I'm Kvlty Correct!

I certainly agree that the area and circumstances someone is raised in can affect their sound. Some of that, I'm sure, has to do with just that...the situation they have been in and the experiences they have been exposed to.

I am also of the opinion that it can, at times, have something to do with what their peers are doing...at least before the interweb became so prevalent. Bands that are starting out in the same area, seeing each other play, etc, often have a similar feel. If you look at the early days of thrash (in the US), there were two distinct sounds...east coast and west coast. Or, in the early 90's, you knew it was Norwegian Black Metal nearly instantly (partially because no one else was churning it out as prolifically).

I've always wondered...if it were 1987 and you were to grab a band that was just starting out, who were all born in California, and dropped them into the heart of the NY scene, which sound would they have embraced?

I'm rambling.

Canada has always had a mild dislike for the arrogant moronic tourists that flock accross our borders, and yet a passionate love of their money.

We also hate that american person we meet while traveling who fits the above description and asks dumb questions.

this thread straight up sucks, no one has had ANY valid points. not that i have any to bring to the table, but i'd prefer to not waste 20 minutes reading about how people like to jack off to pictures of themselves and/or their countries. damn, people.

uh zod dude i don't have a problem with you, that post was directed at that one new guy
Ahhh... LOL. Well than... kindly discount the extra bit of sarcasm that permeated my last post.

all i'm saying is america has a culture, and that this culture implies that americans are inclined to act in certain ways, and less inclined to act in others. for example, americans are apparently incapable of writing black metal music.

does america have a culture, general zod? is there anything at all that distinguishes american culture from that of other countries? if you concede that there is, you will agree that there could ("HYPOTHETICALLY") be parts of that culture that make it more difficult for americans to succeed at certain things.
That's an interesting question. I'm not sure if America has a culture. If it does, I suspect it has more than one and that those cultures are regional, not national.

Honestly, I'm not sure how much culture any country has. And to the extant that they do, I'm not sure for how much longer they will. The reality is as people inter-marry, immigrate, become less religious, move towards a common language, etc., the aspects which define culture slowly fade away. Of course, if you listen to NSBM you're all too aware of this fact. :loco:

let's say you wanted to hire someone to build an igloo in your front yard. now, do you ask the inuit or the native american? let's say you want to listen to black metal. do you listen to the album by the guy who grew up in a suburb, drives a white 1996 SATURN that his PARENTS bought him and works at WAL*MART, or the one by the proud northern aryan warrior, veiled in misty mountains and dark forests, with a sordid past of black plague, church oppression and isolation running through his VERY VEINS?
I'm not trying to be evasive. However, I would hire the person who had a compelling musical vision. Let's face it, whether you're a Nord creating Black Metal or a German creating Power Metal, chances are it sucks.

okay i don't know why the hell we are talking about "enlightenment", you started it and i don't think it is relevant or what it means so whatever broheim
You said Americans don't get "it" and aren't even capable of getting "it". This suggest Americans lack the prerequisite enlightenment about this mystical 'it".

no, because it is in fact true that americans make asses of themselves a lot. what are you implying here?
No... because peoples of all countries make asses out of themselves.

also, congratulations on not disproving anything i've said by naming even one american black metal band that has something heartfelt, real and unique to communicate
Actually, if you reread what I wrote, I believe you'll find I've actually disproved everything you've ever written, including those things which you haven't posted online and those things you've yet to write. If you have an old 3rd Grade book report displayed proudly on your parent's refrigerator door, take it down, I've disproved it.

what can i say? there are no good american black metal bands...
You're welcome to that opinion.

...but scores of them from norway, sweden, finland, greece, france, romania, germany, poland, the czech republic and other european countries. why do you think this is, general zod? at which point does circumstantial evidence become enough to actually mean something? personally, i think we're way past it.
Kindly name the scores of good Black Metal bands from Greece.

EDIT: it has nothing to do with "nordic descent". it has to do with the culture you've grown up in. if you're of 100% norwegian blood and live in america your black metal band is still very bad
This would seem to contradict the central theme of your original argument. Regardless, I believe it's a matter of sheer numbers. The Black Metal scene started in Norway. The popularity the genre enjoyed there spawned more Black Metal bands. Metal, as a whole, is not very popular in the U.S. Consequently, the number of Black Metal bands are fewe, and the number of great Black Metal bands even fewer. However, that doesn't preclude Americans from writing great Black Metal.

