EARTH CRISIS

Brett - K A L I S I A

Dreaded Moderator
Feb 26, 2004
France
www.towerstudio.net
Please post all questions, comments & anything related to this artist here.

Breed The Killers

earth_breed.jpg

Hi,

I wanna know some information about the guitar sound on this album, whose production (guitars as well as everything else) is absolutely CRUSHING ! :

-guitar/ PUs
-OD pedal between the guitar and the amp ?
-amps / cabs (amps settings ? :) )
-mic and mic placement
- pre EQing ?
-EQ on the guitar tracks ?

this album is one of my favourite of Andy's productions

Any drum info on this record would be killer!

I know you said it was along time ago Andy but, this was one of my faves growing up because of the drum production (even though I didnt know about production then lol)

I remember recording when I was 15 and handing the engineer my (Breed the killers) cd saying "please make my toms sound like this" and of course he did not hahahahah

:puke:

Guitars were ESP vipers with EMG 81s in the bridge. Not sure about neck, but they never used it. Distortion was Ibanez Tubescreamer. Gain and tone set to middle, volume on full.

The amp was a Peavey 5150, green channel, crunch and bright switches in. Pregain around 4, low on 7, mid on 1, high on 4. I don't remember the presence or resonance settings, but this will get you very close. Master volume should not go over 4.

One ov my favorite metal sounds, so over-saturated and not in the least bit floppy.

Guitars were ESP vipers with EMG 81s in the bridge. Not sure about neck, but they never used it. Distortion was Ibanez Tubescreamer. Gain and tone set to middle, volume on full.

The amp was a Peavey 5150, green channel, crunch and bright switches in. Pregain around 4, low on 7, mid on 1, high on 4. I don't remember the presence or resonance settings, but this will get you very close. Master volume should not go over 4.

One ov my favorite metal sounds, so over-saturated and not in the least bit floppy.

Thanks a lot !!!

How did you get that info ? Were you part of the studio sessions ?

EDIT : by the way, those 5150 settings are non-o-clock right ?

Thanks a lot !!!

How did you get that info ? Were you part of the studio sessions ?

EDIT : by the way, those 5150 settings are non-o-clock right ?

Nope, not part of the sessions, but Erick Edwards and I were friendly, and he was new to the band and couldn't buy the Mesa stuff Scott was playing live. 5150 was a cheap, viable alternative.

Frankly, Scott's Mesa triaxis and 2:90 power amp sounded a LOT better live, but the producer liked this sound for tracking. Guitar sounds sick on this recording.

Settings are numerical, not a clock system. Dial it in, and you get REAL close.

I also recall that some of their sound on Slither came from a wireless that they used. It had a compansion feature that made the guitar sound weird and metallic. I think it was a Rocktron? Can't remember.

It's probably valueless, but I own the SG 1 that Scott played at the first path show(pictured in liner notes for Gomorrah's Season Ends,) and kris weichman's Mesa 4 * 12. As a kid who came up on these bands, that stuff has tremendous sentimental value.

Paid $100 for the guitar, straight up traded the Mesa for a Marshall 4 * 12. LOL.

just listening to this for the first time (had to order it from the UK)...
NICE!
really digging the drums...loads of overhead and room mics on there...natural kick, snare, toms...lovely. I love how open and real the drums sound, must have been recorded in a good sounding room

just listening to this for the first time (had to order it from the UK)...
NICE!
really digging the drums...loads of overhead and room mics on there...natural kick, snare, toms...lovely. I love how open and real the drums sound, must have been recorded in a good sounding room

better late than never Lasse :)

The opening track of the album is soooo crushing.

You should check out their last album, "neutralize the threat", produced by Zeuss. It's so badass.