Black Metal.

I've only got In Harmonia Universali, not exactly black metal but I still like it. I remember a few years ago I was on an "avant-garde" phase and pretty much got anything that had that tinge of weirdness to it.

Then why do you only have one album from Solefald? :)

I have them all and I like them all - from time to time. They are not exactly albums you would listen to all the time.

Just listened to the new Otargos, first listen. It's damn good BM. I don't know any of their other albums but this new one is interesting. Don't usually see them mentioned in here.

Picked this up at Reckless yesterday:

3293.jpg

It was four bucks.

It's decent melodic black metal, with quite a bit of death metal influence (the guitar tone strikes me as more death metal than black metal; kind of similar to the aesthetic Aeternus went for). Also, the symphonic elements are pretty prominent, but not ridiculous.

Never seen their music video, so I can't comment.

Haven't seen the video? Man you must be deprived. So fucking gr1m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDYHZMYMOSs&feature=related

That's a classic! It's been a while since I saw it.

But hey, give them a break, the Brits hardly had a black metal scene in the 90s! When it didn't work out for Jon in Cradle of Filth, he set out to put the UK on the map, borrowing Dani Filth's vocal chords, CoF's musical ideas, and Immortal's grimmbitten touch for their video.

Still, it's a great EP and for $4, that's a steal!

Just listened to the new Otargos, first listen. It's damn good BM. I don't know any of their other albums but this new one is interesting. Don't usually see them mentioned in here.

Well, i heard their new album too, and i was pretty impressed. Indeed, good black metal. Though, i haven't heard anything from this band except for the new one.

Well, i heard their new album too, and i was pretty impressed. Indeed, good black metal. Though, i haven't heard anything from this band except for the new one.

Yeah, I'll try their other albums, No God No Satan sounds damn good. I'll spin it a few more times before saying it's awesome but so far I'm also impressed.

Alternate forms of music such as, say, contemporary classical, post rock, shoegaze, western folk music, and crust punk? I don't understand why the time frame is significant, but if you'd like, we can call it revivalist post black metal or something.

I'm familiar with Fleurety, Ved Buens Ende, Ulver and their ilk. I'd call Arcturus Avant Garde Metal though.

You misunderstand. There's been some kind of historical revisionist movement to describe all music based on long, somewhat ambient and atmospheric instrumental passages as "post" be it hardcore, black metal, whatever. It's actually becoming a far more limited style. Whereas post simply meant any black metal band that experimented beyond the genre, while retaining a black metal spirit, now it means any black metal band imitating post rock, which is fairly offensive.

But "post black metal" isn't a temporal movement. It's a specific sound. Genres are defined by their musical qualities. Post black metal as a movement that immediately followed second wave black metal carries no distinctive qualifications.

Actually they all are, which is my point. You can't say a new style of music is suddenly a more valid use of the genre tag, particularly when the genre tag in question has an obvious meaning. Which is, of course, post meaning "after" or "beyond." It doesn't make sense to call atmospheric black metal "post black metal" and completely deny that there are many other forms of post black metal that are equally as valid. Post is a nebulous term without any concrete musical definition.

Hey guys lets argue about a subgenre within a subgenre of metal.

Post Black Metal at this point in time means black metal hybridized with Post Rock. Post Rock has a very distinct sound, imo. It's not some creation in the aftermath of black metal or something, it's just the only thing you could really call the genre.

A Goddamn / and the word rock fixes this anyway.
Post Rock/Black Metal
solved.