COB start writing new album

I myself find Something Wild to be the best CoB album. I really like the whole dark atmosphere of the whole thing. I think it had a little spice none of the other albums had, and made it a really special album. It's great. Like that's the only album that I can think of that sounds like that. At all.

SW has Touch Like Angel of Death, SW wins. Although the best version is on TW anyway :)

I myself find Something Wild to be the best CoB album. I really like the whole dark atmosphere of the whole thing. I think it had a little spice none of the other albums had, and made it a really special album. It's great. Like that's the only album that I can think of that sounds like that. At all.

Totally agree. It's so raw and cheesy as well in the best way possible.

I'm not trolling and I think that a shit load of you so called "Bodom fans" are just wanking of KTS because of the solos (nobody cares about the song itself), but not because they are good. Just because they are long. ^^ I've often read it on Youtube that some guys shit in their pants because the KTS solos are sooo faaaaast and guitar/key solo !!!11!11!! and looong... That is really sad because this is really a song where you can hear that it was written in studio, just to have a 9th song.

Even the riffs under the solo are so fucking lame. Every simple garage band could compose better ones.

Just like you sarcastically refer to my opinions being "facts", same deal goes to your bias at everything guitar-related that's not divinely ultra difficult to play. SNBN is a boring song? KTS is an atmosphere-less song? That's because you think so much technically. In my opinion SNBN is the single most epic song ever created by mankind, it slays the opposition in brutal scythe swipes and blinds them in all it's epicness, sending people on their knees bowing and saluting to its greatness, while KTS verses are some of the most atmospheric Bodom ever. The chorus is stupid tho, the solos look really cool when played, but it's just show off, (the end is epic tho...)

0:30 - 0:58

1:21 - 1:41 contains some of the most epic and atmospheric pieces of music ever, the melody and vocals...

I relate a lot of nostalgy to this album, all these atmospheric things make me think of the bunch of teens drinking and smoking and doing crazy shit at the lakeside so many years ago... that stuff is all lost in the past now and these are the reasons why listening to this shit affects me emotionally, as there's a nostalgy behind the great music...

I think when you rip SNBN of its epicness explaining it has a simple technical construction, it's like describing making love as an "exchanging of fluids." Think about it for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Children of Bodom is one of a few metal band I enoy to listen because their music facsinate me(did). I don't like anything they have done after FtR. Expect few things about HCDR. KTS is a great song it has a great feeling in it.
Music is not a sport, it's not about the complexity but the melody, and the feeling you can get of it. For me the CoB of today sounds ugly, the prod of RRF sounds so muddy it's awfull to listen, and the writting dosen't even make sense I don't like it at all... Yet I keep hopping every new record that they are going to write something great ...again :(

There's always and will always be a discussion about what a song should have to be good. Of course you don't need technical riffs to have a good song - best example is ETID. But I get bored of the old songs (and some new)really fast because I it doesn't make fun to play them on guitar. When I listen to a song which isn't actually "good" in most peoples eyes but has some cool riffing in it, then I rather listen to that song. But that's probaly the nature of (advanced) guitarists. Songs like Trashed, NMF, SK, Ugly and AYDY are a good mix of both. They are technical challenging with some cool riffs but are also melodic and have a good atmosphere.
Halo of Blood has a good atmosphere too and is really aggressive but as you said - the song itself is boring.

Sure, if you're listening from a musician point of view, the new stuff is more "interesting" and technical to play. I'm not saying I hate any COB album, of course there is good songs from the new albums too. For example NMF,SKO,PFMS from RRF are great songs. Technical and still got that nice vibe that gives me a smile. Those two things doesnt exclude each other. Bodom is a good example of that.
But nowadays I think Im a bit too Jazz-oriented and when I listen to metal that few times a week, I listen the ensemble. Guitar is only one aspect in the whole concept. So thats where I take my opinion on the "good" and the "bad" albums.
After all its only personal opinions here and its always fun to discuss about shit here.

How can you hate on Kissing the Shadows? Easily top5 Bodom ever. I don't care if it's the hardest or easiest song on guitar, nothing can beat that melody that starts around 0:45 sec into the song.

Music is about combining technicallity with melodies. They bind each other.
If you want pure technicallity and show-off, go listen to Dream Theater and Dragonforce. They really have stuff that's hard to play on every instrument they use. Though the final product, the whole song they make, usually has nothing that touches you.

Jep, Kissing The Shadows is one of their best, and no it's not only because of the epic solo's. The melody, the solos and the lyrics are just amazing!

I`m running after you throughout
the valleys of tormented souls,
don`t you be afraid of me only kissing your shadow...
You`re so far away, I can feel your scent,
when I caress your shadow,
and if you truly want I`ll cross the line, I`ll follow.

How can someone just not love that part!?

