Controversial non-metal opinions

I never liked either band at all. Weak, lame and inauthentic imo.

I dont think I'd say that about GnR upon their breakthrough. It might be tired today but was fresh by comparision in ? '89 ?. "Weak, lame, inauthentic" just did not apply to their music. Good call for a few of the personalities though

I remember seeing the clip for "Sweet Child O' Mine" for the first time and thinking they looked and sounded like every other LA hard rock band but with a really fucking annoying vocalist.

I remember seeing the clip for "Sweet Child O' Mine" for the first time and thinking they looked and sounded like every other LA hard rock band but with a really fucking annoying vocalist.
Nah; Axl Rose is cool.

Some of my opinions:
Hip hop sucks PERIOD.
The Beatles are actually pretty good.
Dave Grohl used to be awesome, until he formed Foo Fighters.
Bloodhound Gang make good music.

I wouldnt say there was a drastic difference, in music, (I dont and didnt do MTV stuff) but there was a difference. Perhaps you wouldnt have noticed, if you were a hip hopper back then it all probably sounded the same to you as hip hop does to me. I think Axl is an ass clown but I did like his voice, he had one particular annoying trait but otherwise he deliverd more grit without the girlish voice that had become so prevelent. I dont know how to explain it but some how they stood out as different from the A typical pop metal band and I believe media sources and others noticed this too. No matter it was just radio music to me, I bought very few pop metal tapes and GnR was not one of them... my girlfriend had that one... lol. I still think Welcome to the Jungle kicked ass but its tired thanks to radio.

So by the origional comparision
18 and Life - I'll Remember You - A-typical pop metal tunes
Sweet Child of Mine - Welcome to the Jungle - different

GNR certainly aren't an average hard rock band. Not so sure I'd call them great, but they did have a few fantastic songs which make them notable to say the least.

I wouldnt say there was a drastic difference, in music, (I dont and didnt do MTV stuff) but there was a difference. Perhaps you wouldnt have noticed, if you were a hip hopper back then it all probably sounded the same to you as hip hop does to me. I think Axl is an ass clown but I did like his voice, he had one particular annoying trait but otherwise he deliverd more grit without the girlish voice that had become so prevelent. I dont know how to explain it but some how they stood out as different from the A typical pop metal band and I believe media sources and others noticed this too. No matter it was just radio music to me, I bought very few pop metal tapes and GnR was not one of them... my girlfriend had that one... lol. I still think Welcome to the Jungle kicked ass but its tired thanks to radio.

So by the origional comparision
18 and Life - I'll Remember You - A-typical pop metal tunes
Sweet Child of Mine - Welcome to the Jungle - different

lol I wasn't into hip-hop then. By 89 I was into thrash metal big time. GnR just sounded like lame hard rock that had been done much better by the classic bands to me.

Thats it right there, they were somewhat like the old hardrock bands as opposed to the pop metal sound that was so common, yet there was a difference, most likely generational having many more influences one being pop metal of the 80's. Being more into popular music than Thrash I put Sweet Child in the same catagory as Stairway and Dead or Alive, songs that just hit the high mark in their destiny to stand out from the typical "hit" song. More epic than just another song, perfectly written songs that would have people always wanting one more listen. All songs that became anthems of their era. 18 and Life came close, Im sure it meant alot to many turning 18 around that time like Alices "18" and "Schools Out" did in my time but it was still too typical of most of the other music that had been around for years before.

I hate Pink Floyd. I've listened to a range of their albums and I hate pretty much everything I've heard from them. Some of their more pretentious and stupid fans say, 'you just don't get them!' What's there to get? I find their music empty and meaningless; not to mention boring and overdone. In truth I hate most prog rock to begin with, but Pink Floyd stand out because at least other prog rock bands are interesting (if stupid!) whilst Pink Floyd are so unremarkable and unexceptional in every sense.

Wow ! All that pent up hate over music......... whatcha gonna do when something serious confronts you ?

:lol:
must be a punker

Nah; Axl Rose is cool.

Some of my opinions:
Hip hop sucks PERIOD.
The Beatles are actually pretty good.
Dave Grohl used to be awesome, until he formed Foo Fighters.
Bloodhound Gang make good music.

Guns n' Roses are cool; Axl Rose is a fucking idiot.

The Beatles are good, of course. That doesn't change the fact that they're overrated and many bands that were influenced by them were far better.

Ed Van Halen is massively over-rated.

All a matter of how you conceive his "rating". Anyone that was around when he hit the scene and on through the 80's I have never seen "over-rate" him. They all know who he is and what he did. Still today hes probably in the top 20 percent skill level of guitarists. Few have matched him in creative riffs, doubtfully any will match his sales or reach and touch the volumn of people he did with his guitar and a smile. Times have changed, history has not.

All a matter of how you conceive his "rating". Anyone that was around when he hit the scene and on through the 80's I have never seen "over-rate" him. They all know who he is and what he did. Still today hes probably in the top 20 percent skill level of guitarists. Few have matched him in creative riffs, doubtfully any will match his sales or reach and touch the volumn of people he did with his guitar and a smile. Times have changed, history has not.

well, I wasnt around then, but I find the majority of people Ive spoken to now over-rate him. I like Van Halen, & Im not saying hes a bad guitarist, I just personally have never found his playing to be as jaw dropping as everyone seems to think.

I could tell you werent around, you want to take your favorite current shredder and everyone needs to match them or they are "over-rated", regardless their appeal, their acomplishments, consideration of personal preferences, anything

Just exactly what the fuck is "over-rated" in the first place. Sounds like teeny bopper girl clik bitching snearing behind peoples backs in the hall bullshit. :lol:

People are more fimiliar with him, so what? theres a reason for it. Take Yngwie, far more dexterity skilled than Eddie, also very important for what he brought to the table, easily out "shredded" by many today, but how many are really fimiliar with his music ? For the most part the guy cant write a song to save his ass. He's had fleeting moments of glory in that department but he can tear up a guitar neck... over... and over... and over... and over... and over... again. So its all a matter of perception and understanding why value is placed. Page is another, nearly laughable today, but he was the shit in the early 70's. Elvis stole the hearts of a generation, had a great voice, did it with a bunch of basically cheezy love ballades, good looks and odd hip action so what? He's still Elvis, still important, still delivered something to the table.

I'd totally agree for the most part Nirvana sucked, but guess what ? They brought something of importance to many to the table.