COB start writing new album

What do you mean serious? You mean the song isn't sincere? Or you mean they're joking somehow? Newsflash: The whole album is serious. You could say that all the covers aren't serious though.

And no you can't promise anything because you can't possibly KNOW what song it is except for basing it on your subjective opinions and speculations.

Thanks for saying what I was thinking too.

I guess I'm the only one that's not totally blown away by this preview? Don't get me wrong, I like it a lot. It sounds like an AYDY melody, and based on previews alone i'd say that the shovel preview is much better than this. Only 10 seconds though, no point in trying to draw conclusions.

I tried to do better than Google and translate song descriptions, but original text is written really figuratively and I quickly noticed that my English is failing me big time with this piece of text. :Spin:

1. Goes straight to the point without intro. Angry Bodom style neo-thrash but compared to couple of the latest albums surprisingly melodic. Slick solo.
2. Start with spoken sample after which ton of bricks fall down. Heavy as a stone house and not any smoother. Song includes blast beat part and might be most death metalish – or at least angriest – Bodom in long time. One of the three best songs on the album.
3. Guitar melodies having hit potential. Guitar and keyboard are weirdly in-harmonic, that makes one think South of Heaven by Slayer (though it doesn't have keyboards). Vocals are without melody and expect the odd vibe song doesn't leave any recollections after first spin. Solos are pure gold as always.
4. Very angry song. Same kind of weird vibe as in previous one, but scales creating guitar/keyboard contrast meet sweetly in unisono point.
5. Harrowing, yanking lead workout, technical and orchestral hits that are familiar from 90s Bodom.
6. First song of the album having a riff that makes you want to have one man circle pit. Fastest song of the album, whiplaster-neckbreaker riffs and synth-staccato/orchestral hits having Warheart clarity. One of the three best songs on the album.
7. Weird Bodom western, time spent in States starts to make it appearance in the Alexi’s music. In Bodom framework song can be called almost ballad, but instead of sweet moments song is better fitted to running over cats with a road roller. Atmosphere is something like Metallica meets playing skills meets anxiety.
8. Good riff and angry song, spreads like flu but hurts more. Longest lead alternations. It’s weird that song maker lives most of the time in the sunny California but still makes their angriest album.
9. Starts with traditional 666 riff and briskness of the song is close to thrash. And we also got Jau Jau. One of the three best songs on the album, maybe best one.
10. Weird Humppa (humppa=Finnish music style) Punk song that limps weirdly. Verses pull and solos are like from other different tempo song. No recollection after first spin.

And hi CoCOB, Sleeper & Joonas :wave:

With only the chorus I really can't fit it with any of the song descriptions we have. I don't have the impression that the song is very aggressive.

To be honest, it was a decent melody writing for a chorus compared to HCDR AYDY and even RRF (cry of the nihilist chorus was way better)
yet the rythmic are bodom attitude but not the melody. it lacks the "hook"
mixing and production sounds like RRF.

To be honest, it was a decent melody writing for a chorus compared to HCDR AYDY and even RRF (cry of the nihilist chorus was way better)

I get that feeling too. The rhythm sounds like a blast from the past with a modern COB melody attached.

Honestly though, my main quirp with COB's modern albums is infact the rhythm writing... so if the album is like that 10 seconds I aint gonna be mad

I guess I'm the only one that's not totally blown away by this preview? Don't get me wrong, I like it a lot. It sounds like an AYDY melody, and based on previews alone i'd say that the shovel preview is much better than this. Only 10 seconds though, no point in trying to draw conclusions.

I think at this point people (myself included) are just thirsting for any assemblance of pre-AYDY Bodom. I agree with you that from the brief preview it feels like a AYDY/BD/RRF era song. Again, this is a preview not a whole song so we can't draw any conclusions just yet. Still excited because unlike most, I still appreciate the 'modern' Bodom.

That being said, I want more of this. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
This is either the opening track or the Bodom track, my best conclusion. This is a hook, thus I don't understand the criticism. It sounds something like the great Token of Time from Ensiferum. The vibe is somehow similar to Bodom After Midnight (also for the kill, kill, kill, quite a coincidence), but it sounds mostly like the melodic part of Children Of Decadence.

This is either the opening track or the Bodom track, my best conclusion. This is a hook, thus I don't understand the criticism. It sounds something like the great Token of Time from Ensiferum. The vibe is somehow similar to Bodom After Midnight (also for the kill, kill, kill, quite a coincidence), but it sounds mostly like the melodic part of Children Of Decadence.

I wasn't completely sure what track it was, but you've totally convinced me with the "kill, kill, kill" part. That's just weird...

Also, the new track is called "Bodom Blue Moon (The Second Coming)", right? Maybe that's what "The Second Coming" signifies...jesus that's cool.

I like it, but I hope this is not the best the album has to offer, feels a bit too repetitive for me to be Bodom. I understand they muted the different parts in order not to give the full song away, but still, 2 min and so much repetition it's not what I expected.

