Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Love Lies Bleeding - Ex Nihilo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Anorexia Nervosa - Drudenhaus

• Mystic Forest - Romances

• Total voters
I get the same feeling from Alcest that I get from Jesu. Depressing yet hopeful.....???

EDIT: and if any of those other 3 have a sound or feeling similar to Alcest, consider me sold on them stuff. this is the much better Frenchie black metal, not that poorthodox crap.

Well these three have the same style of riffage, but less melancholy and more evil

I really like Blut Aus Nord, but The Work Which Transmogrifies Hobbes is pretty much enough of their schtick for me. Although I have an album by Spektr as well, which while good, is a bit overkill for that type of stuff.

Deathspell Omega on the other hand, fucking wow. What other bands should I check out, given my awestruck demeanoUr at all things DsO?

Make sure you also check out the longass songs they released on some splits quite recently! "Mass Grave Aesthetics" and "Diabolus Absconditus".

is mortifera any good? how bout celestia?

Yes and maybe.

Nad said:
Deathspell Omega on the other hand, fucking wow. What other bands should I check out, given my awestruck demeanoUr at all things DsO?

Watain, Glorior Belli, maybe Ondskapt and Ofermod.

Edit: completely redundant post.

Eddit eddit: mebbe not

is this Alcest EP sounding uplifting-ish to anyone else?

Yeah, you nailed it with the depressing yet hopeful. I've come back to this a bunch of times since I got here.

cool, then celestia should be good because mortifera is supposedly (according to reviews) an extension of celestia, since it's the same dude/s

Definetly gonna check these out.... Actually, found a Mortifera song on here, seems pretty good.

cool, then celestia should be good because mortifera is supposedly (according to reviews) an extension of celestia, since it's the same dude/s

As Swizzleballs can attest, also check out Peste Noire. Far more raw/hateful/violent than Celestia or Mortifera or Alcest, but with a really interesting and unique musical style.

Décadent;5564178 said:
Yes and maybe.

Nah, I'd be surprised if he likes any of those except perhaps Ondskapt's first album, which to me is most akin to SMRC of those listed. Ofermod is too straight forward, and the same goes for Ondskapt's "new" one. Glorior Belli are just uninteresting ;P
Watain are very good indeed, but knowing your tastes Nad, the only one I'd say you might like, is their latest. Though I doubt it hehe

Décadent;5564220 said:
As Swizzleballs can attest, also check out Peste Noire. Far more raw/hateful/violent than Celestia or Mortifera or Alcest, but with a really interesting and unique musical style.

Agreed, I've not completely grasped their album yet but still like it a lot. Usually I don't care much for music as eclectic as theirs, but as it's solid black metal at its base, most of the extremly odd stuff that is going on works really well. Even that operatic falsetto screaming :D

is this Alcest EP sounding uplifting-ish to anyone else?

In an interview i've read with neige, the whole basis for alcest is a sense of nostalgia. Joyful, longing for the past, an ideal 'dreamworld' of sorts. The music conveys these types of dreams that he's had as a child. This is obviously all given a black metal context. He doesn't see alcest as sad or depressing at all. The lyrics express this, as the second song is a poem by Charles Baudelaire (one translation i've found, there are a couple of variations
http://fleursdumal.org/poem/102 )

Elevation

Above the lakes, above the vales,
The mountains and the woods, the clouds, the seas,
Beyond the sun, beyond the ether,
Beyond the confines of the starry spheres,

My soul, you move with ease,
And like a strong swimmer in rapture in the wave
You wing your way blithely through boundless space
With virile joy unspeakable.

Fly far, far away from this baneful miasma
And purify yourself in the celestial air,
Drink the ethereal fire of those limpid regions
As you would the purest of heavenly nectars.

Beyond the vast sorrows and all the vexations
That weigh upon our lives and obscure our vision,
Happy is he who can with his vigorous wing
Soar up towards those fields luminous and serene,

He whose thoughts, like skylarks,
Toward the morning sky take flight
— Who hovers over life and understands with ease
The language of flowers and silent things!

Edit http://www.atmf.net/webzine/interview.php?id=2 (interview)

Make sure you also check out the longass songs they released on some splits quite recently! "Mass Grave Aesthetics" and "Diabolus Absconditus".
Yeah, I need to check those out, just found out about them last week.

Décadent;5564178 said:

Nah, I'd be surprised if he likes any of those except perhaps Ondskapt's first album, which to me is most akin to SMRC of those listed. Ofermod is too straight forward, and the same goes for Ondskapt's "new" one. Glorior Belli are just uninteresting ;P
Watain are very good indeed, but knowing your tastes Nad, the only one I'd say you might like, is their latest. Though I doubt it hehe
Actually I've been spinning Casus Luciferi a LOT lately, that album rules my face. :D

I've heard of Ondskapt, but I don't know if I've actually heard them. I guess that's my next journey, cool.

Ondskapt's debut album is the best of that kind IMO. Probably just because it's very similar to DMDS but hey, similar to the best album ever has to mean darn good, doesn't it?

cool interview.

spikes, we share the same likings in some emotional types of music. would you recommend any band similar to alcest?

sidenote: that part of "Le Secret" from 8:10 to 9:25 is amazing. Fact.

No band really like them...

Yea like swizzle says alcest is in a league of their own. I will echo what the others have said though. Get:

Mystic Forest - Romances
Mortifera - Vastiia Tenebrd Mortifera
Celestia - Apparitia Sumptuous Spectre (not on the same level but still good)
Peste Noire - La Sanie des siècles (surprise of the year, great stuff.. see track 7)

for all you Belenos fans, Dark Symphonies just got in the rare 2CD L'acien Temps for $10....Essential!

they also got that Aes Dana album. any good?

and might as well get that Sacramentum for $8