Zod

Kindly name the scores of good Black Metal bands from Greece.

rotting christ
thou art lord
zemial
necromantia
order of the ebon hand
varathron
macabre omen
nocternity
kawir
legion of doom

that's ten do you need more

Hey you happy campers!
einride, have you ever been to the states? If you had, you'd notice that the "cultural decline" in the states isn't at a lower level than in your average Western European country. I don't get where all this America hate comes from, sure Usa fucks the world over in many ways, but most of the stuff that's considered bad with Usa is done by the ones with actual economic and cultural power, i.e a couple of thousands of people, in a country with over 300m people.

rotting christ
thou art lord
zemial
necromantia
order of the ebon hand
varathron
macabre omen
nocternity
kawir
legion of doom

that's ten do you need more
No. I was wondering if you'd be able to come up with at least one that was better than Wolves in the Throne Room, Absu, Agalloch, etc. And IMO, you didn't.

Zod

No. I was wondering if you'd be able to come up with at least one that was better than Wolves in the Throne Room, Absu, Agalloch, etc. And IMO, you didn't.

Zod

agalloch is not a black metal band and COME THE FUCK ON man have you even HEARD scarlet evil witching black

also even if i conceded that absu and wittr are the best bands ever you would still be pretty far up shit creek considering you have two bands in 306,254,000 people while norway has 306,254,000 bands in 4.8 million people

Zod

I agreed to you up until this point. Varathron and Necromantia blow any of those bands out of the water.

Erik, I find it difficult to believe that you don't even like "Dead As Dreams." To me, that is about the epitome of black metal done RIGHT, and I have no idea what the band's ideologies were.

"Scarlet Evil Witching Black" has some of the best and most tasteful guitar solos you'll ever hear on a BM album.

I did another experiment: I compiled a list of ten favorite BM albums (it wasn't difficult, most are no-brainers). Number of American albums? 1, the aforementioned Weakling. Number of albums from Norway: 9.....! And no, Nokturnal Mortum didn't even make the list (their best isn't even BM).

Erik, I find it difficult to believe that you don't even like "Dead As Dreams." To me, that is about the epitome of black metal done RIGHT, and I have no idea what the band's ideologies were.
i did listen to one or two songs by weakling several years ago and the album ended up on my "to buy" list but i guess it didn't feel urgent enough that the purchase actually happened. maybe i'll try again some day.

also even if i conceded that absu and wittr are the best bands ever you would still be pretty far up shit creek considering you have two bands in 306,254,000 people while norway has 306,254,000 bands in 4.8 million people
We can also look at the equation in reverse; even though Norway is much smaller, it's produced far more crappy Black Metal bands than the U.S. has.

As I said, it's a numbers game. Norway has produced more Black Metal bands, so it's consequently produced both more good ones and more bad ones.

Zod

let's say you wanted to hire someone to build an igloo in your front yard. now, do you ask the inuit or the native american? let's say you want to listen to black metal. do you listen to the album by the guy who grew up in a suburb, drives a white 1996 SATURN that his PARENTS bought him and works at WAL*MART, or the one by the proud northern aryan warrior, veiled in misty mountains and dark forests, with a sordid past of black plague, church oppression and isolation running through his VERY VEINS?

:lol: lmfao

wait, you're being facetious right?

Actually, if you reread what I wrote, I believe you'll find I've actually disproved everything you've ever written, including those things which you haven't posted online and those things you've yet to write. If you have an old 3rd Grade book report displayed proudly on your parent's refrigerator door, take it down, I've disproved it.

This is just awesome. Absolutely sig-worthy.

IMO, the best thing to come out of this thread are what seems like some very cool band recommendations - Varathron and Necromentia in particular.

wait, you're being facetious right?
no never

We can also look at the equation in reverse; even though Norway is much smaller, it's produced far more crappy Black Metal bands than the U.S. has.

As I said, it's a numbers game. Norway has produced more Black Metal bands, so it's consequently produced both more good ones and more bad ones.

Zod
according to metal-archives, the united states of america has 2236 black metal bands, norway has 554

out of those, about 2 of the american ones are good, and about 40 of the norwegian ones

now what