Black Metal.

I think Agalloch can be lumped into black metal painlessly enough.

I have a question about symphonic black metal. Isn't it just melodic black metal? If the keyboards are doing all of the work, I'd just call all that stuff melodic black metal. True symphonic metal should be like Haggard or Profanum, incorporating real orchestras to make their music authentically symphonic. Just my thought.

I don't think Symphonic BM and Melodic BM are the same, but I'm having a hard time thinking of an explanation. I just don't think they sound the same.

They're just not the same thing. I guess you could say there's a lot of crossover, but it's not necessary. Dissection and Sacramentum are melodic but not symphonic, while Emperor has some pretty sturdy chunks of symphonic dissonance.

I wonder why this thread has over twice the posts of the death metal one. Is black metal so much more popular, at least on this forum?

Both are very much on par in terms of popularity on this forum if recent polls are any indication. Also, you need to take into account the separate Brutal/Slam Death Metal thread which is also quite active.

I was just listening to some Bal-Sagoth and it's pretty hard not to call them symphonic. However, a large amount of melodic bands sound just like symphonic bands, and vice versa. The distinction between the two styles sometimes gets muddled.
Bal-Sagoth is pretty sweet.