Controversial non-metal opinions

Incubus-ST.jpg

QFT

Great fucking album

I'm only keeping this open because it's been really quiet in here lately. I actually deleted this thread the last time Ozzman tried it. Frankly I don't really see any value in this sort of shit. The only discussion that's gone on in here has been the retarded exchange that Southern Trendkill initiated (seriously, popularity = quality? :zombie:). Everything else has pretty much "I think such and such sucks", followed by "OMG I can't believe you think that". Fucking awesome.

I approve of all the above-mentioned statements.:lol:

One controversial opinion I strongly believe in that has nothing to do with personal taste is that trip-hop is a completely unnescessary genre.

The specifics of trip-hop overlap sufficiently with so many other genres that all the artists can be just as accurately described as something else.

This is before I go ahead and say the majority of the big players in trip-hop are shite, Amon Tobin being just about the only exception I can think of.

All this makes it that much more annoying that one of the bands I'm involved with keeps trying to classify themselves as the afformentioned redundant genre.

Portishead and Massive Attack are absolutely amazing :

anyways.

I agree. I also agree that trip-hop is a redundant genre. Electronic music has grown so much since the early nineties when it became popular that Portishead & Massive Attack are the only artists that I really associate with trip-hop anymore. Who else was there? Sneaker Pimps? lol. I always thought Amon Tobin was electronica/breakbeat.

I always thought Amon Tobin was electronica/breakbeat.

Yeah I'd primarily define him as that as well, though he delves into what can be considered trip-hop now and again.

I wouldn't describe it as psychedelic hip-hop, although the name would suggest this would be apt. It generally has very little in common with almost any style of hip-hop.
wikipedia has it pretty well summed up - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trip-hop

well yeah good point, the "trip" part of the name would refer to the certain feelings and sounds given off from the music, such as a very relaxing vibe coupled with smooth and pulsating electronic sounds,

Yes, I like this song.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d27Hj8Gg9o&feature=PlayList&p=F065523782700AAB&index=0&playnext=1[/ame]

We used to play 18 & life "back in the day". Still not one of my picks for great pop metal bands.