Compositional mixtape

giphy.gif

Sorry fam

Watchtower- Asylum

The first time I heard this song I was literally breathless and shaking by the end. Had no idea that music could sound like this. 10/10.

Metallica- One

Great song but yeah why is this here? 0/10.

Mercyful Fate- The Oath

A perfect MF song and those vocal melodies are incredibly infectious. 10/10.

Leprous- Contaminate Me

“I’m unique, I’m not like all the other prog metal bands”, the band. For a brief moment around the time of their second album I thought there was something there, but they just turned to boring would-be-an-insult-to-djent-to-call-djenty chug-prog. The lyricless vocal part came in at the worst time, following a basic bitch syncopation over an even more basic melody. 3/10. Oh fuck three more minutes, rated too soon, this slow part is horrible. 2/10.

Dark Age- Rock Revelation

It’s the worst song on probably my favorite EP of all time. Absolute mastery of USPM, soaring vocals, leads popping up everywhere, and the songwriting is still more involved than the typical filler track on almost any other band in this style. Tales of Medusa might have been a slightly better song to pick, but maybe not since I forgot about that ending which is the closest thing to Hall of the Mountain King I know of. Bumping this to a perfect score for fit to the theme, 10/10.

Asked to replace Metallica with Disturbed when I read the no real words part, guess Carpe didn't read my message oh well. Will rate later

Watchtower- Asylum - 8
Metallica- One - 10-2=8
Mercyful Fate- The Oath - 7
Leprous- Contaminate Me - 9 intense
Dark Age- Rock Revelation - 8.5

Reactions: Baroque
Leprous- Contaminate Me

“I’m unique, I’m not like all the other prog metal bands”, the band.

i don't understand this sentiment at all. Isn't being an individual and expressing oneself however they like part of what metal is? This is the song that took Leprous from an ok band to a very good band to my ears, because it was so different from anything I'd heard. Now after repeated listens I can hear influences from Muse, and some obscure extreme prog, so it doesn't sound as new as before. But I still enjoy it for what it is, a unique composition of musical styles, with quality vocal work and intensity.

I'm not saying their newer stuff is great, but this album and Bilateral were pretty damn on point

Leprous- Contaminate Me - 9 intense

This guy gets it.

Just messaged the scrote.

"Hey, they like want you to rate this because they're insatiable hose beasts who need constant games to feel alive."

Sincerely, your friendly game master. No homo.

i don't understand this sentiment at all. Isn't being an individual and expressing oneself however they like part of what metal is? This is the song that took Leprous from an ok band to a very good band to my ears, because it was so different from anything I'd heard. Now after repeated listens I can hear influences from Muse, and some obscure extreme prog, so it doesn't sound as new as before. But I still enjoy it for what it is, a unique composition of musical styles, with quality vocal work and intensity.

I'm not saying their newer stuff is great, but this album and Bilateral were pretty damn on point

I was making a reference to the kind of thing where goths or "alt" people dye their hair, get unusual piercings, etcetc and make a big deal about how different they are when they still fit into a kind of scene themselves. That's Leprous for me. They don't sound like Dream Theater or "all the other" prog metal bands, they sound more like alt rock with a vague stench of djent. They emote too heavily to get past the "prog is emotionless" stereotype, they downplay their proggishness by having no interesting riffs whatsoever, they try too fucking hard at defying convention and just end up sounding like another shitty thing to appeal to who-knows-what.

Reactions: CiG
I personally have nothing wrong with djent or modern prog or even nu metal (some of those guitar riffs you mentioned) as concepts, as long as they are done artfully and not just following a trend. That's what this song is. They're not just trying to be the next djent band, or modern rock band, they're trying to be something new and experimental. I appreciate the fuck out of that.

Watchtower - Asylum
Deleted video.
10/10

Metallica - One/10

Mercyful Fate - The Oath
zoned out tbh
5/10

Leprous - Contaminate me
zoned out tbh
6/10

Dark Age - Rock Revelation
Worst shit ever. What fucking idiot would pick this. Youtube is complete ass too. Stopped after 0.000000001 seconds.
0/10