COB start writing new album

First spin opinions:

1. Waste of Skin: Song with plenty of layers that should bring something new for the next 10 spins or so. Didn't really sound like a good choice for the opener, but still above average.

2. Halo of Blood: For some reason sounds even heavier after Waste of Skin. I always missed a bit of melody, but now I actually can see where Alexi is coming from with it being the song what Bodom (should) stand for right now. Not my favourite track, but well up there.

3. Scream For Silence: That intro was awesome! Great song that, while doesn't have the typical COB tone, still grasps me and I love it.

4. Transference: Weakest song so far. It is a good song, but a bit simple for what it is. Yet it's an easily accesable track, so I get why this is the single for the album. Just a tad dissapointed that they will play this song live instead of others.

5. Bodom Blue Moon: A more modern sounding song (RRF/BD). Pretty catchy chorus, but I feel this is a song that requires a lot more listening to before really understanding the song. After 1 spin definitely not as great as I want it to be.

6. Your Days Are Numbered: That melody somehow sounds familiar, but I have no idea where it is from. Somewhat more oldschool. I like it, but also I'm a bit uncertain. It's weird, but I have the hardest time giving an opinion on this song, so I'll hold of until after a few more spins.

7. Dead Man's Hand On You: Really different, but I quite like it. I expected a bit more from the solo, maybe a bit more Sinergy-esque. But this'll do. They said they might want to try to see if they can play this song live. But those clean vocals, no way that Alexi can pull those of live.

8. Damage Beyond Repair: An improved BD/RRF style song. Good. That scream was the best in COB history. Maybe.

9. All Twisted: This is the perfect song to show what COB is right now. And again a scream that is up there. Damn, the vocals are good on this album. Great song. Top 3 of the album so far. Maybe the best.

10. One Bottle And A Knee Deep: And another song that is different. In a good way though. It will take more spins to really appreciate the song, but so far it is pretty awesome and catchy.

11. Crazy Nights (Loudness cover): Great. One of the best serious covers they ever did.

Opinion after one spin: There are a little bit too many 'I like' songs instead of 'I love' songs, but it is obvious that this album needs more spins to get there. But it already showed its potential and damn that is some great potential.

7.5/10, I think is a fair score for now. Very likely to rise after some time.

there's no way to get the white t-shirt if you're from europe or the US ?

SCREAM FOR SILENCE IS MY FAVORITE NO MATTER WHAT

Anyone know where the TV/Movie quotes are from? The one after SFS sounds like Joffrey Baratheon from Game of Thrones.

Waste Of Skin - Twin Peaks, Season One, Episode Two

Scream For Silence - Children of the Corn

All Twisted - Natural Born Killers

Regarding Jeff's solo - it seems he played one for the Loudness cover using Alexi's guitar (or the sound quality was so bad I misread it, anyway there was a whammy bar and the tone was virtually the same). The solo's good, although I'd like moar.
ok so I fucked up, the solo was this way in the original version and it's kinda similar to Waters style, he'll probably rock the Roxette cover.

These are my opinions on the album after several listens:

Waste of Skin - Cool song, I love the verse, but this is one song where there's one part that just ruins it for me. The part at 1:20, I did not see that coming at all and it took this song from an awesome song to an ok song. The rest is awesome though.

Halo of Blood - Maybe my favorite on the album. It's got a dark feeling to it and Alexi's vocals sound really good in it too.

Scream for Silence - Another song that was awesome, but was ruined for me by one part. No matter how hard I try I just cannot like that chorus, and when it changes key in the end it just makes me wanna puke. I love the rest of it though so I'm kinda sad, and I feel like an asshole cuz everyone else loves it :lol:

Transference - Yeah it's simple, but it's still pretty cool. The interlude is awesome.

Bodom Blue Moon - Awesome intro and even better solo. When I heard the sample of the main riff I didn't think much of it, but in context with the rest of the song it's cool. Still trying to like that post chorus though because otherwise it's an awesome song.

The Days are Numbered - This one definitely took a few listens, but I loved the part at :55 from the second I heard. It instantly got stuck in my head all day long. From here on I loved the rest of the album, I definitely prefer the second half.

Dead Man's Hand on You - On the first listen it wasn't all I had hoped for, and seemed a bit jumpy at spots. After a few listens it all came together though and I really like it, cool solo too.

Damaged Beyond Repair - Takes a bit of time to really get going, but damn it is good. Very cool song, and it's good to hear the unison guitar/keyboard solos again.

All Twisted - Some people have said they hear Hate Me in here, but I don't really hear it at all, it does kinda sound like AYDY with FTR though so I could see why. The melody at 1:40 sounds like pirateish or something to me, but I like it.

One Bottle and a Knee Deep - Gotta say, I'm impressed by this song. By the title and it being the last track I though it was gunna be a song they just threw in, but wow was I wrong. Great song to choose for an ending, has that "coming towards the end" feel to it. I love that melody in the chorus, it's just so cool. Also I love how they say "Goodbye" before the solo starts, then it goes to the "credits" that show what Bodom is made of, awesome solos and great melodies. Has a really wintery feel to it.

Overall I'm very happy with this album, it's really different from their other stuff but not so much that it's unrecognizable. I gave it around a 6/10 the first listen, but after a few now I'm thinking at least 8 or 9/10. Great Job!

