Confessions of an Opeth Fan...Ghost Reveries and Faceculture interview...

^^^ I like you Tubbs, because you give Deliverance credit that I don't really see anyone else give it around here. Deliverance blows my mind!!!
I change my opinion on GR regularly, but I still think it's better than anything by 99.99% of other artists out there.

Personally I wouldnt place GR as one of my very favorite Opeth albums, but I still have great respect for Mikael and the band. I don't agree with the threadstarter about Isolation Years; I think it's one of Opeth's best songs, and is truly beautiful. The only flaw I can find with the album is that TGC doesn't stack up to other "epic" Opeth songs (e.g. 10 or more minutes). I think while Hours of Wealth may not be one of Opeth's best, it still has some very pleasant instrumentation an Mike's vocals are definitely well done. I used to dislike R/HF but now it's grown on me, it's a pretty decent song. And the reason why I have great respect for the band nowadays is the first three songs, especially Ghost of Perdtion. Whatever you have to say about the rest of the album, you can't deny the amazing beauty and power of that song. It has a kind of epic grandeur that Opeth have touched on their whole career from time to time but was never quite so fully realized. All in all, it's stupid to drag on GR because even if you like MAYH a lot better or whatever, there are so many horrible artists out there today... I'm glad a band like Opeth is still around to make such inspiring music.

I dont think you do yourself any favors by trying to rank Opeth's releases. They are each very different, yet all contribute to form an equally unique and impressive catalog. There's really no sense in splitting hairs....after all, we are talking about the difference between exceptional and great.

Liquid Diamonds said:
^^^ I like you Tubbs, because you give Deliverance credit that I don't really see anyone else give it around here. Deliverance blows my mind!!!
I change my opinion on GR regularly, but I still think it's better than anything by 99.99% of other artists out there.

Deliverance rocks. I love its brutality.

-fuck, why am I always late to this kind of threads? DAMN!!!!

it's cool to see Mikael to the accreditation he noob! though

And i still think GR is their best , or the one i enjoy the most

PEAC EOUT!

Originally Posted by in limbow

Personally I wouldnt place GR as one of my very favorite Opeth albums, but I still have great respect for Mikael and the band. I don't agree with the threadstarter about Isolation Years; I think it's one of Opeth's best songs, and is truly beautiful. The only flaw I can find with the album is that TGC doesn't stack up to other "epic" Opeth songs (e.g. 10 or more minutes). I think while Hours of Wealth may not be one of Opeth's best, it still has some very pleasant instrumentation an Mike's vocals are definitely well done. I used to dislike R/HF but now it's grown on me, it's a pretty decent song. And the reason why I have great respect for the band nowadays is the first three songs, especially Ghost of Perdtion. Whatever you have to say about the rest of the album, you can't deny the amazing beauty and power of that song. It has a kind of epic grandeur that Opeth have touched on their whole career from time to time but was never quite so fully realized. All in all, it's stupid to drag on GR because even if you like MAYH a lot better or whatever, there are so many horrible artists out there today... I'm glad a band like Opeth is still around to make such inspiring music.

I totally agree even tough GR isn't one of the best, in my opinion, it's still an opeth album, and it should get the respect it deserves.

tjames, I agree with you only for one thing : GR is way different from past Opeth albums, so it is normal that some fans dislike it, but you must not let your tastes interfere with your judgment. Honestly, would it make any sense that a band that performed great material for more then ten years lose all his talents like that, and for the (absurd) reason that they rehearsed their songs ? In my opinion, absolutely not. The thing is that they've followed a path you just don't like.I personally liked all albums Opeth released so far, including GR and Damnation, even if they are quite different in styles, and I still see in their songs and lyrics all the talent they demonstrated with earlier Orchid and MAYH.

Opeth have NEVER disappointed me , no matter what direction their music goes in . Ghost Reveries is possibly the greatest thing I have ever heard in my life . They have not sold out - they have evolved and I salute them for that :headbang: . A band that doesn't try new things...bores the shit out of me . Certain other metal bands could learn a few things from them...

OPETH :worship:

Mikael , this amazing album IS appreciated by those of us with open minds .

first, im suprised mike replied,
he must have felt very strongly to reply,
gop is great but my personal fav stuff is leper affinity, drapery, moor etc
i love the new stuff but love the older stuff more and i think theres a reason in general.
there is 7 'old' albums and 1 'new' album. the band are takin a new direction and GR is the first step in that new direction.
keep up the good work and imo, still well worthy of best band in the world:headbang:

I look at the first 3 as the 'Old' albums, don't know about everyone else.
Great to see Mike reply, shame it had to be in such a shitty thread.

I agree GR is not as good as previous Opeth albums, but their worst? No, that has to be Damnation.
But then Deliverance is my favourite Opeth album, their most straight-forward DM inspired release. So what the fuck would I know?

Stormwatch said:
I agree GR is not as good as previous Opeth albums, but their worst? No, that has to be Damnation.
But then Deliverance is my favourite Opeth album, their most straight-forward DM inspired release. So what the fuck would I know?

Ehm... Damnation aint the worst album. You guys really have to get into the
music.
Buy the Lamentations-DVD and watch Opeth play the mellow tracks
of Damnation. Notice the details, the effort and dedication. Appreciate their
great variation! OK, you may not like the album, but to call an album "the worst"
is not right in my opinion.
This is not just any random band with common songs - this is your favourite
band
! (If it isn't, what are you doing on the forum?) - Show some respect for
the artists for Christ's sake. I mean everyone, not just you Stormwatch!

What Mikael said in this thread is something I've always believed about most musicians. There really is no such thing as selling out, because excepts for the real pop stars who are "groomed", most bands play what they want. People seem to forget that GR was writte BEFORE Roadrunner Records was in the picture, which means GR is really Opeth's vision and nobody else. If you don't like the direction Opeth is heading in, then as Mikael said it's time to move on. There's plenty of music in the world, and there's bound to be something else you enjoy.

Bands that have the ability to put out 8 records over a span of time SHOULD sound different. I wouldn't want to hear 8 identical albums, as that would be too redundant. Opeth has changed over the years, but to me undeniably is still Opeth, and that's all that counts.