COB start writing new album

Guys i have just found a similarity (new/old bodom).
just compare :

Halo of blood (1:29 -1:31)

with

Hatebreeder (2:31- 2:34)

Last edited by a moderator:
After Twilight of the Thunder God I thought, awesome, but the next album should bring something new to the table. Then Surtur Rising was released and I thought the same thing. But when I heard the new song I am still on that boat. I desperately want them to try something new but for some reason they don't bore me, even though I expected that to happen 2 albums ago.

What a shitty song by them, I fell asleep.

On topic: Sometimes bands make a "return to the roots" by returning to the old sound, because fans cry for years how they turned to shit, but usually the songwriting isn't close as epic, so it's worth nothing. I know many bands who did exactly this within the last year, and I hope Bodom manage to pull off epic songwriting as well.

When he said that RRF has the best guitar tone and mixing. All his opinions from a guitar players standpoint make sense to me (except for the bit about the tone) as I am also a guitar player, but that is only one of the various elements needed to make a good song/album. While RRF may have some of the most technical riffing, it is severely lacking in other areas. Mediocre production, terrible sounding drums, out of place songs that take away from the atmosphere of the album. Technical playing does not equate to good songwriting. However, seeing as SW is probably my favourite COB album I can see why we have completely differing opinions on the matter haha. I much prefer the neo-classical stuff to the technical riffing.

Because it does for the most part. I myself like more HCD's, but the guitars were doubled there and it can be a bit too harsh. Same with FTR. HB is too thin. SW's tone is terrible, but understandable for the means and time it was recorded in. AYDY's guitars are incredibly weak, BD is muddy beyond belief. RRF has a cool guitar tone, a sort of distinguishable bass, keys back to a good level and I don't know where you get the "terrible sounding drums" part from. Out of place songs? Exactly what does that mean and what qualifies you (or me for that matter) to know where a song places? And it's not like it's straight in your face WTF kind of change between songs (besides maybe WIWI, but I don't know where that song came from).

Well the neoclassical is not coming back, and after 10 years it's kind of tiring to keep getting "neoclasicoolz" arguments when the albums they're making are distinctively different and they've stated over and over that going back's not happening. The thing most old album lovers seem to fail to realize is that every song they have put out there (again with the exception of WIWI) sounds distinctively Bodom. No neoclassical, but easily recognizable as being COB all while going other directions they like more now apparently with the music. And again, the albums they're making are not bad, not by a mile. Some songs are, but the albums in general are not (much maligned AYDY included). Their only actual crime is not being neoclassical, and as I said, it's getting pretty boring after 10 years. And no, it's not that we're after supertechnical Petrucci-like fast crazy stuff, but we do appreciate when the basis of a song is something more than powerchords and then throwing some (amazing, that I won't deny) melodies over them.

SW has Touch Like Angel of Death, SW wins. Although the best version is on TW anyway :)

Right you are at that, and a lot has to do with the better tone TW has. As with BD, I find myself not listening to SW too much because the tone is bad. Also doesn't help that it's in C# so I never play over it, but that's more of a guitarist problem than a knock on the album itself.

^I think fans are not talking in technical terms when they talk about missing the old shit. It's not neo-classical stuff they're missing or anything like this, it's just the depth, epicness and mystical feel and the malice and sexual melodicy in the music, think of SNBN. This kind of diamonds are seldom born, you throw a masterful song like this on stage and it thoroughly rapes the opposition of bands.

Tokyo Warhearts isn't the best sound for my taste, there's something that leaves the drums so naked, maybe there's too little echo on guitar or something... it's not as juicy sound world as it could be. The guitar tone isn't best possible for that style of music. Lead melody is great but riffing is like it comes and goes... my memory could be failing me, I should listen to it again... I don't think the guitar tone is perfect on the Hatebreeder album either, it could be a touch more atmospheric. But this is only sometimes, cos other times it's just perfect in its purpose...

Crank up some power and listen to the riffing from 1:53... My favourite part on the song is 2:05 - 2:06.

I'm very satisfied with the guitar tone in the black metal riff of Halo of Blood, it's atmospheric and it's what I kept hoping for.

Last edited by a moderator:
^I think fans are not talking in technical terms when they talk about missing the old shit. It's not neo-classical stuff they're missing or anything like this, it's just the depth, epicness and mystical feel and the malice and sexual melodicy in the music, think of SNBN.

Tokyo Warhearts isn't the best sound for my taste, there's something that leaves the drums so naked, maybe there's too little echo on guitar or something... it's not as juicy sound world as it could be. The guitar tone isn't best possible for that style of music. Lead melody is great but riffing is like it comes and goes.

i think SNBN is quite overrated, and also Hatebreeder and Downfall

I disagree. But I never understood what's so special about the intro guitar riff/melody of Downfall. Otherwise a very interesting song. Too bad for the annoying vocals in the mid-section of Hatebreeder - that totally spoils an otherwise godly metal song, which has some of the best Bodom singing ever too.

i think SNBN is quite overrated, and also Hatebreeder and Downfall
How so? They're popular sure, but they're that way for a reason.

There aren't any other songs on the album like Downfall, and Silent Night Bodom Night is one of the only faster paced shred songs on the album besides Towards Dead End. And I'd hardly consider Hatebreeder to be overrated..