Confessions of an Opeth Fan...Ghost Reveries and Faceculture interview...

OI MIKE!

Just in case you look over this thread again. I really have to ask you, man, about something that's been bugging me for ages.

At the start of Hours of Wealth. What did you guys do with the clean electric? It sounds really odd, like I just can't position it in the stereo image... Did you guys double that part up, with 2 guitars playing different things? Did you just digitally double the part up but delay it a few ms? Is one side slightly out of phase with the other? It just spins my ears out whenever I hear it. My stereo system is basically just two large studio monitor speakers pointing straight at my head, so it really messes with me, haha.

When the acoustic part kicks in everything gets 'normal' again.

Mikael Åkerfeldt said:
The vocals done in one take and I have a certain connection with this song and if you don't get "it" I won't even bother trying to hype it.

One take?

You did the vocals for that song in one take?

One Goddamn take?!?!?!

:OMG:

Ok, more than ever, I believe:

You're a fucking genius, man :worship: :worship: :worship:

Sorry if that post sounds stalker-ish, but that's one of the most soulful vocals I ever heard, and the fact that you got it in one take makes me respect you even more than I did in the first place. It's not fair, you're so fucking talented.... :lol:

Opeth = better than everybody else. End.

P.S. Hours Of Wealth and Isolation Years = better than Harvest!!!
And The Grand Conjuration is fucking awesome. Rhythmically, I think it's Opeth's most accomplished song! :)

What is it about Opeth that elicite such passionate opinions? The critics of this band cannot stand them; they cannot even give them credit where it is most obviously due.

On the other hand, the Opeth fan is the most loyal......and by the looks of this message board, some of the most tolerant. I am pleased to join you here. I have been reading the board for a couple weeks.

PEAC EOUT!!!

Moonlapse said:
:lol: You have already earned your place here.
Hahhahahaha! :lol:
PEAC EOUT!

BTW: Waz, you're getting really popular man. Everyone remember that it was I who initially imitated him in outside threads!

I am a relative Opeth newbie. Only started getting into them this Summer (thanks to a great friend who let me borrow BWP, Still Life, and D1). And I was blown away. After SOTU, and meeting them in person, I couldn't believe how such down-to-earth nice folks could make such powerful, epic music.

And then came Ghost Reveries. I had so much catching up to do with Opeth's past, I really wasn't thinking about the album. But when it came out and I played it for the first time, I was speechless. It was so masterfully put together....every note was perfectly placed and expertly played. From the last solo on Ghost of Perdition (JAW Droppingly amazing) to Mikael's always-improving vocals (evident on Hours of Wealth), to Mendez's almost-funky bass lines throughout the album, it took me literally months to find words to describe the album. Without question, it topped my albums list for this year, and I still listen to it constantly, picking new things up.

And for the record, I absolutely LOVE the sense of evil surrounding "The Grand Conjuration...such a cool vibe. And, "Isolation Years" literally reduced me to tears the first time I heard it. So, "Ghost Reveries" is a towering accomplishment in every sense; a testament to the fact that Opeth somehow find new ways to out-do themselves with each release. I can't wait for the next one.

Liquid Diamonds said:
Opeth = better than everybody else. End.

P.S. Hours Of Wealth and Isolation Years = better than Harvest!!!
And The Grand Conjuration is fucking awesome. Rhythmically, I think it's Opeth's most accomplished song! :)

lol what an ass licker :lol:

Funny how in the beginning, people were all for the original poster, and the GR lovers were out of sight - and since Mikael's post, things got a bit overturned.

Frosties said:
Funny how in the beginning, people were all for the original poster, and the GR lovers were out of site - and since Mikael's post, things got a bit overturned.

yeah, them ass lickers :Spin:
well all of a sudden everyone became a GR lover

Liquid Diamonds said:
Oh, I'm sorry for expressing my opinion, that must make me an 'ass-licker' as you so eloquently put it :Smug:

read what's written above your post and you will understand what I meant. If not.....too bad. <3

Frosties said:
Funny how in the beginning, people were all for the original poster, and the GR lovers were out of sight - and since Mikael's post, things got a bit overturned.

hunh? many posts were pro GR...including mine

Frosties said:
LOL, I didn't turn at all. I still think it's "not their worst album". Maybe that could mean "is their best".... think about it. I don't think Opeth has a "best" album, but instead a bunch of awesome ones. Deliverance is my favorite and will be until a new album comes out! (It still might be after that too!)