I have to say though that my favorite album is Hatebreeder (and TW) that is the true Bodom for me. Blooddrunk and RRF has only one song each that I really like, Banned From Heaven and Roundtrip To Hell and Back, I can barely even remember the name of any other songs on those albums because they were so easy to forget for me. But I will always love CoB even if they would never make an album to my liking again, because they have already made 3 legendary albums (SW, Hatebreeder, FtR) and have so many songs that I love. And as a guitarplayer no other band has inspired me more. I do have high hoped of Halo of Blood and I really hope it's is back to the roots as they say, and I don't believe that CoB won't make an album that isn't to my liking every again, but it might take a few more years.

As Joonas said the music and atmosphere is connected to passed memories and nostalgic events. Maybe when CoB gets older they too will get nostalgic about their passed and go back even more to their roots and music they made in their teens. Maybe, maybe not, I guess time will tell.

Technicality makes songs much more interesting in my opinion. Every pop song SOUNDS good, but a good majority of us don't listen to that style because it's bland and boring as fuck. That's the extreme of simplicity though, then again you've got guys who can play flight of the bumblebee at 673480914 bpm, which sounds just as boring as any pop song. I like the newest album, because it's much more interesting then a good amount of what Bodom has written in the past and still sounds sick. Their style of songwriting isn't getting worse, it's getting better. The "good" songwriting that people like is the simple chord progressions that are easy to hold onto and remember. Like Arcane said, KTS is a good example of that, you can tell they just added it in. That being said, I am not a hardcore "zomg itz n0t techincul enuf" type person. I love ETID and a lot of their simpler songs. Something like HCDR is great to me, since I think it's a great middle-ground between technicality and melodic writing, even though FtR is my favorite album. Music is completely OPINIONATED, and this comment is my opinion, that overly simple music is just as boring as overly technical music.

I think a lot you guys understand me wrong and think that I think, that only technical can be good songs or the more technical a song is, the better it is which is not true! I can listen to Systems Tocxicity album 24/7 and none of those is technical in any way.
But for Bodom, I prefer technical songs over any "simple" song, except songs with great melodies or/and atmosphere. ETID is on of them. SNBN not. But that's just my opinion. And that's just because I love to play COB songs on guitar. If COB would make more songs with some cool "real"chorus parts or so (what they do since AYDY), then it's another story. In nearly every song on the first 4 albums, you can't really tell where the normal verse parts end and the chorus starts. For me, most of those songs just contain verse parts.
The reason why I started to listen and love Bodom back in 1998 has two simple reasons: Solos and guitar work. I was never a big fan of Alexis voice since AYDY (what?!? how could he say that?!?) or Jannes annoying keyboard playing (whaaaaattt?!?!?). And when I started to play Bodom for myself and became better and better on guitar, it's clear that I search for something new, some new challenging but old COB doesn't give me that (except the solos).

Technicality makes songs much more interesting in my opinion. Every pop song SOUNDS good, but a good majority of us don't listen to that style because it's bland and boring as fuck. That's the extreme of simplicity though, then again you've got guys who can play flight of the bumblebee at 673480914 bpm, which sounds just as boring as any pop song. I like the newest album, because it's much more interesting then a good amount of what Bodom has written in the past and still sounds sick. Their style of songwriting isn't getting worse, it's getting better. The "good" songwriting that people like is the simple chord progressions that are easy to hold onto and remember. Like Arcane said, KTS is a good example of that, you can tell they just added it in. That being said, I am not a hardcore "zomg itz n0t techincul enuf" type person. I love ETID and a lot of their simpler songs. Something like HCDR is great to me, since I think it's a great middle-ground between technicality and melodic writing, even though FtR is my favorite album. Music is completely OPINIONATED, and this comment is my opinion, that overly simple music is just as boring as overly technical music.

But have you ever thought about that people who write the "Pop-songs" are usually the top of the songwriters. They really know how to do their jobs. They have been studying music, listened to it and they have more experience and knowledge on music than anyone here. I figured that out and I really can enjoy myself with Spotify's top list nowadays. Sure there is that majority of terrible singers and overproduced teenpussies, but you can still find some of it interesting and learn from it.
I like to listen 70-90's pop because its so much talented than the 21th century massproduced candyshop-music.
I find it more enjoyable than any wanking mediocre metal-band, which nowadays you can find too many.

But have you ever thought about that people who write the "Pop-songs" are usually the top of the songwriters. They really know how to do their jobs. They have been studying music, listened to it and they have more experience and knowledge on music than anyone here. I figured that out and I really can enjoy myself with Spotify's top list nowadays. Sure there is that majority of terrible singers and overproduced teenpussies, but you can still find some of it interesting and learn from it.
I like to listen 70-90's pop because its so much talented than the 21th century massproduced candyshop-music.
I find it more enjoyable than any wanking mediocre metal-band, which nowadays you can find too many.

Wow. Are...are you...are you me?!!

Oh I know that the songwriters for good pop musicians are very knowledgable people. I'm talking about the "21st century massproduced candy-shop" music as you call it. And I agree there's too many "look how fast I can play!" wankfest metal bands out there now, that forget music isn't a sport.