best reason to dislike a metal band

What would be your biggest reason for disliking a metal band?

• lack of skill / crappy playing

Votes: 21 32.3%
  • sounding like a copy of another band

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • moving away from their original style in order to gain popularity (selling out)

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • having really goofy experimental parts in what are otherwise good songs

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • can't decide

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • other reason not covered by this list

Votes: 19 29.2%

• Total voters
ya, they are one of my favorite bands

but a few bands here and there is certainly not enough to satisfy one who loves acoustic guitar

Yeah, true enough. Opeth has a great 'rustic'/'autumnal' quality to them which I haven't really heard anywhere else. Maybe I'll have to probe the recs thread sometime...

Yeah, true enough. Opeth has a great 'rustic'/'autumnal' quality to them which I haven't really heard anywhere else. Maybe I'll have to probe the recs thread sometime...

Agalloch and Woods of Ypres, and heh they don't suck at transitioning like Opeth do. Which means they're listenable because they don't ruin their own songs by abruptly going "HEY LETS JUMP RITE TO HEVY."

Poor vocals. Or not necessarily 'poor' but different.

For example, I really cannot get into Vader because the vocals put me off. I just don't like the vocalist's style of growling.

Agalloch and Woods of Ypres, and heh they don't suck at transitioning like Opeth do. Which means they're listenable because they don't ruin their own songs by abruptly going "HEY LETS JUMP RITE TO HEVY."

Yeah, I'm about to test-run some Agalloch; I've been hearing a lot about them since coming to this forum. I'll keep Woods in mind as well. Non-abrupt transitions are definitely nice...

without classical music there would be no Metal, well, shit, there would be no music for that matter, heh

but then again if you think about it, you can't compare classical with any genre.

So yea Metal is the shit because its a style of music that everyone contributes to, Swedes, Finns, Australians, Germans, Americans, everyone...

Well actually there would still be music without Western (i.e. European) classical music... it would just be very different from what it is today.
And yes... you can't compare any other style no matter how good to classical music which is the greatest artistic achievement of the human race.

...What the fuck? So, in other words, if one does not like a band, one should listen anyway? Ok, dude.

im talking about the lyrics or vocals, not the band

I guess im the only person here who just listens to the instruments and practically never the vocals(I think it's the fact that I really, really weird and I can't pick up lyrics as easily as others, growling or even clean, but on the other hand, I can remember solos and riffs much, much easier then lyrics)

Well actually there would still be music without Western (i.e. European) classical music... it would just be very different from what it is today.
And yes... you can't compare any other style no matter how good to classical music which is the greatest artistic achievement of the human race.

yay someone agrees with me

I chose having really stupid, experimental, retarded parts in otherwise good songs because I HATE when songs are ruined for one reason or another. And let's face it, a lot of the bands here that we like aren't the most technical, or skilled musicians out there, so I dont' understand why crappy playing is voted #1 right now.

Also, the whole selling out issue, at least you do have some material that you can enjoy forever and listen to over and over. However, if good songs are ruined by shitty intros or outros or solos or stupid dialogue or whatever (Bathory's One Eyed Old Man for example) I just can't fucking listen to it- I always skip over it and I think that's a terrible thing. That a song should be ruined by something shitty and inconsequential and that doesn't need to be there.
Thank god Bathory didn't do that in most of his songs, most of them work. If they didn't I probably wouldn't have liked him.

Sweet, someone who voted the same as I did. :) Pretty much sums up the way I feel. I can quite often deal with mediocre-sounding music as long as it stays within the realm of listenability. But when bands simply goof off, or insert these really boring spoken-word parts into the song, it just kills the momentum like nothing else. "One Eyed Old Man" is a perfect example of this. The rest of the song just kicks so much ass!

Probably my biggest pet peeve is having some cheesy movie clip or other non-band recording inserted in a song. I can't tell you how much I would enjoy Ministry if they didn't pepper their goddamn songs with retarded audio samples. I can't listen to most of their stuff for this reason alone. Fortunately, most bands confine these to the beginning of their songs; one quick cut in Audacity, and the MP3's as good as new :p