GMD Poll: Iron Maiden Albums Ranked

best ones in my opinion:
megadeth, metallica, immortal, burzum, darkthrone, death, bolt thrower, slough feg, candlemass, fate/diamond (i'd be happy to keep them together like that personally)

i think motorhead, virgin steele, dark tranquillity, abigor, yngwie, melvins, budgie and overkill might struggle for familiarity on this board - i mean, i've heard multiple albums by nearly all of those but i could only do DT with any comprehensiveness. same for scorpions post their 70s material.

Abigor also went to shit after Supreme Immortal Art.

I agree with most of these, except Immortal who only have like two worthwhile albums and only one that's legitimately great :p.

I need to revisit that one. Wasn't sure if they went to shit before or after that one. Don't remember much about it!
If anything, their work afterwards was far less satisfying. On Channeling..., Thurisaz's vocals are just kind of...well...there but the instrumentation is fantastic. '90s Abigor is absolute black metal gold, in my opinion.

If anything, their work afterwards was far less satisfying. On Channeling..., Thurisaz's vocals are just kind of...well...there but the instrumentation is fantastic. '90s Abigor is absolute black metal gold, in my opinion.

They definitely are and deserve to be mentioned alongside the greats, but often they aren't unfortunately. Their early albums also have a rather unique sound to them. Sometimes they get lost in their own elaborate compositions, but they have such ambition and youthful energy that I can forgive that.

Listening to Channeling the Quintessence of Satan now. Will let you know what I think of it on the revisit.

Why is the thread dead then?
Because people got bored with it and then Baroque nuked it with his pretentiousness bomb.

I find the best of the year games to be the best of all.
My favourite favourites thread is the one with all the favourites.

I actually enjoy the Best of the Year threads also. Mixtape game was better though imo

Same! I miss the themed mixtape game! We should revive it with a new theme. Perhaps from someone who never won or we take a vote on who gets to do it.

Surprised you enjoy it, though. Since every game you participate in you say it makes you question if you even like metal. You need to broaden your horizons! Come to the dark side where black metal reigns supreme.

Surprised you enjoy it, though. Since every game you participate in you say it makes you question if you even like metal. You need to broaden your horizons! Come to the dark side where black metal reigns supreme.
Hah, it wasn't every game, I think it was only a few times that I said that. I'll happily come to the dark side when I hear some BM that blows my mind.

No Prayer for the Dying (it's amazing to me how low it is on most of these lists).
It's the first of their post-classic albums, worse than everything before it by a good margin. I can imagine people having two sets of standards, one for the early era and one for the late era, and considering No Prayer weak by both measures.

Last edited:
best ones in my opinion:
megadeth, metallica, immortal, burzum, darkthrone, death, bolt thrower, slough feg, candlemass, fate/diamond (i'd be happy to keep them together like that personally)

i think motorhead, virgin steele, dark tranquillity, abigor, yngwie, melvins, budgie and overkill might struggle for familiarity on this board - i mean, i've heard multiple albums by nearly all of those but i could only do DT with any comprehensiveness. same for scorpions post their 70s material.

Basically bands that have ~10+ albums to rank. Probably no less than 7 to make it worth doing.

Finally gave The Final Frontier a spin today. Definitely one of Maiden's most subtle albums. I'll have to spend more time with it. "Coming Home" is fucking beautiful, easily one of my favorite of their 21st century songs.

Reactions: CiG
I've re-listened to all the albums from 1995-present now (including second listens for Final Frontier and Book of Souls). Here's my full list, for the hell of it:
  1. Iron Maiden
  2. Powerslave
  3. Killers
  4. The Number of the Beast
  5. Piece of Mind
  6. Somewhere in Time
  7. Fear of the Dark
  8. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
  9. The X Factor
  10. No Prayer for the Dying
  11. Dance of Death
  12. The Final Frontier
  13. Brave New World
  14. The Book of Souls
  15. A Matter of Life and Death
  16. Virtual XI

I'm amazed at how differently I feel about the two Blaze albums. There's not a lot of difference in style and structure between them, but Virtual XI just sounds extremely tedious, and somehow Blaze's "dark spiritual journey of the struggling everyman" contribution to the Maiden sound is only really convincing on the first album. On the second, he just sounds like a washed-up, talentless version of the struggling everyman. I think there are also more fantasy themes lyrically on Virtual XI, and when Blaze sings lyrics like that instead of the more realistic/personal ones, it only serves to highlight how much less "Maiden" he sounds than Bruce.

Other than Virtual XI, I don't really dislike any of their albums. I still hear epic 80s-quality material in most of the 21st century ones, it's just few and far between. For that period, Dance of Death has the greatest number of songs that really impress me, and of course there's "Paschendale", the only song of that period which I think stands up to the best 80s songs. The Final Frontier and Brave New World have about an equal number of highs, but there are more lows on BNW.

I had to relisten to Somewhere in Time too. It's always weirded me out a little - much more prog than the previous albums, and unlike those albums there's nothing that really won me over immediately. Hard to criticize it, though - it's tight, packed with riffs, and there's something magical in the guitar tone which you can't hear anywhere else in the discography.

The first four on my list are undoubtedly their catchiest albums, and that's the primary standard by which I choose to judge Maiden. Their ability to write such unforgettable songs is what sets them apart from 99% of metal bands, and they arguably spent most of their career making cheap, formulaic imitations of the 1982-1984 period.

Last edited: