Gaming Thread

While we're on the subject of computers 'n shit....

About two weeks ago I cracked open my 2020 21.5" iMac to upgrade the HD/RAM and HOLY FUCK let me tell you, Apple is the least consumer friendly company of all time. For anyone who thinks this is remotely similar to upgrading a PC, I would encourage you to scroll through this video.

I knew that the glass removal would be the hardest part, but I definitely underestimated how fragile and ready-to-crack this shit is. I put a .5 inch crack over the black border section which is very thankfully invisible and goes nowhere near the display. All said and done, it took me about 3 hours to entirely disassemble the computer to access the Logic board where the RAM hangs out. It was worth the crack on the screen, because these base model iMacs are hideously under-powered. Over Christmas break, I was trying to do an Excel project for work and this thing could barely handle it. I'm talking about a new Apple product which takes 15 seconds to open an Excel file and starts to run out of memory while running Excel, Firefox, and Apple Music (which tbf uses way too much RAM for what it is). I can't believe they still sell new desktops with regular HDDs.

A fun thing to mention is that the RAM on the higher-end iMacs can still be accessed through a simple door on the back of the chassis. This process is only for the cheaper models that they absolutely do not want you to enjoy for extended periods of time. In fact, this was intended to be an upgrade to my old 2011 base model iMac (which still featured the easy-access RAM) and it was easily a worse machine out of the box.

yeah apple is terrible now in terms of user servicability, it's a real shame

unfortunately a lot of other manufacturers are going the same way, which doesn't excuse it, they're just following apple's lead

I can't believe they still sell new desktops with regular HDDs.
i can't believe you bought one :cool:

as of august 2020 they no longer sell anything, including base model imacs, with a spinning rust drive

i guess you were unfortunate enough to buy one of the very last ones

yeah apple is terrible now in terms of user servicability, it's a real shame

unfortunately a lot of other manufacturers are going the same way, which doesn't excuse it, they're just following apple's lead

i can't believe you bought one :cool:

as of august 2020 they no longer sell anything, including base model imacs, with a spinning rust drive

i guess you were unfortunate enough to buy one of the very last ones

It's definitely my fault! I was given the option of a 256gb SSD or a 1TB "Fusion" drive. I figured that the fusion drive was good enough and that I probably needed more than 256gb for storage. Reality: it was NOT good enough and not only did I need less than 256gb for storage, I didn't even think about buying an external SSD for extra room. Oh well, lessons learned.

I would estimate that I'll be in the market for new laptop in about a year. I need a lot of storage for my music but SSD storage is expensive. Hopefully by then it'll be down a little but, if not, would it be wise to have one that runs the OS from the SSD, and have storage on a HDD? That sounds like the best option, no? Best to start thinking about these things now.

yes. always, always, always an SSD for the os disk. storage on an external mechanical hard drive. unless you are running games or apps directly from your external disk or doing really heavy duty video editing there is no reason for an external drive to be solid state.

I am absolutely loving cyberpunk. You can tell the story is written by people who understand AI and know how technology works.

Reactions: Ellestin
I am absolutely loving cyberpunk. You can tell the story is written by people who understand AI and know how technology works.

I've been meaning to get it but I'll wait until it is patched up good, given the whole shitstorm over a billion bugs. I might want to upgrade the hardware some before tackling it. I suppose it's one of these games that justify going for the next level.

Reactions: swizzlenuts
I was checking out glitchwave the other day (rateyourmusic's video game site) and it's fun/interesting to see what people think of some of the old sega, snes, pc games I used to pla in the 90's. The site doesn't seem to have been up for all that long, so there's still relatively few reviews for individual games besides the major classics. I was talking to my wife the other day about this---unlike movies--a lot of my favorites are from the 70's, 80's were made before I was born) or music---where most of my favorite albums were created before I was into extreme metulz or at least right when I was discovering a lot of stuff--

For Video games I was completely there and played a lot of the classics within the context of when they were created. I played a lot of nes games at my cousin's and I had sega/snes and was fairly early into pcing gaming (remember putting the multiple floppy discs in to get wolf 3d going :p or cd/doom/doom) I remember playing doom for the first time and how amazing it was- and how much of a leap it was over most things at that time). Reading some of these reviews on glitchwave with peeps just playing these games now on emulators or reboots---there's no context! --- "You don't know what it was like when that album came out --- I GET IT NOW :loco:

Anyway: :popcorn:

Console:
1. Castlevania SOTN
2. Revenge of Shinobi (sega)
3. Final Fantasy Tactics
4. Super mario world 2 yoshi's island
5. Secrets of Mana
6. Zombies ate my neighbors
7. Zelda: A link to the past
8. Tactics Ogre
9. Chrono Trigger
10. Ghostbusters (sega---an underrated classic!)

HM: super mario world, supermetroid, top Gear 2, sonic 1/2, mickymouse Castle of Illusion (underrated platformer), True lies (really well done game actually for snes), Resident Evil, Shadow of the colossus, Ico, final fantasy 7, project overkill (early ps1 game)

PC
1. Counterstrike (many a nights --- the "go go go" sound will be forever etched in my mind until I die)
2. Warcraft 2 (I still play it :p)
3. Civilization 2
4. Simcity 2000, sim farm, sim tower, sim city 3000 (or else this will be the whole list)
5. Heroes of might and magic II
6. Doom 1/2
7. Age of Empires
8. Half Life 1/2
9. Fallout 2
10. Myst

Yeah I can't imagine anyone playing Simon's Quest today and finding it any good, but in 1988 man, it was amazing.

Gothic Horror Metroid. That shit blew my 9-year-old mind back then. Still one of my favoUrite video game soundtracks.

Symphony of the Night is clearly the better game of course, but still. Historical context and such.

Reactions: spikes77
Yeah I can't imagine anyone playing Simon's Quest today and finding it any good, but in 1988 man, it was amazing.

Gothic Horror Metroid. That shit blew my 9-year-old mind back then. Still one of my favoUrite video game soundtracks.

Symphony of the Night is clearly the better game of course, but still. Historical context and such.

Yes to all this :kickass: and also:

and my fav song from SOTN (I mean come onnn)

What is a man?! A miserable little pile of secrets! :rofl:

Reactions: NAD
dadz9ch-1734eb73-0584-479f-aa6d-1c6d4c1d0e22.png

I am playing Dark Souls on ng+ with a melee build and Manus is kicking my ass so far. Send help.

What is a man?! A miserable little pile of secrets! :rofl:
*breaks wine glass*

If, emphasis on IF, I had to choose my favoUrite song it's this one:

Have you played Bloodstained? Highly recommended for the next continuation of Symphony of the Night, by one of the main Castlevania peoples:

And yes, he chucks a glass of wine in this video. :D

My most anticipated game for 2021 (probably the only game I'll play) is the follow up to the fantastic Hollow Knight

I do have Red Dead Redemption 2 in my steam library but don't think I'll have the time and courage to get to it before retirement...

Reactions: Krilons Resa
My most anticipated game for 2021 (probably the only game I'll play) is the follow up to the fantastic Hollow Knight

I do have Red Dead Redemption 2 in my steam library but don't think I'll have the time and courage to get to it before retirement...

I have to go back and finish Hollow Knight. I got pretty far but, for some reason, got sidetracked and stopped playing. It's a great game.

However, RDR2 is probably the greatest game I have ever played to date. I still start up that game to just fuck around and explore the beautiful world.

Reactions: Ellestin
So my avatar is the map of Ys for Turbografx which I own a physical copy of (the game and the paper map) and I don't expect anyone else to have the love for that game series like I do, but I'm flyin' the flag for any passersby that might see this. Quote this post in 2034 and if I'm still alive, we will be friends if only for but a moment in time.

Ys I & II changed my life and has influenced me for 30 years and counting. Best. Soundtrack. Ever.
Ys III is garbage but with absolutely amazing music. And I played through it at least 10 times anyhow.
Ys IV I own the Japanese version and have played a translation patch to about the halfway point. It is stellar, but I sadly have not finished it (yet).
Ys V I have never played. There are no known English translations.
Ys VI is pretty solid and I went through it one time, and dicked around multiple other times.
Ys VII I have the poster hanging up in my music room but it's only on PSP so essentially suffers the Ys V fate for me.
Ys VIII I own but have not played (yet).
Ys IX is coming out in a few weeks and I will purchase it to play at a later date.

I mean truly Ys is pretty much Agalloch for me except the love affair started in 1991 instead of 2001. Shit runs DEEP.