GMD Poll: Iron Maiden Albums Ranked

I'm not sure how anyone can suggest I am doing these albums a disservice by simply ranking them in MY preferred order. I don't like a lot of black metal does that mean I am doing them some kind of disservice by not listening to them? Is anyone else doing a disservice to a band or genres simply because they don't like a band or album?

Bruce may have acted like an arsehole a million times over but he never acted like a Paul Dianno. I don't like PD for many of the things he has done and his voice puts me off those albums.
If you don't give the music a shot completely isolated from your person to person biases, then, yes, that's the definition of disservicing it.

Reactions: Slammed
I'm not sure how anyone can suggest I am doing these albums a disservice by simply ranking them in MY preferred order. I don't like a lot of black metal does that mean I am doing them some kind of disservice by not listening to them? Is anyone else doing a disservice to a band or genres simply because they don't like a band or album?
You're doing it a disservice through the ludicrous notion of ranking an album based on something that has nothing to do with the actual content of the album. It's ridiculous. You do realize that there were OTHER PEOPLE performing and writing both the self-titled and Killers, right?

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
If you don't give the music a shot completely isolated from your person to person biases, then, yes, that's the definition of disservicing it.

And if I could have ranked some of the songs individually or with another singer the result would have been different but I was only judging the studio albums as they stood and PD's vocals annoy the crap out of me on those albums.

You're doing it a disservice through the ludicrous notion of ranking an album based on something that has nothing to do with the actual content of the album. It's ridiculous. You do realize that there were OTHER PEOPLE performing and writing both the self-titled and Killers, right?

Serious? It wasn't Paul himself doing everything?

Serious? It wasn't Paul himself doing everything?
Wow, you're so clever.

My point is that some of the band's best material is on the first two (especially on Killers) and you're essentially denigrating both of them because of a singer who (in technical terms) still has the exact same range as Bruce Dickinson.

Wow, you're so clever.

My point is that some of the band's best material is on the first two (especially on Killers) and you're essentially denigrating both of them because of a singer who (in technical terms) still has the exact same range as Bruce Dickinson.

And you're essentially berating another fan because they don't agree with you.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
Never understand people that care so much about the personality of the musicians, what you think you're some perfect person? You're probably a total douche like the rest of us.

Reactions: crimsonfloyd
In partial fairness, Paul Di'Anno is one of a very few number of musicians where I actually lost respect for them based on what they said. Didn't affect my enjoyment of the albums, but the dude was clearly a total poser and his "hard, tough punk edge" image was total bullshit and Steve Harris deserves 99% of the credit for those albums.

Never understand people that care so much about the personality of the musicians, what you think you're some perfect person? You're probably a total douche like the rest of us.

I never suggested I wasn't and I certainly wouldn't be offended if PD told me my singing was crap and it made him enjoy any song I sung even less. I probably still wouldn't respect him or like him but I wouldn't be offended. The fact that PD ruins those albums for me is being blown way out of proportion.

It's really no different to the many people who claim they hate everything Megadeth had done since Marty and Nick left because Dave treated them badly. Its a personal preference nothing to be offended by.

I'm sure he's said a lot of things, for me though it was an interview where he criticized Iron Maiden for not being accessible enough during the early Dickinson years, saying how he could have broken them through to the true mainstream or some shit. I used to give him credit for at least being partially responsible for the aggression of those albums, and didn't care when he called Dickinson a girly-voiced poofter or whatever, but the guy is just some washed-up degenerate willing to do anything for a buck.

Reactions: zerostatic and CiG
berate
bɪˈreɪt/
verb
verb: berate; 3rd person present: berates; past tense: berated; past participle: berated; gerund or present participle: berating
scold or criticize

I'll just leave that there and bow out of the discussion. They are my choices, if anyone is offended by them I could be apologetic but I wont be.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
I really need to make a list. Would have last night but my power went out in the storm. Maybe tonight, finished up my unheard albums over the week.

So, I've completed my list. In retrospect, the real surprises in revisiting a lot of the '90s (and to an extent the '00s and '10s) material is that there are quite a few gems with a renewed appreciation for the atmosphere on albums like The X Factor.

Reactions: CiG
I have No Prayer for the Dying and Virtual XI incoming next week. I revisited some of NPFTD and it is way better than I remember. I may put it above FOTD tbh. My list is complete except for those two records.

I can understand the vocals putting someone off from an album, but being put off by reading an article is petty. If the music is good, it's good. It's like people who don't listen to the Nazi themed stuff. Lyrics to me are secondary to everything else in the music,

This viewpoint doesn't necessarily apply to other things in life, but it's just something I've held about music for a long time.

I tend to never read interviews or anything because I just dont care what some psycho in a metal band from a third world country (or wherever) thinks about the world.

Reactions: CiG