Controversial non-metal opinions

I don't even like the genre-labeling of "country." It implies this whiny, poppy shit music that clutters the mainstream radio stations of today. When I hear "country" I think of shit like Kenny Chesney and Toby Keith.

16 Horsepower and Johnny Cash transcend simple genre labeling. The easiest thing to say is folk, but they tap into a darkness that is hard to define.

Also, David Eugene Edwards' (vocalist from 16 Horsepower) new band, Wovenhand, has a brand new album out called The Threshing Floor. I bought it on Amazon but haven't received it yet. I'll post what I think when I receive it.

I don't even like the genre-labeling of "country." It implies this whiny, poppy shit music that clutters the mainstream radio stations of today. When I hear "country" I think of shit like Kenny Chesney and Toby Keith.

Im not totally certain what you are saying here with mention of Chesney and Keith ?

Seems country is always changing and has some diversity and always has. There was some not so good stuff in all decades that I remember. I tune in from time to time and still find alot of it quite clever and with great musical arrangements. Seems most of them have quite abit of rock in them, nearly southern rock, but in a way I dont think its a bad thing because there isnt any place else to find that kind of sound in new music today. Alot of it is fun easy feeling music with a good attitude about livin. I also appreaciate many of the political aspects of some songs because Im sick of the gumby attitudes in this country.

Country.... I've never really listened to country. Hank Williams, Johnny Cash... those are the only country artists in my collection. You know what? I've just never had anybody to help me along and get me into some country artists. I like country because it tends to be organic, even more organic than rock music in general.

What I can say is that many of my favorite records of all-time are absolutely dripping in country influence. This is how I know that I like country even though I've never heard a single country artist that more than barely scratchdes my fancy. Here are a few tracks from a few of my all-time favorite recods. Now tell me this ain't some country!

This one here sounds like it could be a Hank Williams song. Neil ahs a bunch of country-styled albums that are all-time faves of mine:

One of these days I'm going to have to find some real country to listen to. Too bad I'm pickier than all Hell.

Last edited by a moderator:
real country would most likely be bluegrass but after that there really is no "real" counrty, its always been influenced but the fad in other music of the times. Most of the older stuff is way too hookie for me, off pitch twangy singing, you would probably like being a Young and Dylan fan. I still enjoy the major classics but the middle of the road songs were quite middle of the road.

As far as country influenced rock I alway liked some of the stuff that came out of the mid-west for some reason but that is from refined musicians.

I'd argue you are not fussy enough, seeming to like the most base of music forms and skill levels. ;) to each his own

stuff like this from Firefall, most people must have heard this Cinderella at some point, this is a crap homemade of the band now "old" and I cant find an origional

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RPoMAhf:rofl:g&feature=related[/ame]

later in their 70's career they did a bunch of pasty pop oriented crap same as the Eagles did but this same album contained this song Mexico which had some groove or feeling I only seem to find in the mid-west bands, where they moved farther away from their country roots. I always loved this song, great feel in the guitar work, again a later live jam vid. (that fails to start at the beginning of the song)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNQ9VmS4XnQ&feature=related[/ame]

Well I'm not aware of Yngwie doing more than a few good compositions in his life so I dont enjoy his music much... what I have heard anyhow.

Oh, and btw, all I meant by "real country" is some music by actual country artists. All the "country" I listen to is country-rock or at least music performed by rock artists (in GG's case, punk rock).

there is enough country radio stations around just tune in, in many peoples mind metal is country too, a fair amount of metalheads at least old school metalheads live in the rural areas

Im not totally certain what you are saying here with mention of Chesney and Keith ?

I just meant that "country," in this age of mainstream radio and music video, is most often interpreted by the masses as being acts like Chesney and Keith. I don't want great acts like 16 Horsepower and Johnny Cash associated with that kind of genre labeling, so I was just making a point of how they don't really fit the contemporary standards of "country" music (16 Horsepower especially).

well heres some old country that today many claim was real country and whats now isnt. I dont really get it myself, I only see it as changing by way of evolution like all other styles.

This guys voice along with Johnny Cashes, Neil Young and Bob Dylans voice drove me nuts when I was young.

Heres country legend Hank sounding quite twangy with a quite silly tune to boot

I'll take Allen Jackson over that anyday but Hank did have a few good credible songs

this is one of the first country songs that caught my interestin the 90's when bands like nirvana and smashing pumkins sent me running from heavy rock radio, I just thought it was quite cleaver
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMxio_lrybM&feature=related[/ame]

I posted this before but really Dixie Dregs was responsible in the mid 70's for my first appreaciation of the country groove

Then there was "New Counrty", Ponty in the mid 70's, the studio version is much tigher, clearer and effective than this live one

Tough one and I disagree really. I think MJ was far more influential and probably has more songs I like, however Prince has some kick arse material as well. I saw this on tv the other night for the first time in years, fuck it's great: