I recently bought a "nu-metal" album

Mar 18, 2002
Visit site
I bought System of a downs "Toxicity" today...
I had to, I like their "taliban"-singer if you know what i mean and I think they write intresting music which I think is unique.
They are not like Linkin Park or that shit.

Sadly, just three songs were good, one particular "Aerials" which is great, the rest seems to be too much bad ideas and not so musicallly.

If they only could use their singer in the right way! He is great...and he is the only one what Ive heard that sing with some turkish tones etc. And strangely it sounds good with heavy guitars.

I dont know how their first album is...I hope its more like this "Aerials" I mentioned.

Anyone who has their first cd? dont think so but....

Yeah System Of A Down are actually quite good for a nu metal band... I particularly like the occasional short grindcore-like passages :) I haven't bought the album, though, I only have the mp3s. There are good songs but they get boring soon, especially the far too often played first single "Toxicity".
What I don't like is their still somehow nu-metallish image, trying to look like "freaks"...

I bought Toxicity about 8 months ago and for a while it was my favourite album. As far as nu-metal goes I still acknowledge System of a Down as one of the best. Eventually I grew tired of their lack of musical diversity, but every now and then its great to listen to. Its especially great to get pissed to and sing along to drunkingly.

My favourite songs are Needles, Forest and Psycho, the last has a suprisingly skilled and spaced out guitar solo, something I didn't expect from System.

Oh yeah, I've got their first CD, in my opinion its much much better than Toxicity, I still count it among my favourite CDs, I was hardcore into it when noone had ever heard of them, when they got so popular it kind of killed my like of them. The 1st CD rocks, get into it.

Agreed!! Definitely the first, that one's the shit. It's up there on my favorite CD list, too. Harder and less "radio friendly" than Toxicity. It was tr00 before System got known.

System's first CD is amazing, i dont perticularly think they are nu-metal though...not at all actually...and "taliban singer"? what the fuck is that about, thats a screwed up thing to say....hes Armenian anyway

Yeah, System is good. They're pretty much the only popular music I'll listen to in the metal field (if you want to call them that). Then again, like any popular music, they tend to get old after a while. I really like Toxicity, I find it quite inventive/different for as well known as they are. I like the old one too, but I think I like the new one a little better.

Heeeeey, a Pittsburgh-ian Metalhead. Those are rare around here. :D

As for SOAD, they're....ok. I used to love them, but my stupid mallfuck friend played them out when he'd comeover, so now I'm pretty damn sick of them.

They are definately one of the better of the genre, along with Korn. I used to LOVE korn, and i heard them recently and they aren't really that bad....a good band I would say, I hate Fieldy though.

Well since that kind of music got me into metal, I shouldn't go off at it, but still it's not my thing anymore. Mikael calls it 'childsplay music' and I think Mikael is right.

Only thing I still get into from the nu-metal genre would have to be Soulfly... don't ask why though, I just do.

Originally posted by Morningrise
They are definately one of the better of the genre, along with Korn. I used to LOVE korn, and i heard them recently and they aren't really that bad....a good band I would say, I hate Fieldy though.

! :)

What's wrong with Fieldy? The whole failed-rapper thing?

I dunno, he seems like a real sweety. All cuddly and stuff. But he is a pretty shitty bassist.

SOAD blows...In 11th grade I was in a friends car when he first put on their first album after 2 minutes he took it out and threw it out his window on the highway...ahahaha that was hilarious.......still don't like'em...put on an energetic live show though...