COB start writing new album

I was very excited for the riffs Janne and Alexi played on the Soundi-video. They weren't like the RRF super-technical wanking riff nonsense and actually had some melodic idea and straight riffs I liked. Now I hope that the soundworld isn't as fucked as it was in RRF. Really looking forward to this one...

Hypocrisy has released a new song from their new album! it's a clear back to the old times song! maybe we are going to hear Arrival Part 2

but I won't be happy if they do arrival part 2...it's selling out by being the same...

Last edited by a moderator:
Fucking greatness that song is.

Except the chorus is too... chorusy.

It's weird... coincidence, or trend... I know Hypocrisy, 69 Eyes, Cradle of Filth, now Bodom are returning to roots with their new shit. I'm glad if bands have realized the boring hammering metal sound is spiritless. That is what each of these bands did with their last album. Another trend or coincidence.

the song itself is really good...but it's just the same thing that was done years ago..that's what disappoints me.. there is nothing new or creative in this album.

and don't get me wrong. I do expect the bands to hold on to what they are known for. but that doesn't mean they should repeat the same thing over and over!

listen to that melody in the song. it's really like I'm listening to Eraser but slower tempo! that's what I don't like.

and on the other hand...look at Greek band Septic Flesh. they did an awesome job in 2008 with Communion and they made it even better in 2011 with The Great Mass.

that's an example of progression within a band...and still they have their own signature sound in the music... I wonder what they're going to do next in 2013

the song itself is really good...but it's just the same thing that was done years ago..that's was disappoints me.. there is nothing new or creative in this album.

and don't get me wrong. I do expect the bands to hold on to what they are known for. but that doesn't mean they should repeat the same thing over and over!

listen to that melody in the song. it's really like I'm listening to Eraser but slower tempo! that's what I don't like.

and on the other hand...look at Greek band Septic Flesh. they did an awesome job in 2008 with Communion and they made it even better in 2011 with The Great Mass.

that's an example of progression within a band...and still they have their own signature sound in the music... I wonder what they're going to do next in 2013

The ''New'' Hypocrisy song is very good in my books. It sounds like a The Arrival & Virus hybrid. But the song isn't really THAT new, it came out more than 5 weeks ago. Last album is my favorite Hypocrisy album. But Peter said about this album:

"This time, I wanted to go back to the basics," says Peter. " felt like we lost it for the last couple of albums. It's straight to the point. It's more HYPOCRISY than ever — the fast, the heavy, the epic. Enjoy!”

I disagree that he lost it the last couple of albums, but I still think the album is going to be really awesome, 2 ½ weeks and we'll see.

The ''New'' Hypocrisy song is very good in my books. It sounds like a The Arrival & Virus hybrid. But the song isn't really THAT new, it came out more than 5 weeks ago. Last album is my favorite Hypocrisy album. But Peter said about this album:

"This time, I wanted to go back to the basics," says Peter. " felt like we lost it for the last couple of albums. It's straight to the point. It's more HYPOCRISY than ever — the fast, the heavy, the epic. Enjoy!”

I disagree that he lost it the last couple of albums, but I still think the album is going to be really awesome, 2 ½ weeks and we'll see.

in order to be Hypocrisy it's not necessary to repeat Slave to the Parasites and Eraser and.. it's about writing a different song that sounds like Hypocrisy.

that's the difference I'm talking about.

Surely I do enjoy listening to End of Disclosures.... but I don't get that fresh vibe when I hear a newly released album.it's like a song from Arrival that wasn't released till today...

anyway it's too soon to judge we have to wait and see...

I totally enjoy the new Hypocrisy songs... But I'm totally stoked for Bodom news, why the hell aren't they giving out more infos?

I really can't comprehend this back to the roots thing. in the first place, if someone claims that he wants to go back to the roots, he has admitted the he has lost the roots. and the second thing is that this back to the roots is an absolute commercial trick. that happened to many bands and they turned out to be epic failures...

I just want bodom to make something completely new but with the blood of COB running in it's veins...

Yes and no. When you've done so many albums and have gone "the full circle" so to speak, you may want to try your hand at some "earlier style" because after so much time it may feel fresh and cool again to you. To be honest as far as it's not a forced return to the roots I'm happy with it. But if it's forced then not, because nothing good (actually good, great) will come out of it.

Some other albums were postponed in the past, or the release date first mentioned was over-optimistic.

I think that was more us+Blabbermouth, they never really changed the release dates they themselves said often, besides the whole Aleksander leaves a while before AYDY and so on.

What comes to the album... I think they're intending to regain the good elements of the old albums, while keeping their preferred elements of the new albums. Don't be silly and think going "back to the roots" means they'll start doing neo-classical stuff and some other weird things again. If they tried to totally mimic the old albums that would just be stupid.

It's the erotic melodies, perilous riffs and dark atmosphere I want back from the old albums, as well as the Lake & Reaper mythology.

See? You're capable of voicing opinions without making them sound like the ultimate truth! I applaud you, and if that were your usual style it'd garner you so many more trust and avoid quite a bit of flaming ;)

And very agreed on the "Don't be silly...would just be stupid" part, agreed, yet from some other posts we all thought that was all you wanted and that's why you got some of the criticism. Here's one to you making your posts in a more similar vibe like this one :kickass:

I'd rather take the Captain Cunt and the monkey (Shakma) mythlology. Are You Dead Yet? is their best and deepest album to date. I hear so many deep mystical atmospheric things in it. Anyone who disagrees with me must be either deaf or emotionally disabled. I know this because I'm good at sensing things and vibes out of things. Also, debating this is futile because I know I'm right.

GFTO troll. Or, if that's what you actually belive, get help.

Now if COB have been paying ANY attention to what goes on in their fanzine, they should know the sentence fans have been dreaming of hearing for the last decade is "return to the roots", but none have believed it to ever happen, as Alexi has defended his new material by talking down the old material on occasions. Suddenly Alexi like came to his senses and all. I've been saying all along for thousands of times they should become darker and more atmospheric again and take back the Lake theme to the artwork, well I'm just glad and excited if it's finally happening.

I'd advise you to keep your hopes not so high just in case, because while I (and I think most of us) belive the next album will indeed be sort of "older style", I would expect it more in the HCD style than the HB/FTR vibe. Also, I really don't think Alexi defended the last albums just because of them being the last; when you're a musician and you write songs, they tend to feel to you like the best you've written. Otherwise you don't really go forward with them.

I really really don't want to be offensive, but to me Septic Flesh have some of the most uninspired, repetitive and boring music ever besides 4-5 songs. I remember watching them as opening act to Vader around 2009-2010 and a couple of songs would be great and get me super excited (to the point of downloading their discography the next day to check them out) and the others bore me to death and yawn for Vader to come on stage. I listened to them in the album (and have kept up to date with them) but to me they feel like a "one trick pony" and boring besides the five "hits". Again, don't want to be offensive, but Septic Flesh is the last band I'd think about when talking about inventive and innovation.

Yes and no. When you've done so many albums and have gone "the full circle" so to speak, you may want to try your hand at some "earlier style" because after so much time it may feel fresh and cool again to you. To be honest as far as it's not a forced return to the roots I'm happy with it. But if it's forced then not, because nothing good (actually good, great) will come out of it.

I don't consider music as a circle. because there is always something different to try. Yes it would feel good to try what you did 10 years ago because you're in the same mood. but making a replica of those albums is just not appealing to me. 2 or 3 songs are OK but what's the point of getting excited about an album that has no new form of expression or artistic approach to what's going inside of them NOW!

I really really don't want to be offensive, but to me Septic Flesh have some of the most uninspired, repetitive and boring music ever besides 4-5 songs. I remember watching them as opening act to Vader around 2009-2010 and a couple of songs would be great and get me super excited (to the point of downloading their discography the next day to check them out) and the others bore me to death and yawn for Vader to come on stage. I listened to them in the album (and have kept up to date with them) but to me they feel like a "one trick pony" and boring besides the five "hits". Again, don't want to be offensive, but Septic Flesh is the last band I'd think about when talking about inventive and innovation.

there is no problem with knowing your idea no matter how much I disagree.

first, when a piece of music appeals to someone so much it does not mean it will have the same effect of the other audience.for instance, I never ever enjoyed Dream Theater's music in terms of expressionism. Yet they are indeed one of the most creative bands of the last two decades. I just can't relate to their laboratory approach.

second, I agree with you that in Pre-Communion Era Septic Flesh lacked originality and thoughtful direction. but since Communion they have found out they need an identity specific to their own musical direction. that's why Communion and The Great Mass are their most appreciated works.

