COB start writing new album

I never understood it either, I have no idea how he could possibly mute strings or play clean at all but oh well :lol: And after playing all these years to not even hurt his wrist either, I don't get it.

Laiho is better than Marty from a technical standpoint, there's no doubt about that. But, I would say Broderick is still better technically than both. Songwriting wise Alexi is better though so my vote goes for Bodom.

E: Speaking of Megadeth, the new album apparently sucks

Side note : I find Broderick incredibly boring to watch live for some reason...he just seems so rigid compared to Marty. That being said, you're right that he is a technical beast.

Side note : I find Broderick incredibly boring to watch live for some reason...he just seems so rigid compared to Marty. That being said, you're right that he is a technical beast.

Yeah, 99% of the technical gods are boring as Hell to watch. They only got to that level of playing by focusing hard and I guess they just can't break that focus even in a live situation

Wrong, at some point the technicality transitions into muscle memory I think, which opens up possibilities to submerge more into musical side (improvise if you want). Can't call Gilbert, Satriani or even Malmsteen too mechanical, the emotions are there.
upd: we want our new forum-skin!

Better as in harder to play? Then yes, Bodom wins. Better as in more enjoyable? Then it depends on who you ask. It's much like saying that blue is a better color than red.

Not necessarily, but as in more interesting and "standouts" in the songs, but can't really argue with you on that one. My reply was mostly directed at the "OMFG without Megadeth and so on Alexi would still be selling dictionaries over the phone and none of their music would've been written also Megateth's better because I say so" post(s).

Yeah, 99% of the technical gods are boring as Hell to watch. They only got to that level of playing by focusing hard and I guess they just can't break that focus even in a live situation

Eh..I never get bored watching Vai, Satch, or Gilbert.....just saying.

Okay to clarify I am not talking about guys like Vai, Malmsteen, Gilbert or any others you said, I mean people like these.

Notice I said 99%, not 100

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel you.

I think what makes the ones I mentioned so enjoyable to watch is that it's not just shred metal. There is a good groove to what they are playing, although it may be fast and technical, the songs stick with you.

Don't get me wrong, MAB is good at what he does, I just don't enjoy watching or listening to it.

Halo of Blood reached #2 on Finnish charts. Pity not #1 this time, some pop-singers album was more popular.
http://www.ifpi.fi/tilastot/virallinen-lista/albumit/2013/24

Now that I've listened to the album quite a bit, I think it's a really strong one. I like all the songs, and it seems impossible to pick just one or two favourites. At the moment I would perhaps say Your Days Are Numbered, Bodom Blue Moon, Damaged Beyond Repair and One Bottle And A Knee Deep hit the hardest, but it seems to change quite often.

via Nuclear Blast

CHILDREN OF BODOM - hit German charts / exclusive signing session at Metalfest!
CHILDREN OF BODOM - hit German charts ...

Finnish metal superstars CHILDREN OF BODOM have stormed the German media control charts with their new masterpiece, »Halo Of Blood«.
»Halo Of Blood« hit the charts on position #18 in its first week. Congratulation, boys!

The band commented:
"Thanks Germany for this! We are very happy to hear this and to see people supporting. Metal is alive! Thank you!
Looking forward to Metalfest Loreley. We’ll surely celebrate with some nice German beers!"

CHILDREN OF BODOM will not only play the German exclusive festival show at METALFEST Loreley (June 20. – 22.) but also do an exclusive signing session.
There you are able to grab a free and limited CHILDREN OF BODOM poster (while stock lasts), so be there!"

Confirmed signing times:
Metalfest Loreley: June 20, 2013
Signing Session : 19:00 - 19:45 h
Stage time: 22:45 – 0:00 h

This guy promised not to care about a next COB record after the horrendous RRF, but here you go. He's a bit off some details, but his overall vision is very real and experienced.

It's true they've done soul searching and returned on right rails, but there's still some epic sense of purpose missing from many of the songs, but it's a positive and fairly impressive album.

Last edited by a moderator:
Megadeth has been pure shit since Rust in Peace. (ok the next two weren't so bad) COB has also that "5 good albums"-dilemma. But as far as for guitar playing Marty is an incredibly musical and unique player, and much less technical than Alexi.
Alexi is also creative and has very good stuff, but you can hear his influences straight from his playing. Marty build up his own stuff.
And I dont know what the fuck happened with Dave Mustaines riffs!? I heard Super Collider and vomited my hopes for good Megadeth.
In 2013 I can say:

COB> Megadeth
Alexi< Marty
Megadeth have never been 'pure shit' yes, they dabbled into more radio-rock friendly music but after Risk every release has been good to awesome.
The World Needs a Hero - Awesome comeback
The System Has Failed - Solid, but too much filler
United Abominations - Solid, but too much filler
Endgame - Amazing
TH1RT3EN - Solid, but too much filler
Super Collider - If you're not closed minded about it not being Rust In Peace part II it's actually not that bad. There are a few good songs but a lot of filler, that's the only problem.

And if you really think that Alexi is a more technical player, listen to Cacophony.

What the fucking what? Megadeth have some classics, cool, but what does that have to do with them having better songwriting? The Trooper is a classic, and the songwriting is boring. Master Of Puppets it's a classic, yet it's mainly 4 riffs repeated over and over again for 8 minutes.
Same aplies to Megadeth. Tornado Of Souls is great, but give me an album that can stand side by side with e.g. FTR and not pale in comparison, as in have no fillers. Nope, there is none.
And don't get me started on the soloing. Marty Friedman is an incredible guitar player, and has done great things (most of them actually outside Megadeth), but the soloing on pretty much any Bodom album is, at the least, level with Megadeth's, be it with Friedman or with Broderick or with whoever you want.

