best reason to dislike a metal band

What would be your biggest reason for disliking a metal band?

• lack of skill / crappy playing

Votes: 21 32.3%
  • sounding like a copy of another band

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • moving away from their original style in order to gain popularity (selling out)

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • having really goofy experimental parts in what are otherwise good songs

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • can't decide

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • other reason not covered by this list

Votes: 19 29.2%

• Total voters

zabu of nΩd

Free Insultation
Feb 9, 2007
Pick the one which is most likely to steer you away from a band. Note: assume that the band in question plays a style that you would normally like. Obviously there's no point in picking the "sellout" option with a band like Linkin Park in mind - that's just the nature of Linkin Park.

I can relate to Selling Out or ripping off the styles of other bands. But in any case, I feel Metal is such a perfect genre that even the lamest band may have something to offer.

Which is why Metal > all other genres.

I hate bands with lame gore lyrics, promoting pedophilia and shit, they should go die by cannibalization, then they would really have something to sing about...haha

I choose lack of skill!

becoming more commercial/accessible isn't bad per se. unless when you're really into a band and followed them over a long time and that band becomes more commercial, then you'll be disappointed somehow...

I still haven't voted on my own poll... :rolleyes: Main thing is it's so damn subjective; a lot of my reasoning would depend on how severe each of the faults is.

Coolname brings up a good point with crappy vocals - that can often be a decisive factor in people's perception of a band. Take Cradle of Filth for instance: they have great musical talent and really intelligent lyrics, but their vocalist is simply ridiculous. Imagine how much better they'd sound with someone else singing! Venom's another good case of this... though their music generally kicks enough ass that this can be forgiven.

What other big factors are there? There's got to be something else I missed.

top hats and pirate costumes.

Rock N' Rolf disowns you!

Running Wild will now hunt you down in a tutonic oceanic fury.

Those of you who picked lack of skill wouldnt therefore appreciate the simplistic brilliance of Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales ?