COB start writing new album

Some interesting lyrics. I can hear "fallen angel" at some point. 2:10 "kill the troll", lol.

Last Fall when people on the forum were dissing me and calling me negative and whiner, when I was just painting a picture of Bodom doing exactly what they ended up doing with this album (them telling my fantasy will never come true), I told them what's going on is the psychological term transference: they were only whining and being negative themselves at every post and reflected that property at me.

Last years on the forum have been like so:

Joonas - "Bodom should take the Lake/Reaper theme back, it had interesting vibe and symbolism... lakes and trees... Bodom means "north" so why not winter artwork, it could fit with grim guitars and icy keyboards... They should make the songs sound more sexy and atmospheric even if it means cutting down on technicality of riffs... I want melodic black metal riffing... dramatic orchestral hits... I hope Alexi sobers up and gets nostalgic about his past art and ignores the thrashy riffing and alcohol themes."

Trolls - "Stop whining Joonas, stop being so negative, it's never gonna happen, die!"

Look what's happened now. This makes me not regret having dedicated so much literary creativity on this forum instead of other stuff.

/win.
To be honest with You, Joonas (and I think I'm not one of the trolls, cause I post here rarely and don't discuss others), the reason that I don't like some of Your and similar posts is that You post in a way, that suggests that you know best, what Is better for the band. And I find this often a little arrogant, because
A.) I hate when someone tells me what is best for myself and
B.) I think that making music is about expressing yourself, therefore only musicians know what is better for them. fans' satisfaction comes after that. I would have no problem with a post starting with "I would love them to..." instead of "they should..." ;)

That being said, I know you are one of the most dedicated fans of the band out there, which makes at least two of us - so hopefully no offence taken. Would love to have a beer (or tw... ten) with you :kickass:

To be honest with You, Joonas (and I think I'm not one of the trolls, cause I post here rarely and don't discuss others), the reason that I don't like some of Your and similar posts is that You post in a way, that suggests that you know best, what Is better for the band. And I find this often a little arrogant, because
A.) I hate when someone tells me what is best for myself and
B.) I think that making music is about expressing yourself, therefore only musicians know what is better for them. fans' satisfaction comes after that. I would have no problem with a post starting with "I would love them to..." instead of "they should..." ;)

That being said, I know you are one of the most dedicated fans of the band out there, which makes at least two of us - so hopefully no offence taken. Would love to have a beer (or tw... ten) with you :kickass:

Fair enough, and I know I express my strong opinions as tho they were basically facts and naturally it feels angering to others (RRF fans). I just feel pretty secure I knew what was the right thing to do for COB.

Thing is however, and I really hate if I sound arrogant, but it appears so far they've done pretty much exactly what I was hoping them to do... so I'm excited and waiting to see if the other songs are up to the task of creating a masterful album.

Beers would be cool, but that would be non-alcoholic for me since I sobered up Fall '11, but if I was still drinking then I would arrange a drinking party under some bridge at the lakeside with a case of spirits and ghettoblaster with the Halo of Blood CD, get wasted and discuss the deepest meaning of COB's music while partying like animals. That's how I rolled in the past, but I decided to channel my energy to something else than the drinking addiction. Still if somebody wants to chill, I'm weird enough with orange juice.

Some interesting lyrics. I can hear "fallen angel" at some point. 2:10 "kill the troll", lol.

Last Fall when people on the forum were dissing me and calling me negative and whiner, when I was just painting a picture of Bodom doing exactly what they ended up doing with this album (them telling my fantasy will never come true), I told them what's going on is the psychological term transference: they were only whining and being negative themselves at every post and reflected that property at me.

Joonas - "Bodom should take the Lake/Reaper theme back, it had interesting vibe and symbolism... lakes and trees... Bodom means "north" so why not winter artwork, it could fit with grim guitars and icy keyboards... They should make the songs sound more sexy and atmospheric even if it means cutting down on technicality of riffs... I want melodic black metal riffing... dramatic orchestral hits... I hope Alexi sobers up and gets nostalgic about his past art and ignores the thrashy riffing and alcohol themes."

Trolls - "Stop whining Joonas, stop being so negative, it's never gonna happen, die!"

Look what's happened now. This makes me not regret having dedicated so much literary creativity on this forum instead of other stuff.

/win.

:lol: ! Too much win in it.

RRF meantioning as their worst album is based on your personal opinion. SW and BD are definitely worse and RRF is - seen through a guitar players eye - probably more interesting than any other COB album. And again - RRF isn't a bad album. It has the best guitar tone and the best mixing of all albums yet, followed by HCDR (mixing-wise). And it's a fact that many people like AND prefer RRF over any other COB album because of its technical aspect. Think about it ^^
And to be honest... SNBN is boring as fuck! I don't know why you always mention it. And so is Downfall (LBRH was the winner of the last "best COB song" contest and Downfall was one of their worst...). Downfall has a great opening riff and some good atmosphere in it but that's all. KTS is - at least in my opinion - one their worst songs. It has lame guitar riffs in it, lame solos, lame melodies and no atmosphere.
And timeless ideas and rich soundworld is not what WE ne, it is just what YOU need. I'm satisfied when I can hear some cool riffs, a good solo, a great mixing and a great guitar tone and I don't give a fuck about atmosphere or great melodies as long as it challenges me in a technical way and is heavy as fuck (I love drop C songs)! That's why I love AYDY and RRF.
To come to an end - as a guitar player, I'd like to hear songs like AYDY, T,L&S, NMF, Ugly,LB,whole Sinergy...everything with some cool riffs and rythm parts in it. As a listener only, I'd like to hear songs like ETID or Sinergy based songs (of course without Kims ugly voice).

I'll just pretend I didn't read this :OMG:

I'm not trolling and I think that a shit load of you so called "Bodom fans" are just wanking of KTS because of the solos (nobody cares about the song itself), but not because they are good. Just because they are long. ^^ I've often read it on Youtube that some guys shit in their pants because the KTS solos are sooo faaaaast and guitar/key solo !!!11!11!! and looong... That is really sad because this is really a song where you can hear that it was written in studio, just to have a 9th song.

Even the riffs under the solo are so fucking lame. Every simple garage band could compose better ones.

I like KTS, here is why: Ok it might not be as atmospheric as certain otehr CoB songs but KTS is just a solo madness to me its a milestone as a guitar player if you can play this song, I've played the guitar for 3,5 years now and when about 2 months ago i was able to play the song i was mindblown. and proud. what arcane mentions i disagree, i love the D-tuned songs ALOT more, C tuning is alexi's way of getting towards his lamb-of-god style music(which he likes) the Riffs in RRF SUCK its going more to some brootal music which sounds like it has stops in it after every note(which are PM's ofcourse, but not using triplets) then the atmospheric and melodic CoD which i prefer. RRF has NO melodies wich are refferable as a guitar player, THE ONLY THING good about RRF is the beauty of a solo put on "Ugly".
ok the so called "older bodom" people mention which imo is just the atmospheric one has sometimes more black-metal-ish riffs which are filled with long lines of pm's which are rythmicly seen less challenging but thats the genre. they started off with the idea of mixing black metal with melodics, as alexi stated in some interview somewhere whichh i cant be arsed with to look up. Bodom is about interludes, melodies and solo's imo, RRF may be very difficult, but whats the use if it has no good songs. Hate me! has the EASIEST riffs EVER and its one of the most liked by the fans... as a guitar player i want action and fun when playing.

Okay I admit at first I wasn't too fond of the song, but it quickly grew on me. The solo is fast, mean, and aggressive. Just how I like it. Imo I like Halo of Blood more because I like the speed more and the black metal influence put it (seeing how I am a rather big black metal fan).

I'm very amazed by this unbelievable interlude (transference 2:27). i was like OMFG HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN AGAIN? DID I JUST HEAR? IT was like a dream coming true. its very FTR ish like the interlude of bodom after midnight (bam 2:00) with that guitar effect (flanger?) ,that YAAW! thing, that blue atmosphere all over it and the lead guitar which sounds exactly like the golden ages FTR/sinergy periods imo.
Transference is absolutly a gem and a old school bodom trade mark and it deserved to be 8th.

/win.

I wouldn't call them trolls, because that was the logical approach. As Alexi got older and his writing ability evolved, his music evolved as well. It's was three (of four) albums in a row of the same pattern. Now, many bands in COB's position eventually try a return to the roots because not one but many fans ask for it. Personally, I didn't think Alexi would ever do a complete 180 with his writing, as did most logical people. Nobody's complaining though. In most cases,

Also, it takes many many fans to cause a drastic change of direction. With or without your constant rambling, COB would still do the same exact thing.

Don't get me wrong, it's great to be a passionate fan, and I'm happy for you that after many years you're enjoying COB again. However, I don't see you as a prophet in this situation. Just an insane fan for many years where coincidentally his views finally coincided with the band's.

Very noice track- I didn't really like the melody in the previews but it fits great with the rest of the song & now I find it stuck in my head a lot. Dat part at 3:34 gave me a chubby in the pants. So glad Halo Of Blood and Transference don't have any thrashy riffing in it- was getting a bit stale from their past few albums. Hopefully they have at least a song with more than one melody in the one track like FTR had- that's what i've been missing with COB; their newer stuff mainly has only one melody and just riffing during the verses unlike the old stuff. Either way I know this will be a great album.

Time for review...
The intro sounds surprisingly nice, like wolves howling (it's an odd rarity for Bodom to play around in studio like this). Verses are gold. Chorus would taste better with less repetitions in the trailers, but it's a real cherry at the end. It's a great Bodom party track with light blue and pink atmosphere and some Satanic flavors as well.

WTF are you smoking man? Enough already with such posts.

I just got the chance to listen to Transference. And holy fuck is it awesome!!
The vocals perfectly fit the song. I thought I didn't like that part in the NB interview part 1, but it's excellent in the scope of the entire song.
They really added extra little things as well to not make it as generic as was more so the case in the previous few albums.
That part at 2:28-3:02, going straight into the solo.. you can really feel the Bodom vibes.
the shout at 3:35 is great too, although how it goes into his more normal voice in the end is pretty funny.

Conclusion: 1 epic song, 1 great song out of 2. Fuck yes!!

HOLY SHIT!

I can hear the 1999-2003 COB in this song!
An eargasm.

I want this album to blow my brains and it seems it'll do.

Just read the Soundi interview. Some interesting bits:

Theme of the album is the suicides and deaths of friends whose lives ended too young. So that's the deep essence of Halo of Blood. Alexi describes it was self-therapy for him doing this album, dealing with the feelings related to friends lost to death, which explains the darkness of the album, together with the hard Finnish winter that we just endured. This is something I can relate to, having lost a close friend to suicide in shocking fashion. There's something near mythical about the blood of suicide, thus halo of blood... like a purpose deeper than bonds of flesh.

Two songs on the album deal with lake Bodom lyrically.

One of the working titles was In the Shadows 2012. There's a pic of all the working titles listed on the mag. Original title of the slow song seems to have been Drive with the Dead Man.

I'm listening to the transference through my studio monitors. It is fantastic - and there is a lot going on in this song.