Controversial non-metal opinions

maybe, so the rummor goes, but how many standouts did he have ? Crazy Train, great riff, does it stand up to 5150 on a skill or creative level ? not even close, the rest is a matter of taste, I dont discriminate against either. Its all a matter of perception in how anybody can be appreaciated. Me, I prefer Criss Olivas, songs, riffs and solos to Randys. Who was better ? What does it matter ? How can they be compared ?

My opinion on it is probably largely based in the fact that Van Halen as a band and the kind of music they play simply is not a great engine to show the wealth of skill EVH has. The swinging hard rock style is severely limiting in many, many areas. I can certainly say he exceeded his own field, and if that's your field of taste than he is textbook and someone to learn from no matter what. But the fact remains that their stalwart brand of rock has kept us from hearing what else he may be able to do for 30 years.

I hate Pink Floyd. I've listened to a range of their albums and I hate pretty much everything I've heard from them. Some of their more pretentious and stupid fans say, 'you just don't get them!' What's there to get? I find their music empty and meaningless; not to mention boring and overdone. In truth I hate most prog rock to begin with, but Pink Floyd stand out because at least other prog rock bands are interesting (if stupid!) whilst Pink Floyd are so unremarkable and unexceptional in every sense.

100% Agree, except I have had every fan of their's tell me "Dude, you just gotta be stoned and then it all makes sense". Well then that means it is shitty as far as I'm concerned.

I hate Pink Floyd. I've listened to a range of their albums and I hate pretty much everything I've heard from them. Some of their more pretentious and stupid fans say, 'you just don't get them!' What's there to get? I find their music empty and meaningless; not to mention boring and overdone. In truth I hate most prog rock to begin with, but Pink Floyd stand out because at least other prog rock bands are interesting (if stupid!) whilst Pink Floyd are so unremarkable and unexceptional in every sense.

100% Agree, except I have had every fan of their's tell me "Dude, you just gotta be stoned and then it all makes sense". Well then that means it is shitty as far as I'm concerned.

You do not need to be stoned to enjoy Floyd. Their music requires patience, but it is one of the most rewarding experiences ever. I can understand it if someone doesn't like them, but to call them unremarkable and unexceptional only exhibits an ignorance of how influential and important they were.

Pink Floyd have magnificent lyrics and moods, and had a very original production style for their time. Music-wise, they were merely decent.

Their compositions make incredible use of dynamic range and highly original and often complex, jazzy song structures. I'm not sure that they're just decent on a music level.

Their compositions make incredible use of dynamic range and highly original and often complex, jazzy song structures. I'm not sure that they're just decent on a music level.

You obviously don't know shit about jazz than, seeing as they don't have a very strong jazz sound. I am sure they digged jazz and employed it, but not enough for you to make that claim. They used "dynamic" compositions, but were pretty boring and pretentious. I'll avoid them.

highly original and often complex, jazzy song structures.

Yeah I don't know about that. A lot of their music has a pretty straightforward rock structure, and the more experimental stuff seems to be more of a "sound effects feast" than a really carefully thought-out musical structure. How about some examples?

You'd have to be deaf not to notice the tremendous jazzy influence on The Dark Side of the Moon, in the presentation of the music itself, the unusual meters and time signatures and the heavily improvised, free-form songs such as "The Great Gig in the Sky." Interestingly enough, the band's name is also derived from jazz musicians.

I should also take some time to mention that they were one of the first rock bands to employ concrete music as part of their albums, something that is now extremely commonplace.

Lol there is not at all a "tremendous" jazz influence on TDSOTM, it's one of their most pop based albums, and 'The Great Gig in the Sky' is a deliberately composed song based on a central piano melody which is more classically based if anything. Just because there's the occasional horn doesn't make it jazz. Stop talking shit.

yeah I totally agree. TDSOTM has a much larger classical influence than jazz, especially Piano-Wise. Also the odd time signatures in floyd dont really have jazz feel to them. they feel more like they were organically created from something they felt, or from classical music.

Wow, all the last posts baffled me.... excluding challenges and panzers who got theirs off first....