On the other hand, as I said before, one song is not a fair picture of the album as WIWI was not, and this still sounds good, which brings me to...

OH MY FUCKING GOD THE TONE! I am seriously in love with the overall sound of the album. Guitars sound strong yet sharp, keys loud and nice, drums in your face and the vocals, well that was very cool to hear. I am way more pumped for the overall sound than for the actual bit of music, but man was that good to hear! Can't wait for the rest, and to listen to the full song and see how it actually is, because I remember that with SK, having only the melodic snippets, it took me about a month to get used to the other heavier parts, my mind didn't fit them in the song after listening only to the melodies :lol:

OMG :D
Everytime when thes "Interviewers" comes to speak im like "get the fuck out of the Song" :D

Sounds very good!

I hear you there, much better review if they just shut the fuck up. Also, I feel they just took the ones who loved it the most, as shown by the extremely skeptical one sleeper posted about later.

Hey at about 1:00 into that video, you can hear the first part of what Alexi and Janne played together in the Soundi clip playing really quietly under the guy talking. It's the Soundi song!

Good catch!

Some comments on twitter from a music writer, re Halo of Blood

"Weird, a gothed-up ballad on the new Bodom album.

I find myself trying harder than I should to hear the hooks on Bodom's 'Halo of Blood'. Hooks should grab you, not the other way around.

Overall Bodom's new LP is the same old fun from Alexi, some tracks stick more than others. "Bodom Blue Moon" & "All Twisted" are keepers."

I'm going to take that (as well as the ones in the video) with a pinch of salt, those may as well be the two extremes: in the video the ones who loved it (because why would NB put the ones who didn't like it so much in the video?) and the twitter one one of those "old bodom lovers" or maybe more into another kind of music (maybe more BD fan, dunno). We've had (as always) all kinds of reviews, but most seem to be positive, so I'll keep that.

I get the bodom after midnight vibe with the kill kill kill and the overall sound, but FUCK NO does that sound like children of decadence!

I wasn't completely sure what track it was, but you've totally convinced me with the "kill, kill, kill" part. That's just weird...

Also, the new track is called "Bodom Blue Moon (The Second Coming)", right? Maybe that's what "The Second Coming" signifies...jesus that's cool.

Yeah, the blue moon is another metaphor. There's the graphic idea of a blue moon over Bodom that is teeming with the mystery and horror, but the saying derives from the second full moon of a calendar month, it just refers to COB returning to their past epicness.

The chorus part sounds a lot like a mix of AYDY and RRF to me, but the riff afterwards sounds very fresh to me. I also agree with childrenofCOB, the tone is sweet.

It sounds like RRF production without the bad sounding parts of the production. It's crisp and clear like it should be, not weird & muddy like on RRF.

New member, longtime lurker. I just want to say I can't wait for this album! Hate Crew for life!

I like it, but I hope this is not the best the album has to offer, feels a bit too repetitive for me to be Bodom. I understand they muted the different parts in order not to give the full song away, but still, 2 min and so much repetition it's not what I expected.

Haha, you know, when the sound is ''un-muted'' they are just replaying the same 10second sample like 6 times except for the last one which has the group shout :) So yeah, it does sound repetitive lol :D

I didn't notice at first either so don't go to hard on yourself.

It sounds like RRF production without the bad sounding parts of the production. It's crisp and clear like it should be, not weird & muddy like on RRF.
The vocal recording on RRF drove me crazy. It was my number one complaint with that album. They seem to have fixed it. :kickass:

And yes, the sample is looped a few times.

I didn't like it, it's too slow for me, that's what I thought about Angels Don't Kill and the other slower songs when I heard them for the first time though, they grew on me later, maybe it's the same with this one.

I had heard not long ago that COB was writing a new album but as I haven't liked any of their newer stuff too much I kind of forgot and didn't care.

Well yesterday I was driving home and the XM was tuned into Liquid Metal and I noticed the song that was playing sounded more like something from Europe, which was strange to me as that station very rarely plays something not from the US. So when I hit the "info" button it reads "Childrem of Bodom-Halo of Blood". I was like "oh, did their new album come out already?". Later that night I searched online for info and not only did I find it wasn't out yet, but there wasn't even a single or song out on Youtube or anywhere. I thought that the song that was on the radio would be available to hear on Youtube as if it was on the radio then it should have been some sort of single release.

I caught the song like halfway through so I dunno if they played it as a one time preview or if they play it regularly or what? I don't even know how to explain how the song sounded since I caught it halfway through and it was so random and sudden. I remember barely hearing any keyboard and I THINK it was sort of thrashy. Anyway, has anybody here heard the title track on XM like I did, or anywhere else for that matter. I am wondering if maybe they played the song when they weren't supposed to or something since it seems the album is still some big unheard mystery on the internet?