COB start writing new album

I don't know when will be the next time in my life that I wait for something as anxiously as this again. Bodom returning to the roots, Alexi psyched about new material... wtf, didn't expect this to ever happen. So let's make the best of it...

So should this be viewed as the successor to Follow the Reaper? The next cult album.

Name... Artwork... Tracklist... Music... Please surprise me.

So should this be viewed as the successor to Follow the Reaper? The next cult album.

Ahh that would be AMAZING. But next cult album? They didn't made any REAL EPIC "fuck me, thats the Wildchild and the crew playin' " material long time ago, but i think it was just the Spinefarm influence or I hope so. This time we get some real change I guess.

Sounds like trolling to me D: didn't they say the very same stuff about the previous albums? "Yeah it sounds like this and that" and the album ends up sounding nothing like what they've described! I'm not gonna get my hopes high this time. When the actual songs come up, then I'll voice my opinion. Last time I remember, they cut all the good parts from each song and they put it all together. Well, we all know what happened when the actual songs came out. It just wasn't as good as what we expeted. Maybe that's just me, I don't know.

What I think is really going on:

Spinefarm attempted and partly succeeded in manipulating COB's musical direction.

Alexi has stated all the time he's not going back to the neo-classical stuff and says they were inexperienced in the old days. However, the past year has shown signs of the band starting to enjoy their older, more passionate-sounding music again, and now they've embraced the good aspects of the old style to their new album.

Bodom changed labels because they wanted the label not to interfere with their music in an unpleasant way.

There is now a plan to cultivate the desired aspects of the old-school Bodom material into their current musical taste. This way they can keep their beloved heaviness in the music, while incorporating more wild musical try-out in the mix, and returning to the darker and more atmospheric sound world. This gives them freedom to use the marketing strategy of "returning to the roots" and all that, but only to the extent when they don't have to discard elements they like from the music.

So practically I think whatever's going on it serves everybody...

And I have to admit: I'd rather have an old-schoolish Bodom album dictated by the label, than to have another RRF written spontaneously by Alexi. :lol: My gut feeling is Nuclear Blast was in contact with the band saying "you know, we could support you returning to the more interesting music and artwork", which the band thought was what they needed.

Or we could be less confusing and just say Alexi feels like doing more darker and less dull music again.

The "defined plan to return to the roots" is a marketing strategy. Alexi doesn't want to start doing neo-classical again and he doesn't want to get inexperienced again, he just wants to obtain the best elements of the old Bodom albums to the new material, the plan isn't to write SW pt2, HB pt2 or FTR pt2, the plan is to write a sequel to those, I suppose.

To sum it up, I understand this will be when they grasp the point again, since they forgot what they were all about with HCDR. Each of the old albums are very different, but they share the deeply interesting soundworld and energetic composions as similarity, plus the epic artwork theme - which are to return with this record...

What I find interesting is, RRF was described to have more melodies than Blooddrunk (on a quick count RRF contains 11 distinct melodies, compared to Blooddrunk's 8 based on my view on melodies), yet Blooddrunk sounds more like the old albums as it's darker. This new album is described very dark and more melodic than RRF - so it seems promising on paper.

Alexi always said they never looked back on the past... So i don't know but i think the accident with Alexi and the hospital changed them a little bit and they realized they cant continue the "drinking and partying" lifestyle with being careless about the future.

I hope Alexi keeps the beard this time he looks much more older, but he looks younger at the same time... He looks wiser.

Very lame studio updates to be honest, I don't know what's so hard about doing a 4 min video every week or two with some snippets or whatever. Doesn't matter if it's recorded with a handycam and it's not full HD, we'll have the album for that, but something besides Jaska seemingly having drunk a couple beers too much and Alexi and Janne more or less the same. Backstage thingie interviews were pretty cool though.

Not true, really. He held the keys to the website, tho. Don't give the credit to a German guy when it really belongs to a Finnish guy. And it was him who just bored of the whole thing and 'disappeared'. I understand him tho, since we had similar taste about Bodom. But who needs SOB when there's me, and who gives a fuck about a web site that died like five years ago? I've put up like five thousand posts since then which is more than SOB ever had. Is it like SOB is the only source with legit views and info? Nah bra. They have Sleeper as contact now to post every news, and there's not even many active members anymore. I'm sure anyone could get interesting info from the band but the people who have the connections don't have the creativity or interest to ask, and the band itself doesn't care to reveal things anymore, so it's all boiled down to two things: Joonas speculation and Sleeper posting news linked by the band, and of course the guitar covers. There's really nothing else, all we can do is wait for official news. I'm really interested to find out what kind of an album they've come up with after such secrecy.

