Gaming Thread

Level 1 without enemies.

Level 2 with enemies.

Imagine hearing this in friggin' 1990 in a gorram video game. I mean 2 years prior I was blown away by the Castlevania II soundtrack and then suddenly THIS was in my bedroom blasting through an Aiwa sound system.

Yes I love Super Metroid and A Link to the Past and Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy III (aka VI), but those bits of sonic glory were auditory disappointments compared to what TurboGrafx was doing several years earlier.

I have to go back and finish Hollow Knight. I got pretty far but, for some reason, got sidetracked and stopped playing. It's a great game.

The Radiance handed me my ass so many times that I ended up watching a late stage playthrough and pretending I was the one playing lol.

I know it's kind of the "unofficial" final boss, still it's a disgace. I could never manage its crazy hardcore patterns...

Maybe I should replay the whole thing before tackling Silksong.

Reactions: Krilons Resa
I only played and enjoyed greatly Dark Souls III, and had to summon helpers for every boss past the bishop dude. It's a stain of shame that won't wash off.

I've only played the first one (Remastered) because it is on the Switch, and I don't have a PC other than my work laptop at the moment. I am dying to play III, hearing II was a bit of a misstep.

I must get a new gaming PC together but the GPU market is such a mess!

Hollow Knight... please someone convince me to buy it. I know it's great but can't get past the art style.

The art is one of the best parts! It's all hand drawn and amazing. The atmosphere rules, the metroid like world rules (yet can be frustrating), and it's hard AF if you're in for a challenge. It's kind of a throwback to the good 'ol days of video gaming. Oh, and it's CHEAP!

Reactions: Demilich
The art is one of the best parts! It's all hand drawn and amazing. The atmosphere rules, the metroid like world rules (yet can be frustrating), and it's hard AF if you're in for a challenge. It's kind of a throwback to the good 'ol days of video gaming. Oh, and it's CHEAP!

Sold! Though I never finish any of the other Metroidvania games I own, such as Timespinner and Axiom Verge.

- it plays like a dream
- level design is ace
- shitton of character/combat enhancements and combo opportunities
- world opens up in logical and satisfying conjunction with the story - thanks to manifold travelling options
- speaking of which, moving and complex story, a few great characters
- challenging side activities

Honestly it's a must play. So yeah, maybe the art style is an acquired taste, but I for one don't see anything divisive about it. Everything is plain beautiful and cute, though some maps are pretty dark/scary as well.

Speaking of works of art, has anyone else ever played NieR:Automata?

That fucking game. THAT fucking game.

The story is brilliant. The atmosphere is brilliant. The many style-shifts of the gaming experience is brilliant. Oh, and the best Video game OST EVER ties the entire experience together in an amazing way that I can't even begin to describe. I still listen to the OST for enjoyment and nostalgia.

Reactions: Ellestin
Another point that needs to be made about the few games being talked about recently is it's obvious that the devs deeply care about the product they are creating. It's highly evident when you play a game that has had fjords of passion poured into it vs a game that is just thrown together to hit a deadline for the next cash grab.

Another case of the art style turning me off of a game I would probably love. I've read enough about it that now I am just waiting for it to be available on a platform I own.

I understand that due to the anime semi-anime nature of it. But...

a. 2B is super hot
b. You quickly get over that once you start playing and get sucked in by the sheer creativity
c. 2B is super hot

edit: I'm partially kidding about 2B of course but you'll definitely be seeking out ladders to climb.

The game is worth playing for the story and how the fantastic music syncs with the gaming experience/different map areas alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ellestin
*breaks wine glass*

If, emphasis on IF, I had to choose my favoUrite song it's this one:

That is a great one! -- there are so many on that soundtrack.

Have you played Bloodstained? Highly recommended for the next continuation of Symphony of the Night, by one of the main Castlevania peoples:

And yes, he chucks a glass of wine in this video. :D

That is a great one! -- there are so many on that soundtrack.

Yea I backed the kickstarter as soon as I found out. I have played it, but not all the way through yet -- since new school year (+ covid) just haven't had the time.

Definitely looking forward to that new hollow knight--loved the first one.

This is another one that is coming out soon that is in the same vein---definitely a great time to be into these platformers:heh:

Has anyone played cuphead--the art looks amazing on that one too.

Reactions: NAD
I wanna play Cuphead (all hand drawn too I believe) but am too intimidated by all the mentions of extreme difficulty.

My girlfriend and I are currently on the penultimate boss, an oh man it has been a challenge.

In fact, the whole reason I went back to Dark Souls was to reclaim the feeling that I knew what i was doing somewhat.

Cuphead is highly recommended though.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but they announced in October that the game is delayed until further notice. Currently there is no scheduled release date, which is disappointing because I have been looking forward to it as well!
Oh no... I was wondering how come they don't talk about it anymore. I thought covid didn't really inflict gaming industry.
Let's hit co-op together once it's out!