best reason to dislike a metal band

What would be your biggest reason for disliking a metal band?

• lack of skill / crappy playing

Votes: 21 32.3%
  • sounding like a copy of another band

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • moving away from their original style in order to gain popularity (selling out)

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • having really goofy experimental parts in what are otherwise good songs

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • can't decide

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • other reason not covered by this list

Votes: 19 29.2%

• Total voters
What fucking song is that?

Stupid lyrics are hardly an excuse to hate a band if they make music you enjoy. I hate gore lyrics, but happily listen to Bloodbath, Cannibal Corpse, early Death, Necrophagist, and countless other bands.

The song is "In Your Face" off Are You Dead Yet. And in no way does COB make music in which i enjoy, so i guess stupid lyrics are a legitimate reason to dislike a band.

I don't care much about lyrics as long as they are not so stupid that you can't even take it seriously (like trivium, children of bodom, etc...)

I do enjoy lyrics by bands like later death, opeth, etc...

I can relate to Selling Out or ripping off the styles of other bands. But in any case, I feel Metal is such a perfect genre that even the lamest band may have something to offer.

Which is why Metal > all other genres.
without classical music there would be no Metal, well, shit, there would be no music for that matter, heh

but then again if you think about it, you can't compare classical with any genre.

So yea Metal is the shit because its a style of music that everyone contributes to, Swedes, Finns, Australians, Germans, Americans, everyone...

i cant stand when bands just sound like MUSH(EHEM cannibal corpse) i hate most tech death/ death due to the fact the singer doesnt articulate he just goes gragragra children gragragra stabbed gragragra (necrophagist's music kicks enough ass to forgive this though"

I will spare you for mentioning necrophagist, but honestly...that's what metal is, harsh vocals. But please for the love of fucking god,(in my opinion) metal is about the FUCKING MUSIC DAMN IT! If Gorgoroth, or Nile one day decided to growl the lyrics from the Barney theme song, then so fucking be it as long as there is good music; Whether it be a mean ass blast beat, riff or solo, I wouldn't give a flying fuck about vocals.

so bottom line, dont give a shit about vocals if they bother you so much, listen to the music and then later the vocals will grow on you. I remeber i hated growls, but when i listened to the music i loved it, but now, I want to growl because ive gotten used to it :) :headbang: :kickass:

ok now the bottom line: suck it up or just ignore it if it bothers you so much

I will spare you for mentioning necrophagist, but honestly...that's what metal is, harsh vocals. But please for the love of fucking god,(in my opinion) metal is about the FUCKING MUSIC DAMN IT! If Gorgoroth, or Nile one day decided to growl the lyrics from the Barney theme song, then so fucking be it as long as there is good music; Whether it be a mean ass blast beat, riff or solo, I wouldn't give a flying fuck about vocals.

so bottom line, dont give a shit about vocals if they bother you so much, listen to the music and then later the vocals will grow on you. I remeber i hated growls, but when i listened to the music i loved it, but now, I want to growl because ive gotten used to it :) :headbang: :kickass:

ok now the bottom line: suck it up or just ignore it if it bothers you so much

he's probably a power metal fan (no offense to other PM fans on this board, just not my cup of tea)

vocals are crucial in power and progressive metal

opeth/symphony x would not be anywhere near as good as they are without the greatness of russ Allen and Mike Akerfeldt

I chose having really stupid, experimental, retarded parts in otherwise good songs because I HATE when songs are ruined for one reason or another. And let's face it, a lot of the bands here that we like aren't the most technical, or skilled musicians out there, so I dont' understand why crappy playing is voted #1 right now.

Also, the whole selling out issue, at least you do have some material that you can enjoy forever and listen to over and over. However, if good songs are ruined by shitty intros or outros or solos or stupid dialogue or whatever (Bathory's One Eyed Old Man for example) I just can't fucking listen to it- I always skip over it and I think that's a terrible thing. That a song should be ruined by something shitty and inconsequential and that doesn't need to be there.
Thank god Bathory didn't do that in most of his songs, most of them work. If they didn't I probably wouldn't have liked him.

vocals are crucial in power and progressive metal

opeth/symphony x would not be anywhere near as good as they are without the greatness of russ Allen and Mike Akerfeldt

I think both vocalists shoes could be filled rather easily to be honest, well perhaps not Mikael (but two vocalists could :p). Someone like Daniel Gildenlow or Devin Townsend however is not replaceable.

Alright, You can think Dax's lyrics are stupid, I dont really care, and i dont feel like arguing. I like Dax, you dont. But im pretty sure Dax didnt do anything as stupid as "i double dare you" in any of his songs...

I like neither band. both suck.

Dax is one of the better lyricists in metal, able to get out angsty lyrics without sounding too cliche and his voice is awesome.

his voice seems pretty contrived to me....I could hear his voice and that douche from Puddle Of Crud side by side and not be able to tell the difference.

his voice seems pretty contrived to me....I could hear his voice and that douche from Puddle Of Crud side by side and not be able to tell the difference.

Eh, he could do radio rock easily but his screams are really quite good too and the voice he uses normally in Acid Bath works awesomely.

Eh, he could do radio rock easily but his screams are really quite good too and the voice he uses normally in Acid Bath works awesomely.

my opinion is probably real flimsy considering the only Acid Bath I heard was "When The Kite String Pops". I'll probably give it another listen but I doubt my opinion would change.

They've only got two albums anyways so give Paegan Terrorism Tactics a try, alot of people I know like it more that WtKSP.

You two are complete fucking morons, nice job.

Motley Crue owns your fucking soul son, now go SHOUT AT THE DEVAAAAL!!!

So I am a moron for saying Metal has something for everyone?

I listen to every genre of metal, usually switching to a different genre when I get bored of the one I have been listening to. Perhaps I am not an elitist, but I do give every genre a chance, and I always find something I like in it.