I've heard people saying Septic Flesh has nothing new to say because symphonic metal is done before. they are indeed fully mistaken. There is no music like Septic flesh around.

lots of people in my country were offended by their song called Persepolis. But I just love it. it feels like I went through a time machine to more than 2000 years ago and I'm watching the flames burning Apadana. not only this song but also many of them sound like you're taken back to ancient times because of their strength in composing.

if you don't like them because they are not guitar riff-oriented, well then that's your taste and I agree about that. but it's the orchestra that plays the main part in their music so I would say it's quite to be expected.

Christos said that in Communion first he wrote the metal music and then added the orchestra. but in The Great Mass he wrote the classical composition first. so it made a huge difference.

it's all a matter of taste but just in case.

here is the list of the songs of The Great Mass and Communion. you found them all to be boring?

1. The Vampire From Nazareth
2. A Great Mass of Death
3. Pyramid God
4. Five-Pointed Star
5. Oceans of Grey
6. The Undead Keep Dreaming
7. Rising
8. Apocalypse
9. Mad Architect
10. Therianthropy

1. Lovecraft's Death
2. Anubis
3. Communion
4. Babel's Gate
5. We the Gods
6. Sunlight Moonlight
7. Persepolis
8. Sangreal
9. Narcissus

See? You're capable of voicing opinions without making them sound like the ultimate truth! I applaud you, and if that were your usual style it'd garner you so many more trust and avoid quite a bit of flaming ;)

And very agreed on the "Don't be silly...would just be stupid" part, agreed, yet from some other posts we all thought that was all you wanted and that's why you got some of the criticism. Here's one to you making your posts in a more similar vibe like this one :kickass:

Yeah well, I think it would be great to have the best properties of the old albums back, and combine some doom metal, melodic black metal and some industrial sick keyboard stuff to them. So like Hatebreeder or Follow the Reaper at its best, but more heaviness, darkness and experimental soundworlds. If you ask me to paint the sky. But those two albums at their best were perfection, there's some songs that are just sexually unparalleled in twisted ways, music full of hatred and beauty...

Agreed there (again, see?), a mix of HB/FTR's best (melodies, keys and leads) and HCD/AYDY's best (better riffing and some quite epic song theme) would make for an absolutely beast of an album. Imagine a combination of Downfall intro, SNBN verses, KTS melodies&leads, TL&S heaviness and HCD epicness. I'd better not, don't want to get my hopes exceedingly high :)

I don't consider music as a circle. because there is always something different to try. Yes it would feel good to try what you did 10 years ago because you're in the same mood. but making a replica of those albums is just not appealing to me. 2 or 3 songs are OK but what's the point of getting excited about an album that has no new form of expression or artistic approach to what's going inside of them NOW!

I didn't mean a replica of their old albums, I really doubt they will do that, more like music of the same style (as in more simple base and elaborate melody HB/FTR style and less complex riffing and not so much melodies as the later stuff). Nobody wants an exact copy, and it'd take a very lazy and washed up musician to do so, I trust them not to do so ;)

On Septic Flesh and so

I agree music has a different effect on everyone, and I completely understand there may be people (like you) who appreciate what they've done (as there's people that appreciates grindcore beyond a couple hard songs at a live gig or people that likes super underground ghetto recorded demos), but although I haven't listened to them for a while besides Anubis and a couple more (not liking something will do that to you) I can tell you I didn't like more than 10% from those albums, and only in small doses, it's just not my style of music. I'll give the last album a spin just in case though.

...why
just
why...

STOP THE FRIGGING SUPERLONG POSTS! :rofl:

You can just skip it, but maybe see what's about before? Repetitive long posts are boring (although you can still skip them), but I'm pretty sure what we were discussing hasn't been very talked about.

Why? I enjoy reading it :) The forum is alive!

Indeed sir.

Nightfall Over the Abyss...

Victims of the Abyss...

Tales from the Unholy Lake...

Rain of Knives...

The Storming Lake...

The Night of Murder...

Twisted Salvations...

Night of Lost Souls...

Pitch Black Salvation...

Darkened Souls...

Drowned Souls...