EVH, was in his element. That style of music did not limit him, in fact he was amounst the most creative in it and excluding prog was as creative as any other common straight forward forms of metal. I even think you could say Eddie created that style of rock and even helped kick start the metal resurgence. As far as soloing, we heard all he could muster, hes no overwelming flat picker, hes a hammer-on guy and is primitive by todays standard of tappers but he kicked open that door. What he has is a hell of a way to play the guitar. I've heard many more jaw dropping dexterity, glass breakers that cant cop a groove or drop of sincere emotion to save their ass. What Eddie was, was a groove monster, riff master, that wrote music that made people feel good. In addition to that he changed how guitar players approached solos, and took whammy anticts to a different level than what Hendrix did. Hes also largely responsible for the Floyd Rose and ALL double locking tremelo systems.

Pink Floyd - One shouldnt let bluesy saxophone solos cloud their vision into thinking Floyds progressions and chord structure had much to do with jazz, then to mention that their groove had NOTHING to do with jazz. At the same time I wouldnt question that Floyd has a mark of influence on later jazz along the lines of some of the more "smooth jazz". In fact one place Floyd influence can be heard on jazz fusion that leans toward early smooth jazz, either by direct influence or coincidence is Jean Luc Pontys "Cosmic Messenger"... Ponty obviously had other influences and broader scope but lots of stuff on Cosmic Messenger just screams Floyd.

One doesnt need to be stoned to take a trip on Floyd... they simply need some internal depth to their mind and soul, granted a quality lacking in many "pretentious" metalheads.......

Boring ? Dull ? Yep, I suppose if your the kind that needs to have your hand squeezed in a vice to realize your breathing, then I suppose that could be an accurate statement.

Floyd takes patience ? I didnt need any, I got it on the first listen. Some of The Wall, Animals ? well that might be true here.

Floyds music complex ? I suppose theres many ways to be complex, I'd consider other early proggers like ELP, Rush and Tull more complex. It was Floyds application, their "formula" and maybe what some are calling dynamics that made their music stand out so well, and if you were born yesterday might not realize their music stands out, but guess what.... there is that history thing again, the amount of people that know who they are is no coincidence.

BTW - "over-rated" and "love" are two words older children throw around, yet take seriously.... like they once did with their previous toys.

Relax, enjoy, be happy

EVH, was in his element. That style of music did not limit him, in fact he was amounst the most creative in it

errrrrrrrr yeah this is pretty much what I said. But being "in it" is still pretty limiting, and personally, while I do find some leads he has to be enthralling ('Humans Being' for example), I simply don't find that form of rock to often contain much depth or emotion so a lot of VH's music rings hollow for me. If I hadn't heard it, I can see myself taking something from his *technique* but not his *content* - which is ironic since that's now the legacy of your average shredder but I don't think of EVH as your average shredder. He just happens to play in one of my least favorite bands of all time, that's all.

And people need to dig deeper into Floyd tbqh. Not all Floyd is good, but most Floyd is great, and if you think 'Dark Side' is something wait until you come around to the other stuff. Of course if you haven't really gotten into them yet it seems kind of doubtful you will, but you should at least give them some more chances.

I have a hard time to appreciate Miles Davis "bitches brew", an album that is considered by many as one of the best ever. Not just in jazz but overall, every genre.

I like other jazz but Im not very knowledgable of the genre. Its not that the album is bad its just that there is nothing about it that I remember after hearing it. No melodies, no rythms and no specific feeling either. To me its just "there" when I listen to it and then goes away the moment the music stops.

Opeth is the best band on the planet currently.

They can wipe their a** holes with 98% of all bands regardless of genre.

Opeth is more a band that plays music and are beyond classification.

Because classifying their sounds and music with any 1 genre is a major disrespect to Opeth and the amount of pride, time, effort they put into their art.

Because classifying their sounds and music with any 1 genre is a major disrespect to Opeth and the amount of pride, time, effort they put into their art.

Oh really?:rolleyes:

While not bad at all I think to many people rate Opeth way to high. I've been saying this before in the metal thread and I still think their latest stuff is way supperior to the copy/paste type song structures that filled "morningrise" (a record many praise as one of their best).

Furthermore they may be hard to categorize as any one kind of metal but they are for sure metal of some kind and shouldnt be in the non-metal section.

Just give it a year or two...