Black Metal.

I like that the director contacted Darkthrone, Mayhem and Burzum to attain rights to use their music in the film and all 3 declined. But Varg being played by a Jewish actor might be funny enough for me to check it out.

It’s my favourite GBK album at this point actually. It’s more stereotypically black metal than the first two in its riffing and structuring, but still has that signature GBK sound. I also prefer the vocalist on this one. Probably controversial.

Even more controversial I guess is I think they’re easily better than Arghoslent. Although obviously I like them a lot as well.

Reactions: Slayed Necros
Starting early with the 2019 black metal. I've heard all of these and they might be worth a shot for some of you.

Extirpation - A Damnation's Stairway to the Altar of Failure

Black/thrash. Pretty good stuff.

Xul of Kvlten - Entropic Increase from the Omega Aeon

Honestly not sure how I feel about this one. Worth further investigation.

Lunatic Affliction - Secreta Obscura Mysterium

Wrang - Domstad Swart Metael

Deveneror - Kenoma

For fans of the modern Deathspell Omega sound, this should be right up your alley. Not really for me.

Geheimnisvoll - Venomous Sorcery Through Hidden Darkness

Vocals are crap otherwise I'd like this more. Rawish black metal demo that's fairly melodic.

Akanatha - Baptism in Psychical Analects

I actually quite liked their debut from last year, derivative as it was. This is more of the same, except distinguishes itself even less imo and the melodies are less memorable. But if you like Judas Iscariot and Transilvanian Hunger but would prefer them with a less lo-fi sound, try this.

Nothing too exciting so far for black metal in 2019. Hoping it gets better as the year goes on.

Last edited:
I posted a little list in the Metal 2019 thread myself, including one or two of those. I liked Extirpation and I only just checked out Xul ov Kvlten the other day but liked it too. Needs more listens though obviously.

Some others from this year already that I'm liking are Saqra's Cult from Belgium (members from Possession and Maleficence):

And the new Lantern EP (Finnish black/death):

Reactions: dwellerINTHEdark
Starting early with the 2019 black metal. I've heard all of these and they might be worth a shot for some of you.

Extirpation - A Damnation's Stairway to the Altar of Failure

Black/thrash. Pretty good stuff.

Xul of Kvlten - Entropic Increase from the Omega Aeon

Honestly not sure how I feel about this one. Worth further investigation.

Lunatic Affliction - Secreta Obscura Mysterium

Wrang - Domstad Swart Metael

Deveneror - Kenoma

For fans of the modern Deathspell Omega sound, this should be right up your alley. Not really for me.

Geheimnisvoll - Venomous Sorcery Through Hidden Darkness

Vocals are crap otherwise I'd like this more. Rawish black metal demo that's fairly melodic.

Akanatha - Baptism in Psychical Analects

I actually quite liked their debut from last year, derivative as it was. This is more of the same, except distinguishes itself even less imo and the melodies are less memorable. But if you like Judas Iscariot and Transilvanian Hunger but would prefer them with a less lo-fi sound, try this.

Nothing too exciting so far for black metal in 2019. Hoping it gets better as the year goes on.

Some gnarly cover art going on. I'll definitely be giving these a look.

Sticking by my new year's resolution to try and focus more on black metal in 2019.

Just grabbed this demo from Bandcamp:

Some others from Bandcamp:

More 2019 shit from my 'watch later' playlist on Youtube. Can't speak to any of the musicsince I haven't gotten around to them yet:

First release from a brand new band. ^

Last edited:
My New Year’s Resolution music wise was to listen to less black and death metal and focus more on trad and power metal. Hasn’t happened. If anything I’m listening to more black metal than ever haha.

Anyway, after the uniqueness of that Ifernach from last year I checked out their new EP to see how they’d developed their sound. And it’s like a completely different band. Way too atmospheric for my liking on a cursory listen. Gone seems to be the thrashing mixed with the interesting melodies. But I’ll give it another shot soon, but it seems way more formulaic.

I haven’t heard some of the others you posted. Will give them a whirl.

My New Year’s Resolution music wise was to listen to less black and death metal and focus more on trad and power metal. Hasn’t happened. If anything I’m listening to more black metal than ever haha.

Anyway, after the uniqueness of that Ifernach from last year I checked out their new EP to see how they’d developed their sound. And it’s like a completely different band. Way too atmospheric for my liking on a cursory listen. Gone seems to be the thrashing mixed with the interesting melodies. But I’ll give it another shot soon, but it seems way more formulaic.

I haven’t heard some of the others you posted. Will give them a whirl.

Yeah, I listen to more than enough traditional metal and I’m not opposed to hearing more but I’ll always be more interested in extreme metal.

Reactions: Phylactery

Just finished listening myself... ah what a major disappointment!

I've been down the black metal rabbit hole for the last year or so. Bout time I dump some of the more notable things I've found that I haven't seen discussed much around these parts:

Basically a Vietnamese dude moved to Minneapolis and started making Moonblood-esque tapes.

Most sincere attempt at incorporating Gabba and Industrial into the black metal template I've found

Really waft and loft sympho stuff.

(((Shimmery guitar tone)))

I don't know how well this stuff will play with this crowd, but certainly worth looking into if you want some stuff off the beaten path

Reactions: Phylactery and CiG
That Vothana is good stuff and instantly appealing. The last one sounded interesting aswell, cheers!

Not sure about the middle two. Will have to give them a proper listen. But as far as recent symphonic black metal goes, Vargrav is all I seem to want to listen to.

Unholy Vampire Slaughter Sect is one of those improvised black metal bands that releases their trash on super limited releases. The guy is also a Soundcloud rapper.

Reactions: Dazed and Brutal