Also, I'm waiting on Joonas' analysis, I'm honestly really interested in what he's gotten from these songs.

i dont know if you already know, but the entire album is on youtube.

Last edited by a moderator:
How did you guys hear the cover song? The download of the album I got didn't come with it.

It's on youtube since yesterday... ;)

I listened to the album six times until now and I really like it - way better than Blooddrunk and RRF imo! The "easiest" two songs are for me "The Days Are Numbered" and "Damaged Beyond Repair" - they will still grow for sure too, but they are already now my favourites.
But the part, that I like the most on the whole album is still this awesome melody at the beginning of Waste Of Skin - I loved it immediately, when I heard it first on the track-by-track-review. I'm just a bit disappointed, that it isn't again at the end of the song...but still great song, too. Weird intro, especially as opener, but for sure one of my favourites, too.
The only song, I don't like THAT much until now, is All Twisted - the chorus is nice, but the rest somehow medicore in my ears.
Bodom Blue Moon is different than I expected but still great - kind of Sixpounder part 2. ;)
Dead Man's Hand On You was really "new" at the beginning - you weren't really used to hear something like that on a COB album.^^ But I think it's great, also the solo!
Scream For Silence needs still some more trys - for me it's like multiple song ideas put together into one.^^ But I like the different parts. :D
Halo Of Blood still is nice and I generally like, that the album is again harder, faster and darker. I wasn't really that excited with the last two albums, but now they seem to return more to the roots - at least to me it sounds more like "classic COB".
Transference is one of the weakest songs - I didn't like it THAT much since the beginning, but it's nice and the chorus can hunt you all day. ;)
One Bottle And A Knee Deep is an awesome end to the album - I love the chorus and the solo at the end is crazy! :) The best last song on a COB album since Hate Crew Deathroll imo.

Overall I really like it very much until now, but I won't judge it before I heard it at least 20 times or so...there is still so much to discover with every time you listen to it. I'm really glad, that they reduced the thrash parts again a little bit - I like Thrash Metal in general, but I just think, it doesn't fit to COB most of the time. That's also the reason, why Blooddrunk is my least favourite album of them. These classic Bodom melodies like at the beginning of Waste Of Skin are one of the main reasons, why COB are one of my favourite bands, so I'm glad they returned again more.
The sound is also great and I like how it fits to the album cover. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Favourite track right now: One bottle. Biggest surprise too.
Least favourite track: Transference.
Biggest disappointment: Dead man. I like it but expected a lot more.

The main riff in Scream For Silence (verse) kinda reminds me of Slayer's Season in the Abyss! Is it only me? Love it, sick song!

Holy shit, the album sounds awesome! Just listened to it once, so not much of it stuck to the head, but I can tell I liked almost all songs. I try not to listen to it too much before I get the album so it will still sound new then.

It's on youtube since yesterday... ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP1gSHUlkbg

I listened to the album six times until now and I really like it - way better than Blooddrunk and RRF imo! The "easiest" two songs are for me "The Days Are Numbered" and "Damaged Beyond Repair" - they will still grow for sure too, but they are already now my favourites.
But the part, that I like the most on the whole album is still this awesome melody at the beginning of Waste Of Skin - I loved it immediately, when I heard it first on the track-by-track-review. I'm just a bit disappointed, that it isn't again at the end of the song...but still great song, too. Weird intro, especially as opener, but for sure one of my favourites, too.
The only song, I don't like THAT much until now, is All Twisted - the chorus is nice, but the rest somehow medicore in my ears.
Bodom Blue Moon is different than I expected but still great - kind of Sixpounder part 2. ;)
Dead Man's Hand On You was really "new" at the beginning - you weren't really used to hear something like that on a COB album.^^ But I think it's great, also the solo!
Scream For Silence needs still some more trys - for me it's like multiple song ideas put together into one.^^ But I like the different parts. :D
Halo Of Blood still is nice and I generally like, that the album is again harder, faster and darker. I wasn't really that excited with the last two albums, but now they seem to return more to the roots - at least to me it sounds more like "classic COB".
Transference is one of the weakest songs - I didn't like it THAT much since the beginning, but it's nice and the chorus can hunt you all day. ;)
One Bottle And A Knee Deep is an awesome end to the album - I love the chorus and the solo at the end is crazy! :) The best last song on a COB album since Hate Crew Deathroll imo.

Overall I really like it very much until now, but I won't judge it before I heard it at least 20 times or so...there is still so much to discover with every time you listen to it. I'm really glad, that they reduced the thrash parts again a little bit - I like Thrash Metal in general, but I just think, it doesn't fit to COB most of the time. That's also the reason, why Blooddrunk is my least favourite album of them. These classic Bodom melodies like at the beginning of Waste Of Skin are one of the main reasons, why COB are one of my favourite bands, so I'm glad they returned again more.
The sound is also great and I like how it fits to the album cover. ;)

Yeah, it's a great album! I gotta disagree with you about Damaged Beyond Repair though, that's probably my favourite song on the album right now. It's really hard for me to pick favourites, but if someone held a gun to my head and asked me for an answer I'd probably give them that song.

BBM has the best solo on the album for me, I think. My favourite songs would definitely be BBM, Damaged, All Twisted, One Bottle and SFS. Hands down one of COB's best albums in their discography so far. ^_^