Gaming Thread

Ok thanks. I will look at a desktop and maybe a cheaper laptop for me
that is what i would do, honestly, especially if i was on a budget.

if you need the laptop just for web browsing and whatever then just get a dumb cheap one. i mean i'm currently using one i found in the e-waste but that's just how i roll. it really doesn't matter unless you're doing gaming or heavy workstation shit, computers have been fast enough for general tasks for a while.

as for desktop pc's, don't buy anything that says dell or hp or acer or asus or lenovo on it

get one from a company that actually builds gaming pcs that have decent components and are upgradable and that will not try to fuck you over with extended warranties and norton antivirus

in the US that would be someone like maingear or cyberpowerpc or ibuypower

although if it was me i would cheap out and buy a used machine that was top-of-the-line two or three years ago instead of buying a midrange system now. you can always upgrade components later

I will be buying or having a gaming PC built in the next few months, any tips would be appreciated. My old pal Vittra has been a good help so far.

here are some basic ass tips

1. if you're gonna cheap out, cheap out on the cpu because it matters less than the gpu for most games. you can always upgrade the cpu later if you get a weaker one. top of the line cpus are never worth it.

2. do not cheap out on the power supply or graphics card although again, the top of the line is never worth it.

3. it's 2020, get at least 16 gigs of ram

4. don't buy intel processors, get amd always

5. get an m.2 ssd, don't get a sata ssd

Reactions: Demilich
Thank you sir. I will keep these in mind. I stopped following PC tech in the 2000s and trying to wrap my head around it again is daunting.

i disagree with erik about cheaping out on a cpu. The new AMD CPUs are awesome, so you cant get great performance for a good price.

I'd definitely cheap out on a GPU. Get a good one and then wait for a sale to get a good one in 5 years. Easier to replace GPU than a CPU.

i disagree with erik about cheaping out on a cpu. The new AMD CPUs are awesome, so you cant get great performance for a good price.

I'd definitely cheap out on a GPU. Get a good one and then wait for a sale to get a good one in 5 years. Easier to replace GPU than a CPU.
nearly all games now will perform much better with a fancy graphics card and a shit cpu than the other way around. you can still game on your fuckin phenom x6 or first gen core i7 from 2012 if you have a half decent gpu. cheaping out on a gpu, otoh, will leave your fancy cpu doing nothing in games

as for what cheaping out means: you can get a ryzen 5 3600xt now for $250. do that, don't get a ryzen 9 5950x for $900. in a couple of years, maybe get the fancy cpu cheap on ebay if you want more cores or whatever. it's the same socket, the same cooler, couldn't be easier. amd has an excellent backwards compatibility track record.

that said, cheaping out on a gpu is almost impossible these days anyway so i'm not sure how cheap we talkin. we can talk specifics if you want, talking generally about "cheaping out" on this or that is not very useful advice probably.

back in the day there used to be good mainstream mid-tier gpu's for $250, now there's almost nothing there worth buying. there is the garbage tier with 1650 etc (which is so bad that i.e. a fuckin 780ti from 2013 will still murder it) and then a huge jump to $500+ which is like the minimum you need for a gaming pc that will last a couple years

Reactions: swizzlenuts
Yeah, we pretty much agree. I did not mean to get a threadripper or some $1000 cpu for gaming. I was trying to say that get one of these great AMD chips (3800x or even their next gen) and it'll last you for a long time and pick up ebay GPUs when you can. Super easy to pop in and swap compared to upgrading a CPU.

Last year when I bought a PS4 the first thing I did was download about nine Castlevania games. Nothing like using modern high powered hardware to play NES games. The Gameboy versions even slow down whenever 3 sprites are onscreen, so realistic!!11!

I got into PC gaming for a bit and really enjoyed Morrowind for a year or two when that came out. Then I bought some old D&D games and............never played them. I got into it too late in life, video games are a very childhood nostalgia thing for me. Shoulda jumped in when I saw Ultima VIII at Software Etc. in the mall and pulled a Keanu face for 45 minutes.

Those little mini USB console thingies they have now, I have a few of those. NES, SNES, and TurboGrafx. Super Metroid is the only game I spend serious time with, but I'm bound to go through Ys I & II again soon, that was my favoUrite thing in the world in 1991. *checks avatar* I guess in 2020 as well, huh.

Reactions: Krilons Resa
I agree that PC gaming is far superior, objectively speaking from a performance standpoint (although current generation consoles have really stepped it up) but, like NAD was saying, it’s a nostalgic thing. Plus I’d much rather sit on my couch with a remote control and kick my son’s ass at Madden or CTR than sit at a desk in front of a monitor like a nerd.

what prevents you from lounging on a nice fluffy sofa in front of a big ass screen connected to, wait for it, a PC

just fucking with you really, people are welcome to own consoles in my book

consoles suck now

ps4 sounds like a fucking industrial air compressor whenever it does anything heavier than display the menu and every time you turn it on there’s a new 18 gb patch that does fucking nothing

if you dont get the ease of plopping in a cartridge and pressing a button, whats even the point

that being said... i have a ps4 because i grabbed it out of the electronics scrap at the literal dump -- the hard drive was dead so then i also grabbed a dead laptop with a 500 gb harddrive from the same place and replaced it and now it works greatas designed

for the zero dollar price i can't complain really, i've been casually playin some skyrim lately and it's good shit

Re: nostalgia, some of my old TurboGrafx games are worth $200 to $500 these days, which is just fucking absurd. I had to track down the games back then, hardly any stores sold them because nobody wanted the gorram things. A failed product in 1990 turns into HTF OOP L@@K on eBay 30 years later and sells for big bucks.

I sold one of them for $200+ a few years back (Might & Magic III, fuck you) but you'll have to pry Beyond Shadowgate out of my cold, dead hands.

The PS5 and (new) Xbox have solid state drives. They run COMPLETELY silent and load incredibly fast. Obviously if you're using physical media then the disk drive will still make some noise, but overall these are great improvements. PC gaming was always a gigantic pain in the ass.... I tried to get into it several times and can no longer be bothered to give a fuck. Console man for life

Reactions: Krilons Resa
Yeah, plus with all the tweaking and mods you can do with the PC and the games, I'd drive myself crazy. I'd rather just focus on the games and enjoy myself, tbh. I hadn't owned a gaming system since around '99 and just bought a PS4 last Christmas for my son and I. My unit isn't that loud at all actually but I have heard stories stating otherwise, especially with the original big body unit. *shrug*

I'll probably grab the PS5 down the road when 1) the bugs, if any, are worked out first and 2) you can actually find one.

I'm about to purchase a new TV too and it will accomodate all these new-fangled fuckery that this next generation will take advantage of.