more with each listen

The Sword

I at one point in my life hated most black metal. It took a lot of patient listening and maturity to finally see the light (get it? :cool:)

Steely Dan
(Dad played them a lot when I was young, and I didn't really care for them. Love em now.

Horde
(My first intro to the black metal style, which I thought was horrible. I just wasn't processing this new ugliness in a way to see the beauty. It grew on me big time. Black metal is still not my favorite style, but I really like some)

Most things I start out disliking, I continue to dislike.

Blut Aus Nord: The Work Which Transforms God

I still haven't reached the point where I like that album. Perhaps it needs more time.

Still haven't been able to appreciate In The Woods - Omnio either. But I have faith in both albums.

Sigh - "Imaginary Sonicscape" (still growing on me)

Oddly enough for their kind of music, that album needed no time to grow on me. It was love at first sound. Brilliant album, Slaughtergarden Suite is awesome.

Mainly Metallica and the Moody Blues. I used to think both of them were pretty crappy, and now I love them. More recently, Electric Wizard sounded pretty bad when I first heard them, and I ended up really getting into them (although I still think their songwriting is thoroughly mediocre).

I know there are a lot of styles of music which I used to dislike years ago, and now enjoy - things like jazz-rock, blues-rock, oldschool punk, and various mainstream rock bands from the '60s and '70s. I couldn't really name a lot of specific bands I'd heard back then that I hated, but most any band of those styles would have evoked nausea in me had I listened to them years ago.

Death.
Basically, they introduced me to death metal and i HATED it at the start.
Slowly grew on me and now i love them along with 5748574 more death metal bands.