Exclusive: DISSECTION Frontman JON NÖDTVEIDT Commits Suicide - Aug. 18, 2006

Erik said:
why? because people like you can't be arsed to make research or think before speaking?

by choosing a name that's ALREADY ESTABLISHED by another MAJOR religion and using it as your own, doesn't it make sense that most people will make a CORRELATION with said religion?

just sayin'

ps. what's your beef with life and people and stuff erik?

Furious B said:
by choosing a name that's ALREADY ESTABLISHED by another MAJOR religion and using it as your own, doesn't it make sense that most people will make a CORRELATION with said religion?
if two religions/philosophical systems use the same term for a certain concept you should not assume that both are the exact same thing. for example, norse mythology's "hel" or "hell" is not the same as judeo-christian "hell" and you'd be pretty dumbfucked to argue that. this is kinda the same thing. CORRELATION does not mean EQUALITY. also i do not give a shit about what religions are "major" and which are not. i thought people into metal would be the sort of people to not dismiss the non-mainstream, whether in music or belief.

Furious B said:
ps. what's your beef with life and people and stuff erik?
i just have a difficult time tolerating blatant stupidity and ignorance is all

lizard said:
no offense but you're giving metal fans WAY too much credit. I understand what you're saying, but a pretty significant percentage of metal fans are dumber than a box of hammers.
sure that statement is correct, but are you dumber than a box of hammers? i'm specifically talking about the people i am arguing with in this thread and/or the people that frequent this forum.

there are some pretty bright people here but we've also had our share of dumbasses. And at times I've probably been stupid, I know I have a number of times acknowledged statements which I later realized were dead wrong, I'm under no illusions regarding my infallibility. And I'm making a distinction between mere differences of opinion and factually wrong statements.

It's probably not just metal but any "genre" fosters in some people a herd mentality which basically dampens intelligent thought among those content enough to let the corporate giants/media dictate their tastes.

edit: of course dumb people don't realize they are dumb. Life is simple when you are stupid.

Erik said:
CORRELATION does not mean EQUALITY.
Agreed. However, "Satan" as a symbol of opposition to Christianity, at least makes sense on some level. There's much worth opposing in Christianity's history, as well as its current incarnation. However, to remove Christianity from the equation, leaves you with what exactly?

Support of a "dark" system, suggests opposition to a system of "light". Assuming traditional use of the concepts of "light" and "dark", why would anyone actually want "darkness" to prevail? Because your totally fuckin kvlt, I suspect.

As I said, the entire notion seems quite D & D. Additionally, I'd venture to guess the people who follow MLO fancy themselves more enlightened than the Christians they most certainly ridicule. However, in the end, they're no more than sheep which belong to a smaller herd.

Zod

General Zod said:
Support of a "dark" system, suggests opposition to a system of "light". Assuming traditional use of the concepts of "light" and "dark", why would anyone actually want "darkness" to prevail?

Assuming traditional concepts is wrong, because they oversimplify to compensate for the masses. It's not nearly as polarized as that.

zod seriously. READ before you attempt to discuss this. you're not only way out in the fields, you're in the wrong field with an albanian tractor. i'm done unless you are going to discuss this from a valid standpoint.

I'm guessing the use of Satan in pagan and non-Christian belief systems dates back as far as Christianity itself if not further, into the centuries of late antiquity. Just because we aren't really taught about these ancient traditions and how they informed the development of Christianity, Judaism as well as pagan and other "heretical" beliefs doesn't mean that a concept we became familiar with through Christianity isn't of any significance to other groups.

I'm sure that's true. I know that allegedly there are ancient Babylonian origins in things like a "trilogy" like the father/son/holy ghost thing; much akin to the pagan cultural origins of things like christmas tree ornaments, yule logs, etc.

My primary objection to that, tho, is that once a concept becomes fully coopted by the conquering philosophy, that philosophy more or less becomes the owner of it.

Erik said:
zod seriously. READ before you attempt to discuss this.
I've read the MLO web site. And I have no desire to further dedicate any more of my time to this D & D silliness.

Erik said:
you're not only way out in the fields, you're in the wrong field with an albanian tractor. i'm done unless you are going to discuss this from a valid standpoint.
Whatever dude.

Zod