COB start writing new album

It's amazing what kind of leap Alexi took in songwriting already within the Inearthed period, from the first cassette to the Translucent Image one and then to the Shining demo with Talking of the Trees etc, then the jump to Something Wild, then the jump to Hatebreeder, and I'd say there was a jump to Follow the Reaper as well. But after that the style just changed and I wouldn't like to call the following albums "jumps", to me the following smells like the record label steered them to a generic direction and you can only talk about technical differences. Maybe the style changes were 100% dictated by Alexi's taste, who knows, but the thought of the business side manipulating his songwriting if this kind of improvement was still going on is murderous. His sensitivity to smelling out an atmospheric melody was definitely there already during Inearthed.

AAAAARRRRGGGGHHH!! its all to technical for me,im just an old man who likes his music. KKKKAAABBBBBOOOOOOOMMMMM!!! my head has exploded,excuse me while i go and mop up:lol:

Could the jump be the result of years of writing and preparation and then the dropping of intermediate periods of work? Like for example is there a storehouse of old work hiding somewhere that may be freed up by having returned to Nuclear Blast and will comprise the next album? That may explain how they keep touring like this and still expect to get a new album out so fast?

There is no shame in storing up work to revisit later lots of very skilled writers do that.

It's amazing what kind of leap Alexi took in songwriting already within the Inearthed period, from the first cassette to the Translucent Image one and then to the Shining demo with Talking of the Trees etc, then the jump to Something Wild, then the jump to Hatebreeder, and I'd say there was a jump to Follow the Reaper as well. But after that the style just changed and I wouldn't like to call the following albums "jumps", to me the following smells like the record label steered them to a generic direction and you can only talk about technical differences. Maybe the style changes were 100% dictated by Alexi's taste, who knows, but the thought of the business side manipulating his songwriting if this kind of improvement was still going on is murderous. His sensitivity to smelling out an atmospheric melody was definitely there already during Inearthed.

It might be. Alexi writes a lots of riffs and ideas to his four-tracker, there might be still many diamonds to discover he has written over the years.
But as far as I know about songwriting, when you make a riff and like it a lot, you rather build it up to a song instead of just forgetting it for later.

Yes of course but when you enter into contracts and agreements the art falls under control of the contract so that sometimes your work is no longer your work. We are all subject to this fact. None are exempt. As such, i would not be the least bit surprised to find that the boys have chosen the works of other artists out of the vault of bitter truth and the next album comes out sounding like the lost works of some ill mannered chart topper. Then again we all long for our lost finest perhaps they will in fact take theirs and theirs alone.

So nice to hear that.

Glad to see things going fast, who knows, maybe this album beats the fuck off AYDY, BD and RRF.

It does indeed feel like nothing will change. I've sensed no particular enthusiasm to try something different. I just have a dream COB would produce an album that stops the annoyingness and thrashiness, instead providing old-school Bodom vocals, atmosphere, brutality and creativity, like a true melodic death metal album. They can't do any worse than the last album which only delivers in technical aspects.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

You believe shit shit, or do you say it to make yourself feel better?

There's not much atmosphere, no real aggression, not much good melodies, vocals are horrible. It has the hammering sound like so many metal bands these days, as did AYDY and Blooddrunk, but those two at least had SOME kind of atmosphere. I hope there will be a change in this trend cos we really need some interesting sounding metal bands. Of course HCDR was equally lacking in atmosphere, but the songwriting was more interesting. From a certain point of view only SKO has the intensity carried thorought the song that at least six songs on HCDR did. Every song on RRF has something good in it, but you fall asleep at some point.

I believe atmosphere is the key to everything, (all the haunting, dark as well as beautiful emotion in the music) you could make absolute magic when that is set as priority... technicality should only be a tool to make the actual art. But I should've learned by now this is a waste of time.

joonas, can you give your gmail or hotmail? These day I have made tracks of what you call atmospheric metal, if you give me your hotmail or gmail I can send, and tell me what do you thing about that ;) !

All I can say is thank God you're only 15. You need to explore the soundworlds and how to combine instruments. Try out some choirs and bells and other sounds and think what they're supposed to be used for. This is too superficial and rambling, you need to think deeper if you want to make atmospheric metal. Listen to Esoteric, Swallow the Sun, and lots of other bands.

Listen how this song feels like it has a purpose underneath the surface that's guiding it to a desired direction. That is the feeling that especially songs like Warheart, Silent Night, Hatebreeder, Downfall had in Children Of Bodom. Of course FTR album is atmospheric too but in a different way.

Last edited by a moderator: