In Flames New Album being released in Q2 of 2014 thread

What are folks listening to in the interim?

Do you mean that as in what new albums we're listening to, or just albums in general?

I'm still LOVING the newest Soilwork album, definitely my favorite SW album ever.

Amon Amarth is always something I regularly listen to every day also.

The most recent CoB albums is also one of their bests and it's still awesome.

I'm also hoping to hear some fucking news about Wintersun soon...He should be done mixing anytime but I bet he's not and we'll have to wait until late autumn for the album or something, but you always know it's going to be an album of really good quality worth waiting for.

I wouldn't want them making TJR Part 2 at this point tbh. Without Jesper and considering Anders' current vocal abilities I could only see it being an utter disaster. If they release something in the vein of SOAPF I'll be happy enough :Smokedev:

Anders current vocal abilities would make it a disaster?.. When they played 'The Hive' in 2013 he did growl better than ever.

If I rank In Flames albums it would be
1. Jester Race
2. Lunar Strain
3. Whoracle
4. Subterranean
5. Colony
6. Clayman

Rest is a disaster in my opinion.

Anders current vocal abilities would make it a disaster?.. When they played 'The Hive' in 2013 he did growl better than ever.
He definitely does have the ability to bring out awesome growls, however, that isn't what he wants to do that much anymore (on albums, live he growls a lot more). One of my all-time favorite IF songs ''A New Dawn'' from SOAPF, he did deliver imo one of his best if not his best vocal performance ever, he even brings out a Colony-esque growl in the song. And that violin/guitar mid part...Most ''beautiful'' calm/emotional part in a IF song since Zombie Inc's interlude/solo IMO.

Here's a good The Hive performance from 2011, the way he growls the second chorus at 2:28-2:45 is just magical.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you mean that as in what new albums we're listening to, or just albums in general?

I'm still LOVING the newest Soilwork album, definitely my favorite SW album ever.

Amon Amarth is always something I regularly listen to every day also.

The most recent CoB albums is also one of their bests and it's still awesome.

I'm also hoping to hear some fucking news about Wintersun soon...He should be done mixing anytime but I bet he's not and we'll have to wait until late autumn for the album or something, but you always know it's going to be an album of really good quality worth waiting for.

All of the above! I agree, the new Soilwork really does feel like a fully committed album. I've been stuck on an early Deaftones spurt as of late; need this album to release already.

Whilst I am aware he can throw out some growls here and there, it's a bit different to do so on an entire album (and then play those songs live multiple times throughout the year). The last album he screamed/growled almost all the way through was Come Clarity, which was 8 years ago. There is a reason for that, whether you want to believe it or not.

it's a bit different to do so on an entire album (and then play those songs live multiple times throughout the year).

Well, he can't sing either, but that didn't stop him from trying...

Well, he can't sing either, but that didn't stop him from trying...

Listen to Disconnected and tell me that again with a straight face.

"oHhHhhHh I FEEEEL LIKE SHIT... but at least I feel somethinnggg" :headbang:

Seems like the new album titles initials is SC, hard to guess what it will be, but some retards on facebook are guessing ''Second Clayman'' ''Second Colony'' and they are serious.

Also a new promo pic, or well not the actual promo pic but a picture taken at their promo pic session.
1025467_625935740788522_439888285_o.jpg

Well their website has the Jester Head with what looks like a pause symbol or the Roman numeral for 2 (II). I jokingly said it's either a sequel album or they are teaming up with KitKat.

I hate when bands tease fans with stupid stuff for months before actually releasing something nice (studio report, single...).

Well if you looked at their Facebook/Twitter they are postponing ALL of their summer shows and said ''new dates will be presented shortly''. First I thought that there was some album delay but since they seem to be doing the photoshoots and shit but I think it will still be released around June, but something else must've happened since they are not doing any summer tours, and the pause button at the homepage is probably referring to something being on hold, at least that is my interpretation.

Maybe someone or several in the band has some new plans or something urgent in the summer that is precedent of touring. Hope it's not something serious like family sickness or something, I guess we'll see in time.

I thought it has been very quiet from IF camp regarding the new album, but then I looked back on when SOAPF was released. It was done recorded and mixed around the exact same time (December/January) and there wasn't even tracklisting, artwork and release date until March and the studio reports started in mid-April so it really isn't that weird if u compare it to last time. But it is March tomorrow so I hope we get artwork and tracklisting in a week or something.

Fucking hell...looks like the reason for the tour being canceled is that the album is postponed for some reason.

''Do want to hear some absolutely fantastic news? The new album is on its way! Well autumn/fall to be more precise. Anders mentioned about it during his acceptance speech at the Bandit Rock Awards for Best Swedish Live Act. As soon as definite dates are posted I will let you all know #SC #IF2014''

That fucking sucks. So instead of hearing news soon we'll probably have to wait until May or June or something to even hear something about the album

Yep, that fuckin' sucks!

Screw IF, new Insomnium is coming out in late april.

Bad omens guys. I think we're going to get another STYE... or worse, ASOP.

Track 1... Bottled Part II

:puke:

There's a new ''update'' if you would like to call it that. In Flames posted on Facebook: The new album title contains 11 letters. And it's the 11th studio album. ‪#‎IF2014‬ ‪#‎SC‬

Now you might be able to guess it out, any qualified guesses? And I assume SC is two words also, must be.

One guy on Facebook guessed at ''Self Control'', I think that might be a pretty good guess.

Whilst I am aware he can throw out some growls here and there, it's a bit different to do so on an entire album (and then play those songs live multiple times throughout the year). The last album he screamed/growled almost all the way through was Come Clarity, which was 8 years ago. There is a reason for that, whether you want to believe it or not.

I'm sorry but that's just some pure bullshit. A lot of vocalist is getting better by the years. I saw Slayer 2013 and Araya performed better than he did when big 4 was here in Sweden. I've seen Behemoth 2004, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014 and Nergal is just getting better and better. That's just a few of my examples to know that vocalists is getting better the longer they do it. The only and real problem with Anders (and In Flames in general) is that that they got the disease called "mainstream". They could go back to the their old roots, Anders could growl like in Jester Race/Whoracle it's just that their later stuff has made them more famous and been getting more fans so they will never go back to what I enjoy about them.

I'm sorry but that's just some pure bullshit. A lot of vocalist is getting better by the years. I saw Slayer 2013 and Araya performed better than he did when big 4 was here in Sweden. I've seen Behemoth 2004, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014 and Nergal is just getting better and better. That's just a few of my examples to know that vocalists is getting better the longer they do it. The only and real problem with Anders (and In Flames in general) is that that they got the disease called "mainstream". They could go back to the their old roots, Anders could growl like in Jester Race/Whoracle it's just that their later stuff has made them more famous and been getting more fans so they will never go back to what I enjoy about them.
Or...They just write what they want to and aren't thinking ''this will get us a lot more fans if we write the songs like this''. Just look at the bands the members of IF listens to nowadays. Also they grew tired and bored of writing the same shit that is why they experimented and tried new stuff over the years, imagine the Colony album without the samples and drum loops, it added a new flavour to many songs and made them better imo. The title track is a good example.

I remember reading and interview with Fredrik Nordström from maybe 10years back and he said
''Around the third album, they wanted to stop using the melodic guitar harmonies. I was the guy saying, “no, no, we have to keep the melodies. We have to do the harmonies.” “No! We are so bored of harmonies!” (Nordström now takes an authoritarian tone) “You have a responsibility to your fans! And they are expecting this stuff."

But I don't agree about the ''responsibility'' thing at all. Bands should be able to write whatever they want, if people like it nor not that's not their fault, they shouldn't cater to peoples opinions and write music they don't like themselves.

You are right that they COULD go back to their roots, but they do not want to, and it would not sound as good anyway. They've already done The Jester Race and Whoracle, why do it again? Maybe for some like you, the newer albums suck, but for me, I love them as much as I love all the old albums. I mean two of my favorite IF songs are Stand Ablaze and Fear Is The Weakness...They are on two different sides of the spectrum, music wise, but I still love both of them.

Or...They just write what they want to and aren't thinking ''this will get us a lot more fans if we write the songs like this''. Just look at the bands the members of IF listens to nowadays. Also they grew tired and bored of writing the same shit that is why they experimented and tried new stuff over the years, imagine the Colony album without the samples and drum loops, it added a new flavour to many songs and made them better imo. The title track is a good example.

I remember reading and interview with Fredrik Nordström from maybe 10years back and he said
''Around the third album, they wanted to stop using the melodic guitar harmonies. I was the guy saying, “no, no, we have to keep the melodies. We have to do the harmonies.” “No! We are so bored of harmonies!” (Nordström now takes an authoritarian tone) “You have a responsibility to your fans! And they are expecting this stuff."

But I don't agree about the ''responsibility'' thing at all. Bands should be able to write whatever they want, if people like it nor not that's not their fault, they shouldn't cater to peoples opinions and write music they don't like themselves.

You are right that they COULD go back to their roots, but they do not want to, and it would not sound as good anyway. They've already done The Jester Race and Whoracle, why do it again? Maybe for some like you, the newer albums suck, but for me, I love them as much as I love all the old albums. I mean two of my favorite IF songs are Stand Ablaze and Fear Is The Weakness...They are on two different sides of the spectrum, music wise, but I still love both of them.

Their fanbase grew a lot with their newer stuff. You can't deny that it got to do why they changed their sound. Had a talk with Björn last year and discussed music with him where he mentioned Death being one of his biggest influence. Daniel said he got his influence from different Detah Metal bands (didn't mention any specific) and then we had Anders... "Atheist used to be such a big influence to me but nowdays I'm actually more for Skrillex and some songs from the radio." REALLY?! I'm not surprised with what they've turned into. Growing fanbase -> Power and money. Which equals madness. I've lost my hope for them.