First lay off the country bullshit. I don't care where each of the members came from (though I am aware), but Zarok wasn't just simply someone holding the site and allowing the rest to do their thing, and it was indeed a big part of it. Yes, Lari and others did a lot, and so did and keeps doing so Stella, but that "ah the lazy german was no big part of it" bullshit is that, bullshit.

And if you really think you even begin to compare to SOB yourself you're way more dellusional than we thought, but your chance to prove us all wong is there for you: take their place, and bring us actual insightful and intteresting interviews with Alexi, extra content and tons of actual info, and not speculation, because SOB was not speculation as you, it was actual true info.
You say zarok and SOB wasn't that much and all it takes is dedication? Go ahead, prove it, after all it's all easy, isn't it?

What I think is really going on:

Spinefarm attempted and partly succeeded in manipulating COB's musical direction.

Alexi has stated all the time he's not going back to the neo-classical stuff and says they were inexperienced in the old days. However, the past year has shown signs of the band starting to enjoy their older, more passionate-sounding music again, and now they've embraced the good aspects of the old style to their new album.

Bodom changed labels because they wanted the label not to interfere with their music in an unpleasant way.

There is now a plan to cultivate the desired aspects of the old-school Bodom material into their current musical taste. This way they can keep their beloved heaviness in the music, while incorporating more wild musical try-out in the mix, and returning to the darker and more atmospheric sound world. This gives them freedom to use the marketing strategy of "returning to the roots" and all that, but only to the extent when they don't have to discard elements they like from the music.

So practically I think whatever's going on it serves everybody...

And I have to admit: I'd rather have an old-schoolish Bodom album dictated by the label, than to have another RRF written spontaneously by Alexi. :lol: My gut feeling is Nuclear Blast was in contact with the band saying "you know, we could support you returning to the more interesting music and artwork", which the band thought was what they needed.

Or we could be less confusing and just say Alexi feels like doing more darker and less dull music again.

The "defined plan to return to the roots" is a marketing strategy. Alexi doesn't want to start doing neo-classical again and he doesn't want to get inexperienced again, he just wants to obtain the best elements of the old Bodom albums to the new material, the plan isn't to write SW pt2, HB pt2 or FTR pt2, the plan is to write a sequel to those, I suppose.

To sum it up, I understand this will be when they grasp the point again, since they forgot what they were all about with HCDR. Each of the old albums are very different, but they share the deeply interesting soundworld and energetic composions as similarity, plus the epic artwork theme - which are to return with this record...

What I find interesting is, RRF was described to have more melodies than Blooddrunk (on a quick count RRF contains 11 distinct melodies, compared to Blooddrunk's 8 based on my view on melodies), yet Blooddrunk sounds more like the old albums as it's darker. This new album is described very dark and more melodic than RRF - so it seems promising on paper.

Seriously dude are you fucking kidding? I do not admire your thought patterns at all. It's like you assume stuff and you convince yourself that it's 100% facts, or you just guess stuff and convince yourself that it's true as well. You also think EVERYTHING has some deep mystical fucking meaning behind it and nothing can just be what it seems.

I mean...''My gut feeling is Nuclear Blast was in contact with the band saying "you know, we could support you returning to the more interesting music and artwork", which the band thought was what they needed''

Do you honestly believe that shit you spewed out or are trying to troll? I really can't tell. You read into everything to much.

First lay off the country bullshit. I don't care where each of the members came from (though I am aware), but Zarok wasn't just simply someone holding the site and allowing the rest to do their thing, and it was indeed a big part of it. Yes, Lari and others did a lot, and so did and keeps doing so Stella, but that "ah the lazy german was no big part of it" bullshit is that, bullshit.

Yes I know he did stuff too. He's my soul brother and he's a pretty intellect individual.

Look, I'm not here to gather actual bits of info - nobody's granting me vip passages and promo albums, unlike them - I'm here to be creative. You've been away for two years so don't underestimate the insight of my posts.