I never said song-writing is an indication of making it a classic lol. I honestly find MOP to be a pretty shitty and boring song. Obviously, I'm a fan of Megadeth not Metallica. But please, let's not start that debate :lol:
But yes, I honestly believe every single Megadeth album from Peace Sells to Countdown can stand up to any Bodom album. Even Endgame could, maybe Killing is my business, but on that album it was just so raw and the song writing wasn't as strong yet.
And if you don't get what I mean by songwriting I mean making everything related through inervals and music theory. Pretty much CoB's song writing skill went down after HCDR but yes they did make a return with HOB. Don't get me wrong I like every Bodom album in between (except for BD) but they really did start losing their touch after HCDR.
Now on solos, yes the solos from the first three COB albums were on par with Megadeth's, but even now they're much more boring then back in the day. Alexi used to have much more technical solos before. I'm still not taking back what I said about Friedman being the more technical player, he's EXTREMELY clean and puts so much feeling and still keeps the technicality in his solos. Broderick, is an extremely clean player. He can play any Megadeth solo and make it sound like the record. Yes, he is a robot but he's one damn good robot. His solos are much much more technical than Alexi's, but unlike Marty lack feeling and are less memorable.
Also is it me or does he not do full sweeps anymore either? I'm pretty sure he just does like 3-4 string sweeps now.
But seriously I'm not trying to argue who the better band is, it's all opinion. :headbang:

Go as deep into music theory as you want, but it's not a numbers game rather a sound game, and Megadeth's songs, good as some may be, have by no means better songwriting than COB's. It's not as extreme as MOP's, but their structure and riff usage is very simple very often, and very few albums have no fillers, whereas for Bodom no album really has (Lobodomy should've probably never made it to the album, being that they themselves disliked it so much they "made a pact to never ever play it live because it was weird", and maybe the case can be made too for DWEDFN, but other than that...). Even AYDY which has been bashed to death has pretty darn good songs: IYWPPFW, Next In Line and Bastards Of Bodom are great songs, and to this day still puzzles me why don't they play them (outside IYWPPFW because maybe it's too much for Alexi to do both simultaneously, but then again the play SKO).

As far as the solos go, they may, at least some of them, not be as technical anymore, but tbh I couldn't care less as long as they fit the song and sound good. E.g., ADK's pre-solo, the slow one Alexi and Janne play together right before the actual solo, is an outstanding solo, because it fits perfectly, it has the almighty "feelign", it suits extremely well the song, and it's overall great, yet technicality is nowhere to be found. Same goes to ETID's solo or IYF's solo: technicality nowhere to be found really, yet I wouldn't want anybody else to go all technical on it because I'm pretty sure it wouldn't turn out better. With that I mean to say: Alexi's chops are right up there with Friedman's (maybe not with Broderick's, but he spent too much time locked up either in the gym or in a basement with Jeff Loomis guitar-fapping while the rest of the cool kids partied and so on), and he's proved it enough (first three albums plus some other solos, and 3 outstanding Sinergy albums), so hats of for trying something new and not sticking over and over again with the 5-6 strings e-minor sweeps and blues-pentatonic variations and getting outside of his "let's play super fast solos "comfort zone" (don't know if you've ever checked it out, but he did a guest solo on Pain's Just Think Again, extremely slow, but incredibly cool). We could argue over and over, but besides their technical levels being on par, determining which solos are better is sort of not so objective at this point. It's not as if we were e.g. comparing Kerry King's solos with Steve Vai's.

Go as deep into music theory as you want, but it's not a numbers game rather a sound game, and Megadeth's songs, good as some may be, have by no means better songwriting than COB's. It's not as extreme as MOP's, but their structure and riff usage is very simple very often, and very few albums have no fillers, whereas for Bodom no album really has (Lobodomy should've probably never made it to the album, being that they themselves disliked it so much they "made a pact to never ever play it live because it was weird", and maybe the case can be made too for DWEDFN, but other than that...). Even AYDY which has been bashed to death has pretty darn good songs: IYWPPFW, Next In Line and Bastards Of Bodom are great songs, and to this day still puzzles me why don't they play them (outside IYWPPFW because maybe it's too much for Alexi to do both simultaneously, but then again the play SKO).

As far as the solos go, they may, at least some of them, not be as technical anymore, but tbh I couldn't care less as long as they fit the song and sound good. E.g., ADK's pre-solo, the slow one Alexi and Janne play together right before the actual solo, is an outstanding solo, because it fits perfectly, it has the almighty "feelign", it suits extremely well the song, and it's overall great, yet technicality is nowhere to be found. Same goes to ETID's solo or IYF's solo: technicality nowhere to be found really, yet I wouldn't want anybody else to go all technical on it because I'm pretty sure it wouldn't turn out better. With that I mean to say: Alexi's chops are right up there with Friedman's (maybe not with Broderick's, but he spent too much time locked up either in the gym or in a basement with Jeff Loomis guitar-fapping while the rest of the cool kids partied and so on), and he's proved it enough (first three albums plus some other solos, and 3 outstanding Sinergy albums), so hats of for trying something new and not sticking over and over again with the 5-6 strings e-minor sweeps and blues-pentatonic variations and getting outside of his "let's play super fast solos "comfort zone" (don't know if you've ever checked it out, but he did a guest solo on Pain's Just Think Again, extremely slow, but incredibly cool). We could argue over and over, but besides their technical levels being on par, determining which solos are better is sort of not so objective at this point. It's not as if we were e.g. comparing Kerry King's solos with Steve Vai's.

Well I honestly think the guitar work on Rust In Peace and Endgame are pretty much on par with the guitrar work on most of Bodom's albums. And I think HCDR, AYDY, BD, and RRF all had at least SOME filler. But now this argument is just coming to opinions. So it's best that it ends.