Black Metal.

Zep, I have a strong feeling you might like the new Wolves In The Throne Room album. Care to check it out?

I've got so much on my list and not enough money to buy it all.

I listened to some myspace samples of their previous albums and thought it was pretty good, but not amazing.

i can usually tell the difference right away, black metal is more high pitched, guitars arent tuned down like with death metal. i cant see how it is hard at all unless you consider behemoth or belphegor or or some other blackend death metal band "black metal" and not "blackend death metal"

What would be the best post-Panzerfaust era Darkthrone album to pick up? I'm leaning towards either Total Death or Ravishing Grimness.

Venom is the first Black Metal band. Period. This is a factually accurate statement. This is not an opinion. If you disagree, you are wrong.

Mercyful Fate is Black Metal as well, but Venom came first. Then Hellhammer and Bathory.

No wonder you don't think Blut Aus Nord is black metal.

Anyways, I picked up Keep of Kalessin's Through Times of War at the record store because it was cheap and used. What should I expect from this album?

Venom is the first Black Metal band. Period. This is a factually accurate statement. This is not an opinion. If you disagree, you are wrong.

I will never understand your logic in this.

Venom and Mercyful Fate were HISTORICALLY black metal and helped influence the bands to come but I don't see how you can classify them as such based on musical output.

They were Black Metal in 1983. Why would changes after the fact impact whether or not their music that they created then is Black Metal? I think the problem is with your logic, not mine. Black Metal is not so narrowly defined by sound and technique as are other genres. Is it Cronos' fault that Euronymous and Varg thought it would be cool to call their music Black Metal? Venom was first. The Norwegian scene came after. Fuck revisionist history.

And even if you do want to delve into the musical difference realm, you should be able to see that even then Venom and Mercyful Fate were musically unorthodox as well.

In 1983 bands like Metallica were considered power metal so obviously there weren't definitive sub-genres back then. Venom didn't really make any musical revolutions with Welcome to Hell and Black Metal nor do I think they were trying to. I don't think they were entirely serious in inventing the term "black metal". Bands like Bathory and Mayhem just took the term and did something with it.

For the record, I love Venom. :cool:

If you can't differentiate between Venom and their peers or Mercyful Fate and their peers and see how they differ, then you're not listening very closely.

Frankly, it really doesn't matter if you think Venom is Black Metal or not, because they are Black Metal regardless of whether or not you think that they are. I'm saying this as a historical matter of fact. Venom is Black Metal. There is no other alternative.

If you can't differentiate between Venom and their peers or Mercyful Fate and their peers and see how they differ, then you're not listening very closely.

Frankly, it really doesn't matter if you think Venom is Black Metal or not, because they are Black Metal regardless of whether or not you think that they are. I'm saying this as a historical matter of fact. Venom is Black Metal. There is no other alternative.

They do differ from their peers, but not enough so that people would think an entire new revolution in music has been created.

Anyways, I picked up Keep of Kalessin's Through Times of War at the record store because it was cheap and used. What should I expect from this album?

I like this album, maybe not so original but if you like Mayhem DMDS, it's quite similar, underrated stuff in my opinion.... but I still think KoK's best material is on the Reclaim EP.