Of course, gathering bits of info on google and making thousands of creative posts are two different things. This forum is for discussion, the front page is for news. Why do people come here and deny the discussion.

I can think whatever I want. It was pure imagination.

Obviously you can think whatever you want, and I have no doubt it's just your imagination. Problem is, you present your imaginations as facts. You are speculating, guessing, and just randomly assuming, but you still manage to write it like it's a bunch of facts.

Like when you wrote ''Bodom changed labels because they wanted the label not to interfere with their music in an unpleasant way.''

You write it as if it's true and everyone knows it, you don't write it like you are supposed to if you're just speculating. Just adding a ''maybe'' before Bodom would have done it. Instead you sound like a know-it-all douche. No offence.

I've said what I felt like saying with my freedom of expression and am not changing it. If you disagree on something you can discuss and debate it. I wish the discussion staid on point, let's not drag anyone into this in person. This is about Bodom, not about Joonas or Krofius or any member.

Its quite boring to read comments about Joonas is shit and stuff after every time he comments something interesting or speculation...
If you don't like him just don't read his comments, there is no need to create a falmewar against Joonas you wont win anyways :p

Guys, why don't you all just relax.
Facts require sources to back your claims. Everything else is either opinions or purely made up. I do not see any sources in Joonas' posts so it is pretty obvious to me that it is just how he sees things. Or how he wants things to be.
Sure, all that speculation can be pretty tiring at times, but you can always just skip it. If you are here for just the news, block every person but Sleeper. Simple as that.

With that said, Joonas, your imagination sure is running wild again.Don't get your hopes up too high for your own sake.

As much as he has the right to write whatever he wants, everyone else has the right to be annoyed by it. Right now there's no real news and no one is discussing any particular topic, so we should just start writing lenghty posts based only on our speculation, guessing and assumptions and not on facts?

No thanks.

As much as he has the right to write whatever he wants, everyone else has the right to be annoyed by it. Right now there's no real news and no one is discussing any particular topic, so we should just start writing lenghty posts based only on our speculation, guessing and assumptions and not on facts?

No thanks.
For as long as their aren't any new songs or samples; yes, it's fine to make assumptions.

Of course you should discuss and voice your opinions. Yes it was only my imagination, but it was my best guess. Sometimes I'm right about some things, but it's up to you whether you can digest it. You should be able to tell when I make a claim and when I make an assumption, just read more carefully.

I suppose this is about the label interfering with the band's musical direction?

I do think Spinefarm laid their hands on it somehow. There could be ten different stages to how much a label interferes with a band's art, 0 being they don't interrupt at all, 1 being they set schedules for a band, and 10 being they organize everything from tours and even interfere with the actual art by dictating the direction the band should take with the music to everything else from stage outfits on. My personal best guess is Spinefarm talked to COB about going more commercial, an outside producer was their idea (this is a fact) and making WIWI the single for the last album was their idea (this is a fact). I guess they pressured Alexi at some point between 2002 to 2012 to take a more American metal sound as opposed to their previous styles. Alexi felt like they needed a change (this is a fact), but it is unclear to me whether going back to the roots in a way is just a new marketing strategy, or exactly what Alexi honestly wants, or they changed labels because Alexi got pissed off about Spinefarm trying to think for them. Probably a bit of everything.

But it's all in the past now. Just bring forth a damn good metal CD now.

Amiksille täytyy aina vääntää rautalangasta.

Yes I know he did stuff too. He's my soul brother and he's a pretty intellect individual.

Look, I'm not here to gather actual bits of info - nobody's granting me vip passages and promo albums, unlike them - I'm here to be creative. You've been away for two years so don't underestimate the insight of my posts.

Of course, gathering bits of info on google and making thousands of creative posts are two different things. This forum is for discussion, the front page is for news. Why do people come here and deny the discussion.

You claimed it wasn't that big a deal and that anybody could do it, and then that we had you here as sort of the next best thing. I say go do what they were doing (which was absolutely amazing) and found your crazy hipothesis on something.

And again, if it's so easy go get all that access they have and bring us all that info, because it was fucking great: true info, contrasted, everything you wanted to know and more. That's not what you give us, so instead of downplaying what they brought and presenting yourself as their "heir" or whatever, either get doing what they did and bring us actual info or at least have the decency to respect their work and keep your speculation as it is, speculation.

And I have not posted here for a while, but that doesn't mean I haven't checked it out.